Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Tenno Torture, Terrorism, And Manslaughter

AnonCat

How the hell are we the good guys here? Is this a case of ludonarrative dissonance?

An ancient, blood soaked clan has been awakened by an even older force, hell bent on bringing death. Now they are hammering the people of the Sol System into gradual genocide. We commit torture, terrorism, and manslaughter for the Lotus and her unspoken agenda.

You could say we fight to break the stagnation of the System, strength through bledshed and chaos.

You could say we fight for survival, we are never attacked.

You could say we fight for revenge, the sins were committed by those long dead.

What are the Tenno trying to do? We read only their actions, and the actions speak of a horror that reaches farther than we can concieve. The Lotus is leading us into horrible things.

Give us some narrative depth and insight, GOD DAMNIT! I'm experiencing ludonudo discopants.

Edit: To all those saying, this is war and the Tenno are simply taking reactionary measures, I agree with you. Jeez, peeps are hard pressed to see the point of my original post.

The Tenno are doing horrible things to horrible people and have become monsters themselves. A system of monsters, everyone just as base as the infested.

Edited by AnonCat

In war, both sides are the good side according to their respective groups.

Technically, nobody is the good guy.

The Grineer kill us, Corpus and Infested.

The Corpus kill us, Grineer and Infested.

The Infested kill us, Grineer and Corpus

We kill Grineer, Corpus and Infested.

This is a war, we are the good guys according to us.

One thing's for sure, this hasn't been discussed many times before.

First of all, the Grineer and Corpus wants to research the sleeping Tenno in their cryopods, and it's one of our jobs to not let that happen. That doesn't sound unreasonable to me since, you know, their your brethren.

Second, the Grineer hate you, and are all a bunch of clones waiting to get replaced anyways. Not like any of them really matter.

And third, Corpus may not be clones, but they're greedy, wanna-be robots that are bent on money and power. I have no sympathy for them, even if they have done good things.

There may be more reasons, but these reasons are all I need to kill.

Grineer plain wanna kill any Tenno on sight. Corpus dissect our Warframes (including the fleshy thing inside it).

Grineer Empire aims to wrest total dominion of the Origin system, and they aren't shy of slaughter. Vay Hek isn't beyond assassinating anyone who are in the way of his political career. Tyl Regor seeks to perfect the art of genetics and cloning so that they can churn out perfect genebred soldiers.

Corpus... I don't know what their agenda is. They manufacture and sell anything to the highest bidders, that includes some weapons that we use. Nef Anyo is in charge of the Corpus solar rail systems, and has been using them to obtain Cryopods with dormant warframes for resale to rogue scientists and splinter groups. The corpus also makes use of "Indoctrination Temples".

We might be bad, but in the Origin System, everyone's Evil.

Edited by Shion963

we are not the good or bad .. we are the keepers of balance so not one side has the advantage over the other while trying to keep the blance between good and evil

There's no indication of the Grinner or Corpus being good or evil. Only a few things are known to us about them to begin with. They're both power obsessed to say the very least because they want our powers, but can only replicate them.

I think it's actually far worse than what OP suggests...

I think Tenno are just uncharacterized blank slates, vehicles for players to experience grindy gameplay with glimpses of potential for greatness. The art style is very suggestive, the soundtrack gives an asian flair, and then then there is similarities to Dark Sector (prequel to WF), but it ends there.

There sadly is no lore to speak of. Sorry to be a party pooper. Only lore we get are disjointed scraps from youtube trailers and half baked in-game encyclopedia entries. And Lotus babysitting us with pointless inane chatter during missions.

I think it's actually far worse than what OP suggests...

I think Tenno are just uncharacterized blank slates, vehicles for players to experience grindy gameplay with glimpses of potential for greatness. The art style is very suggestive, the soundtrack gives an asian flair, and then then there is similarities to Dark Sector (prequel to WF), but it ends there.

There sadly is no lore to speak of. Sorry to be a party pooper. Only lore we get are disjointed scraps from youtube trailers and half baked in-game encyclopedia entries. And Lotus babysitting us with pointless inane chatter during missions.

Aww way to kill it.

I'm sure most, if not all of us, realize what's going on with the lore, and there have already been plenty of people with paragraphs upon paragraphs complaining about the lack of it. So to compensate, we're trying not to break the fourth wall while explaining this lack of lore countless times to our fellow Tenno.

The Grineer use cloning technology along with what appears to be mandatory military training to some extent. They are a power and land-hungry people, and use any means necessary to get what they want. The fact that their population is likely made up almost entirely of clones means that they are able to show little to know regard for their soldiers, or even for their own citizens. Everyone is replaceable, and any variation or sense of individuality is scarce and probably met with immediate and extreme retribution. They can conduct battles like World War I Generals, whose solution to any situation is just "MORE MEN." They appear to be responsible for the extinction of entire races, and every other smaller power that was present at the time of their uprising. In fact, I would be willing to be that they only keep the Corpus around -- and this is always tentative because it would seem they are always just on the brink of all-out war -- is because A) It's convenient for them and B) They know the Corpus have the means and ability to cause severe, possibly irreversible damage to their empire.

