The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×
The Lotus Eaters: Known Issues ×

Railjack Motion Controls

(NSW)Kadet

Thanks for adding motion control support into railjack things, which also makes side turrets much more usable.  But some feedback:

When I first launched into a mission, hopped in the pilot seat, immediately the ship started nosing up as if I was holding right-analog down (yes, I invert Y).  Moving the joystick would speed up or slow down this rolling, but not enough to stop it.

I restored all controller defaults, and that seemed to fix it (though then I had to take time to put all my settings back).  Doing so, I narrowed in on it being a bug somewhere in Archwing/Railjack motion control toggling that makes this happen. I wish I could be more specific, but there seems to be some mutual exclusion in the options that didn't make sense, and I basically trail-and-error'd until I found something that worked.

Also, I noticed the side turret camera+motion control is different for the Pilot.  For the pilot, right-analog only steers, while motion controls only aim.  I'm adaptable to this, but it takes some getting used to. It might be better (a more consistent experience) for the pilot to not have this distinction between inputs, and behave like the side turrets, archwing, or even plain warframe, where the motion controls "fine tune" what right-analog does, adding to it instead of being separate.

I hope that makes sense.

I’m also experiencing the “upward drifting” issue when piloting a railjack. Holding the left joystick forward to move seems to make the railjack go up. The only way to keep this from happening is to aim down with the right joystick. This makes it difficult to aim while piloting. 

I've learned that motion controls within the pilot seat seem to function not just by pointing the controller, but by tilting and then pointing it perpendicular to the direction you want to go (e.g. tilting the controller to the left and then pointing it to that direction). So, it would seem that the controls are more optimized for steering than aiming.

Still, the turrets otherwise have become far more easier to manage than just using the stick.

Edited by (NSW)Glaive-012

I've tried piloting the Railjack and this is what I'm experiencing:

When using the Nintendo Switch Pro Controller or when using the Joy-Con (detracted from the Nintendo Switch and either used with a Joy-Con Grip or with the controllers on each hand):

• The ship does indeed go up very easily, but it doesn't do it indefinitely.
    • When attempting to go down using the controller, it does eventually do so, but it's extremely slow and sometimes I need to make an exaggerated down gesture in order for it to go down.
  • When attempting to move left and right normally (just by shifting the controller like how you would normally shift it in order for the camera to go left or right when just using your Warframe) nothing happens. It's when you are rotating it 90° clockwise while turning right or 90° counter-clockwise while moving left does the game decide that you want to move the controller to the right or left respectively.

When using the Joy-Con controllers (attached to the Nintendo Switch):

• The ship goes up exactly the way as you described.
  • Turning left and right is don the same way as I described while using the Pro Controller and Joy-Con in the specified positions.

Furthermore, when putting the Switch onto the dock (while only using the Joy-Con attached to the console), the ship will move up very quickly (and will do so indefinitely until I connect the Pro Controller).

Using the turrets works as intended (both with the Pro Controller and the Joy-Con (in all possible positions)). But as you said, the piloting controls and turret controls are pretty inconsistent and the turrets should be used as the way to control the ship. 

I would like to do some direct-feed video recordings while showing my hands on the controllers themselves in order to show the issues, but that would break rule 5 of the forum's guidelines, so I won't be doing so unless someone at DE says it's fine.

Edited by (NSW)MasterJ93
Some formatting.

It's not bugged, it just doesn't work like people expect. With the Motion Controls Steer Railjack option on, it kicks the controls into some weird mode that expects you to be holding the controller level. That works sort of fine if you're playing with the Switch docked, but it's terrible for handheld, and probably not what you want anyway.

Turning the option off doesn't revert to the pre-patch state, it keeps the motion controls but makes them behave in an awesome way, swiveling the aim like we're used to but doing so without moving the Railjack itself. It effectively turns the front gun into another slightly mobile turret.

On 2020-02-09 at 4:05 AM, (NSW)Jothki said:

It's not bugged, it just doesn't work like people expect. With the Motion Controls Steer Railjack option on, it kicks the controls into some weird mode that expects you to be holding the controller level. That works sort of fine if you're playing with the Switch docked, but it's terrible for handheld, and probably not what you want anyway.

Turning the option off doesn't revert to the pre-patch state, it keeps the motion controls but makes them behave in an awesome way, swiveling the aim like we're used to but doing so without moving the Railjack itself. It effectively turns the front gun into another slightly mobile turret.

Huh, I didn't even know about this option but that sounds perfect! 

The default setting is very confusing. I kept wondering why my ship was drifting to the side or up without me doing anything. 

edit: I tried turning off this setting and piloting works great now!

Edited by (NSW)ohgodzilla

On 2020-02-09 at 3:05 AM, (NSW)Jothki said:

As far as piloting, I'm not against it being like it is where the motion controls aim, but the right-analog steers.  There's some pros to this, for example letting the pilot hold steady while someone fires the forward artillery or slingshot, at the same time the pilot can still be a little useful and fire at things without moving the ship.  But it is inconsistent from all other uses of motion controls.  However, a con to this is it opens up "drift" issues in the motion controls. After piloting for  while, when I fly in a straight line, the guns are aimed off at an angle even though my posture hasn't changed, due to how the motion controls have drifted.  In "normal" usage the right-analog is constantly correcting for this drift since they control the same thing (aiming/camera).

On 2020-02-08 at 4:00 AM, (NSW)MasterJ93 said:

When using the Joy-Con controllers (attached to the Nintendo Switch):

• The ship goes up exactly the way as you described.
  • Turning left and right is don the same way as I described while using the Pro Controller and Joy-Con in the specified positions.

I should have noted in my original post, I only use the Switch in handheld mode with joycons attached.  So I don't have any feedback on the Pro controller, or other setups.

Edited by (NSW)Kadet

19 minutes ago, (NSW)Kadet said:

However, a con to this is it opens up "drift" issues in the motion controls. After piloting for  while, when I fly in a straight line, the guns are aimed off at an angle even though my posture hasn't changed, due to how the motion controls have drifted.  In "normal" usage the right-analog is constantly correcting for this drift since they control the same thing (aiming/camera).

You can hit the "X" button to reset the camera to center!

• Like 1