The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Small shout out to the EXP system

(NSW)Greybones

Hi DE. Just wanted to give a nod to how I like how EXP works in this game.

A lot of other games (Warframe included) use an idea of increasing levels and numbers as one contributing factor to a sense of progression, and EXP is an invented value system (I feel there’s often a sentiment of higher value for a larger number, despite the actual impact it has on the bar) and is often feedback that something’s happening each time you engage with the world or (more often) win a fight. In many other games, though, once you’ve gone through the motions and you’re, I don’t know, 10 levels above your enemy, I feel there’s little incentive (from an increasing numbers view) to hang around since the things you can do within that area are contributing a lot less to that sense of progression, if at all.

That’s just from a rising-numbers point of view, mind. I can definitely respect hanging around for other things, like Guild Wars 2 world building or maybe it’s just a really enjoyable place to be.

I like how low-level enemies in Warframe still give EXP, and that the amount is not insanely scaled as their levels increase. I find it lets me repeatedly go through the earlier, low-level mission stuff with low-ranked equipment and have fights that give EXP towards levelling said equipment. Some of the changes you mentioned in your most recent devstream will actually positively impact the experience for me!

I‘m glad that I don’t have to wait for a fissure to have a proper fight through the Gas City of Jupiter again, because I can choose to strip back my mods. I don’t need a Nightmare, just some dragon keys, to fight alongside Kubrows against the Grineer while simultaneously fending off said Kubrows (!), lost in the verdant jungles of Earth (dated though it is, it’s still quite pretty). And that I can choose how I want to play, whether it’s doing sorties or levelling my MOA and watching its burst rifle rounds hilariously flying everywhere except into the guy right next to it (bless its heart, it’s trying!), with the pleasant tick of EXP numbers layering on top of other reasons I have for doing what I do.

I reckon that’s it, actually! I like that Warframe lets me choose how I play, with progress marked not by numbers, but by options, and the EXP stuff is a (relatively) small factor in how it lets me do so. Just realised as I was writing.

I personally view video games as creative, impressive tools, well worth honing and improving, to help players persue their own fun experiences, transient as everything is (and what isn’t? We’re all for the grave!), and I reckon you guys have given me a great one, cause I enjoy using it. Thanks for that!

Edited by (NSW)Greybones
  • Like 2

This is why I enjoy it too. There's always something to do and each task always offer growth and rewards. Even fishing has multiple rewards tied to it. Add to the fact that it takes years, not weeks or months, to get most of what the game offers (as well as the leveling of those offers) is a really enjoyable experience and a superb value that I think some players don't seem to realize.

Yes one of the first or if not my first game where Leveling up is not all the same. The integration of farming weapons and frames is a neat way of ranking up. This concept is where DE has succeeded any other game I've experiences. We need more ideas like this DE. 🙂

• Like 1

The flipside of this argument is that you aren't rewarded for doing high level content. It essentially puts a soft cap on how hard you can grind for experience, have fun Focus farming when the most optimal ratio of EHP to Affinity is level 15.

Imagine if doing high level missions meant that you could level weapons more notably faster. If doing 5 waves of Hydron 10 times wasn't basically the same as doing 50 waves of Hydron. And that doesn't even factor in that 50 waves of Hydron is far more difficult than 5 waves 10 times.

Hot Take: Affinity should scale linearly instead of logarithmically.

Edit: I really do get the point you are making, but having a good leveling expierence at low levels doesn't mean that it should scale so poorly. On the last Devstream Scott admitted that all of the scaling equations were balanced around "high level" being level 30. And when you look at how the math comes together, if "high level" was level 30 then I think that ALL of the enemy scaling equations would be great. But this isn't 2013 Warframe, in 2020 we consistently see level 100+ enemies, it is at these levels that stuff falls apart.

Edited by DrBorris
  • Like 1

Warframe's leveling system is actually one of my favorites, some weapons will be better than others naturally but unlike games where it's a constant mad rush to find a new capable weapon every other level since the one you just got is now obsolete from leveling up. Warframe is a bit rough at the start with starter weapons and very few useful mods, but as you level you can use a max rank warframe to level up brand new weapons with ease that I've not seen in other games. I've only recently thought that it would be nice to have a system where your weapons get soft stat bonuses as you level them, things like reload, fire rate, and accuracy maybe but not actual damage. 

11 minutes ago, DrBorris said:

The flipside of this argument is that you aren't rewarded for doing high level content. It essentially puts a soft cap on how hard you can grind for experience, have fun Focus farming when the most optimal ratio of EHP to Affinity is level 15.

Imagine if doing high level missions meant that you could level weapons more notably faster. If doing 5 waves of Hydron 10 times wasn't basically the same as doing 50 waves of Hydron. And that doesn't even factor in that 50 waves of Hydron is far more difficult than 5 waves 10 times.

Per enemy you do get more xp as you increase the enemy level, but I could see the higher level stuff rewarding more xp if only for focus grinds. I wouldn't want to take a level 1 Warframe or weapon into a really high level mission unless you know people that will carry you. 

4 hours ago, DrBorris said:

Edit: I really do get the point you are making, but having a good leveling expierence at low levels doesn't mean that it should scale so poorly. On the last Devstream Scott admitted that all of the scaling equations were balanced around "high level" being level 30. And when you look at how the math comes together, if "high level" was level 30 then I think that ALL of the enemy scaling equations would be great. But this isn't 2013 Warframe, in 2020 we consistently see level 100+ enemies, it is at these levels that stuff falls apart.

I get you, you’ve made valid points.

The topic was meant to be a message of mine floating on the breeze aimed at DE, not an argument to convince people one way or the other, and I wasn’t looking for a discussion. Just a small thanks for their part in my fun.

It looks like you’ve given this thought. You should make your own topic and I’ll have a look at it

Edited by (NSW)Greybones