Dante Unbound: Known Issues ×
Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Strange Periodic Lag in Orbiter

Damocles

So after the most recent update, I noticed lag while in my orbiter. I turned on my frame rate chart and noticed a periodic spike in frame time that occurs quickly 10 times with the last spike slightly delayed from the rest (see far left of picture). I timed this periodic event and it seems to happen every 60 seconds, and this wasn't previously here before the patch. I do admit I have a lot of moving parts inside the ship but my frame rate is usually around 120. Disregard the FPS numbers in the same left panel (Those values sample different intervals).unknown.png

Could it have something to do with the optimizations they did to Navigation?

On 2020-02-18 at 10:34 PM, [DE]Megan said:

Rewrote how Navigation caches the active session counts to reduce latency and reduce server load (it should now update roughly 5x as frequently).

Personally I haven't noticed anything but would make sense if the hitch was network related

There is some issue with the network code right now as it's spamming a bunch of error codes. (per someone looking at their logs) If you have a second monitor, open up resource monitor and just hang out in your orbiter. As soon as the lagging/hitching starts, you'll start to see your network I/O usage spike at 60 second intervals coinciding with a lag spike. Even though there is no spike in data being sent or received, network i/o is being spammed which I believe what is causing the lag. 

I'm so glad I found this thread, I thought my computer was dying or something... It is indeed happening for me every 60 seconds with a bit of a network spike.

Do we have any news on this front, though? Any fix incoming or anything we can do to mitigate it for now? It's pretty annoying.

On 2020-03-03 at 6:49 AM, PyroPimp said:

I'm so glad I found this thread, I thought my computer was dying or something... It is indeed happening for me every 60 seconds with a bit of a network spike.

Do we have any news on this front, though? Any fix incoming or anything we can do to mitigate it for now? It's pretty annoying.

There is a larger thread about this in the performance section of the PC Bugs forum. I have an active ticket open with support. I will post any news I find in that other thread.

If you open your ee.log right after this happens and look at the bottom there's a good chance you'll see what does it. Honestly a lot of the micro optimizations have been doing it all over the game for me lately. It seems to be mostly spot loading because the game isn't loading as many assets at a time. Personally I think they need to prioritize more of what's being loaded though. Yes this cuts down on memory usage, a lot, but the amount of times I have something stutter the game for a half a second for a spot load now is fairly often