In short, the Grineer have committed (and will readily commit again) genocides of seemingly impossible proportions, likely more than all of recorded history. While the exact details of their agenda remain somewhat veiled, it is clear that the "Sisters" only care about two things: Expansion of their Empire, and preserving it at all costs.

As for the Corpus, they are just as power-hungry. The only difference is that they seek expansion in a corporate sense, as well as the advancement of technology. It is said that they worship the Orokin technologies, and that they have vast Indoctrination Temples, which may imply that brainwashing or some other form of thought-control may be taking place behind the scenes. They do not care for any other race or group of people unless it is convenient for them. They only care about the Tenno in the sense that they want to dissect, research, and use them. And they only care for the Grineer's money, and could likely care less about the welfare of their race or culture.

Meanwhile, the Tenno are here to exterminate the threat posed by the constant expansion of the Grineer, while preserving both the secrets of the Orokin, and their own culture. It is unclear how many Tenno are left, and each one that is killed represents an enormous blow to their culture. Entire generations of technology and tradition, gone to waste. Of course, the amnesia would make that a moot point, however it would appear that not every Tenno completely loses their memory... Either that, or the Lotus is slowly teaching them their past.

In truth, the only ethically "neutral" faction would be the Infested. They appear to have no real motivations except those innate in every living creature, and especially true for viruses: Survive and Procreate. Of course, this is quite different for the Infested due to the fact that they are technically not "all alive," with the actual virus said to be nanobots that mimic and manipulate organic tissues. They also appear to have some kind of hivemind or shared intelligence... However it may be that they are just fulfilling their programming, and only really gain sentience after extended periods of time, when a large number of them are able to share processing power (similar to the Geth from the Mass Effect series). It may not have even been intended for them to get so out of hand in the first place, if what is said about Golem is true, and that the Technocyte Plague is essentially nothing more than a bioweapon... but it may be that they predate the Orokin, as well.

So, basically, nobody has their hands clean here. At the very least, the Tenno are seeking to defend both themselves and their culture, as well as but a halt to the expansion of the bloodthirsty and oppressive Grineer. A lesser of three evils, if you will.

Edited by DroppedaBeat

Aww way to kill it.

I'm sure most, if not all of us, realize what's going on with the lore, and there have already been plenty of people with paragraphs upon paragraphs complaining about the lack of it. So to compensate, we're trying not to break the fourth wall while explaining this lack of lore countless times to our fellow Tenno.

I said sorry! :P

Also if i had to theorize with what we have to go on, i'd have to agree that Tenno basically are nothing more than a bunch of technologically superior murderous space pirate bullies. Heck, even the Grineer and Corpus will cooperate occasionally. Tenno slaughter everybody on sight, period.

Where does it ever say that we are the good guys...?

Steve said as much on Livestreams. Something along the line of "Trust me guys, it all makes sense, you just don't have the big picture"

pls share with us the great picture? k thx

How the hell are we the good guys here? Is this a case of ludonarrative dissonance?

An ancient, blood soaked clan has been awakened by an even older force, hell bent on bringing death. Now they are hammering the people of the Sol System into gradual genocide. We commit torture, terrorism, and manslaughter for the Lotus and her unspoken agenda.

You could say we fight to break the stagnation of the System, strength through bledshed and chaos.

You could say we fight for survival, we are never attacked.

You could say we fight for revenge, the sins were committed by those long dead.

What are the Tenno trying to do? We read only their actions, and the actions speak of a horror that reaches farther than we can concieve. The Lotus is leading us into horrible things.

Give us some narrative depth and insight, GOD DAMNIT!

I'm experiencing ludonudo discopants.

have you seen the trailer for MGS5? Naked Snake is a good guy... still...

Sometimes good guys have to do bad guy things to make a difference in a twisted world...

I said sorry! :P

Also if i had to theorize with what we have to go on, i'd have to agree that Tenno basically are nothing more than a bunch of technologically superior murderous space pirate bullies. Heck, even the Grineer and Corpus will cooperate occasionally. Tenno slaughter everybody on sight, period.

We co-operated with the Corpus once to attack the Grineer.

Edited by DecapitatingJim

We don't even know which side is good. We only happened to be summoned back by the Lotus whom we know nearly nothing about. If anything, we are to the Lotus what the Grineers are to Vor; we just happen to be fewer in numbers but vastly more competent in what we do than they ever could.

Hell, the Corpus, other than wanting the Tenno/Orokin tech for themselves for profit, doesn't really have any 'evil' agenda (unless you consider aggressive capitalism to be).

The Tenno stand in a morally ambiguous grey area : we kill for what we believe is right, however that 'right' is based on what little knowledge the Lotus provides us. It would be no surprise to learn that a LOT is being held back from our knowledge knowing that if we learned it, we'd probably reconsider our standing with the Lotus. Likewise, perhaps the Lotus is genuinely trying to do good in a universe that now has different moral standards which places the Lotus (and us by extension) as a rebellious uprising or terrorists in the other faction's eyes.

After all, there's a reason we never hear about Corpus and Grineer non-combattants : where are they? For them, the Tenno might well be the true monsters.