Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Arbitration revive mechanic abuse

Endorphinz

I know the topic was hot for a while whenever the changes were first made to arbitrations, but now that I've started getting back into them, the limitations of the current system is glaring at me once again.

Simply put, the current revive system is too easy to grief the party with. I had only done a handful of arbitrations, and I ran into troublemakers very quickly. First was a mission where someone simply went AFK and died. The second was an orokin defense map, where a player was actively killing themselves in the defense lasers just for a chance to become irradiated and kill the rest of the team.

So what's the big deal if someone decides to die? Well if you've played arbitrations you'd know full well. The token debuff. You can avoid the revive tokens like the plague, but sooner or later you're going to run over one, or one is going to drop right on top of you, and then you're stuck with the debuff, slowly stacking up on you. So as long as a player remains dead, whether or not on purpose, the entire team suffers. Most players are just trying to earn rewards, but there are the few that actively grief or just leech off others' efforts.

How can this be fixed? I don't know. We know that instant perma-death wasn't that fun (I particularly didn't like it, so I'm glad for the reviving potential) but there needs to be a way to 'opt-in' for reviving other players in these high-stakes missions. If a player is too much of a burden on the team, we should be able to make the choice to leave them in the grave and not get any penalties for it.

• Like 2

I believe the debuff is intended to serve as an incentive to revive dead players, without it some people might not bother. If someone dies on purpose to spoil the game for you, it is probably best to simply report him. There will eventually be a suspension, if enough reports pile up.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Traumtulpe said:

I believe the debuff is intended to serve as an incentive to revive dead players, without it some people might not bother. If someone dies on purpose to spoil the game for you, it is probably best to simply report him. There will eventually be a suspension, if enough reports pile up.

I highly doubt that. DE was very adamant with how revive works with Arbitration, they wanted Arbitration to be a game mode where death carries a huge penalty. Adding the revive mechanic with tokens was an answer to host problem when they die - do they stay for the squad to keep going but basically afk and do nothing or leave and risk a failed host migration.

15 hours ago, NekroArts said:

I highly doubt that. DE was very adamant with how revive works with Arbitration, they wanted Arbitration to be a game mode where death carries a huge penalty. Adding the revive mechanic with tokens was an answer to host problem when they die - do they stay for the squad to keep going but basically afk and do nothing or leave and risk a failed host migration.

That really sucks because the penalty can be abused to grief players just like I detailed. This isn't cool, judging by how many times I've been inconvenienced in such a short amount of time already. Surely at least some people agree that the system could be better.

18 minutes ago, Endorphinz said:

That really sucks because the penalty can be abused to grief players just like I detailed. This isn't cool, judging by how many times I've been inconvenienced in such a short amount of time already. Surely at least some people agree that the system could be better.

Oh definitely, a debuff that persists because of griefing player needs to have a way where the it no longer applies after "determining" that player is griefing. Best I can recommend is another tower that acts like a garbage disposal, one will be located for each big room of a tileset. You can deposit it if you're carrying one and the tower will automatically do a sweep every 5-10 seconds.

Agree with the OP, the debuff system just is a penalty to the remaining players.  When we pick up the "revive token" it should just be taken by the tower straight away and not penalise the other player for trying to help revive .. this thing about collecting 5 and then going to tower is not smart and just penalises the collector.  I've been in games where someone dies and Im the only player collecting the tokens.. not only debuffs me but also affects my cat - not happy about that.  The other thing is sometimes the debuff stays even after the player has been revived - had this happen a few times and its not fun .. debuffed the entire game .. or until someone dies and have to pick up tokens again.. that usually resets debuff.  Revives should just be removed, dead is dead.. but in saying that other players should be able to join a game at any time to keep the squad numbers up.  I love Arbi, apart from its pitiful Vitus rewards drops, great game mode for mid level play, and to higher level after 90 mins

Well I do believe that death in that mode should have a penalty, I'm not against that. It adds to the struggle of survival. So yeah, I wouldn't want the penalties to go away ENTIRELY, just have safeguards in place to keep people from griefing or afk'ing and making everyone else suffer.

• Like 1

On 2020-03-12 at 4:49 AM, Endorphinz said:

How can this be fixed? I don't know.

The examples you gave are both reportable, one for afk (if you're fast to find such activity) and the other for an action against the team, both can lead to problems, which is why few dare to do it.

I understand that the debuf things can indeed fill the map, i also suffered from it, however if you believe a player intentionally is trying to get players killed or going afk intentionally, just submit a support ticket with enough screenshots or a video of it, it works like a charm if done correctly.