The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

No more Nova

(PSN)KyomaSatomi

I think I'll be sidelining Nova. I've been looking to make her work for the way I want to play, but things didn't pan out.

Normally, I like tanky frames, frames that can eat some damage. Nova does have that, but at the expense of another thing I'd like to use her for; the mobility of her wormholes.

If you want the max damage reduction, you have to give up on those portals. And I don't wanna loose either.

An impossible choice.

Therefore: no Nova for me.

• Like 1

You know some people would argue having different options for different builds on a warframe is a good thing. You could always have one loadout, lets call it "A", and another loadout, lets call that one "B", and switch between the two.

Edited by Skaleek
  • Like 15

vor 4 Minuten schrieb Skaleek:

You know some people would argue having different options for different builds on a warframe is a good thing. You could always have one loadout, lets call it "A", and another loadout, lets call that one "B", and switch between the two.

You can't switch your loadout mid-mission tho. And I'd prefer to have the DR and the portals in the same build so I can use both.

Just now, (PS4)KyomaSatomi said:

You can't switch your loadout mid-mission tho. And I'd prefer to have the DR and the portals in the same build so I can use both.

Yes we'd all love superior mobility and effective health but alas, sometimes you have to choose between the two, or find a nice middle ground.

• Like 9

vor 1 Minute schrieb Skaleek:

Yes we'd all love superior mobility and effective health but alas, sometimes you have to choose between the two, or find a nice middle ground.

My middleground right now is to keep her range at default and give her as much duration as I can with the mods I currently have. She's still much too squishy for my taste (I'm used to play Rhino tho)

1 minute ago, (PS4)KyomaSatomi said:

My middleground right now is to keep her range at default and give her as much duration as I can with the mods I currently have. She's still much too squishy for my taste (I'm used to play Rhino tho)

Nova's use of Mol prime typically gives her a form of DR in terms of not letting the enemies do anything. Not to mention null star doesnt need to give you 90% DR. you could settle for 50~70% DR and still feel pretty tanky. You can also use stretch, augur reach and cunning drift to give yourself a lot of range without losing any power strength... but thats 3 mod slots. Honestly just stretch gives you a pretty decently sized wormhole.

• Like 5

vor 3 Minuten schrieb Skaleek:

Nova's use of Mol prime typically gives her a form of DR in terms of not letting the enemies do anything. Not to mention null star doesnt need to give you 90% DR. you could settle for 50~70% DR and still feel pretty tanky. You can also use stretch, augur reach and cunning drift to give yourself a lot of range without losing any power strength... but thats 3 mod slots. Honestly just stretch gives you a pretty decently sized wormhole.

I got Intensify for strength and 3 duration mods. But the enemies don't seem to be affected by her slow at all. Whatever I do, I get downed. THerefore, it's better for me to use other frames I can work better with.

25 minutes ago, (PS4)KyomaSatomi said:

I got Intensify for strength and 3 duration mods. But the enemies don't seem to be affected by her slow at all. Whatever I do, I get downed. THerefore, it's better for me to use other frames I can work better with.

it takes time to get used to her,very for rhino players

Unsurprising given my avatar, but I quite like her. Interception is definitely her shiniest role, but I can use her for anything in normal content. Trouble is, yeah, her range has to be below 100% and her efficiency can't have more than Streamline, so her portals aren't going to be useful except for cheesing laser grids (and triggering Escape Velocity if I'm using that).

I agree with Skaleek that Narrow Minded and Primed Continuity for 75% is enough DR from Null Star. Throwing two more mods at it to reach 90% (and consider that going from taking 25% of damage to taking 10% is itself a 60% reduction) isn't a bad choice, but it's costly. In practice I think it's more useful for survivability to be able to have all three of Vitality, Quick Thinking, and Hunter Adrenaline on. Like da_blok is saying, you get your health twice that way, and that's not nothing. 

But I also have the Zenurik and Naramon passives, which means my void dash is pretty similar to Wormhole for mobility purposes in practice. Wormhole is instantaneous and void dashing is not, but it's still filling a similar enough role that I don't feel that I really need Wormhole. 

I'd entirely agree that Nova in no way needs to be designed such that she can only use one of these abilities at once and would certainly not suddenly become OP with both. It wasn't really a deliberate choice, she's just old enough for the game to have changed around her and hasn't had a rework, but is lucky to have remained viable because some bits of her kit work well in the game as it is now, if not quite as originally intended.

Edited by CopperBezel

vor 2 Minuten schrieb Berzerkules:

Tried using escape velocity augment mod? I sometimes use a <100 range nova build with that augment. I cover more ground with that 18 sec long 50% speed boost than I would with a high range worm hole in most missions. 

I don't have any augments for her. And honestly, I wanna avoid going below default with her range. It's a personal issue for me.

vor 10 Minuten schrieb CopperBezel:

her range has to be below 100% and her efficiency can't have more than Streamline, so her portals aren't going to be useful except for cheesing laser grids

That's quite the point of contention for me. Not only makes that low range her portals pretty much unsable due to the fact that it is faster to just bullet jump in that case, but I also have quite the issue with negative stats in general.

2 minutes ago, (PS4)KyomaSatomi said:

but I also have quite the issue with negative stats in general.

well you can't have it all roads! the art of modding your frame is to compromise, sacrificing what you aren't going to use as much to favour what you will be using often. Negative stats aren't a bad thing, as long as the trade-off is worth it in your eyes.

• Like 1

I don't have any augments for her. And honestly, I wanna avoid going below default with her range. It's a personal issue for me.

I would suggest using augments for her. At least test molecular fission and escape velocity before you abandon the frame entirely. You say you main Rhino, I could not play rhino without his augment iron shrapnel so I could recast iron skin. It's all just personal preference though. If the frame doesn't work for you no one can make you play it. I've just recently started playing nova and am thoroughly enjoying her.

vor 6 Minuten schrieb (PS4)robotwars7:

well you can't have it all roads! the art of modding your frame is to compromise, sacrificing what you aren't going to use as much to favour what you will be using often. Negative stats aren't a bad thing, as long as the trade-off is worth it in your eyes.

THe only thing that I would sacrifice if it gets me any benefit is her 2. It's so clunky to use and any decently modded primary or secondary can be more effective at dealing damage.

I can't scrap that ability tho because it doesn't give me a benefit towards the other ones.

ANd in my eyes, negative stats mainly are not a good trade off.

Maybe, but if she stays so squishy or forces me to abandon her mobility, I don't see any future for me using her.

You aren't running molecular fission so you are not maintaining her damage reduction by replenishing null star stacks. Of course she will be squishy with 65 base armor and dwindling damage reduction. 

• Like 1