Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Certain items have never properly applied the chosen color, and now it's shown up on newer Warframe skins.

Some smaller cosmetics haven't properly applied the chosen color, which makes the color on the item either much more de-saturated (like Saita Prime's sleeves) or alter the shade of the color complete (again Saita Prime with darkening the color, but also the Zariman suit making the color super saturated)

SHjhL9E.jpg

l8Q1YJn.jpg

SMvBEet.jpg

These issues pertaining to the Operator suits has been around for a while, and some armor sets also have the issue. Lately, some Warframe skins have received this color-altering treatment, whether intentional or not. I am personally an artist, so some art lingo is

The newest deluxe skin, Nova Atomica, has a primary and tertiary channel that boosts the luminosity while lowering the saturation (overall making the channel look brighter and washed out)

EUnkxWLWkAIzOGU.jpg

EUnk54bWkAEODPD.jpg

EUnk83rWAAQ6vyM.jpg

Notice how the last color, a light purple-gray pretty much turns into a pure white on the skin. Her Prime, Default, and Asuri Deluxe do not have this. I don't own any Nova Tennogen, but I assume their colors are in line with the palette as well. Nova Atomica's color channels make it impossible to mix and match with her other cosmetics.

https://twitter.com/FrostyNovaPrime/status/1245772392602968079https://twitter.com/FrostyNovaPrime/status/1245772392602968079

Wisp Delusion, which was released earlier today (April 2 2020), also has this issue but it pertains mostly to her body and not the helmet, making the skin overall look mismatched with itself. This may be just a bug unlike the previous examples though.

EUnkZtWXQAAu5wa.jpg

G9jlpZi.jpg

q4NegoL.jpg

EUnb5zoX0AAtXHC.jpg

You can see how the light gray on her helmet matches the palette, but her body is much lighter and near-white.

I adamantly believe that whatever color we select on the palette should be the color that is applied to the item. The incorrect colors severely limits our creative freedom within our fashion, as well as makes references for fanartists (like myself) much more difficult to read. Whether it's simply a bug or the designer's choice, Nova Atomica, Saita Prime, the Zariman suit and many other items should be brought in line with the rest of the cosmetics in applying the correct color.

• Like 13

It's kind of funny considering they did a pass last year? to mess with all operator cosmetics to make them more mix and matchable. That last picture in your tweet is yikes, it looks awful.

Oberon Youkai skin feels like it dulls down or darkens the color a bit, but I can't really confirm without... buying the skin, which I'm not gonna do if I can't tell it will match helmets. We need proper previewing on items including being able to tweak color channels, especially Tennogen where it's an actual microtransation. It's also time we are able to color attachments seperately too, since it's extremely inconsistent how they're applied (see: metallics on primary) and makes mixing outside of sets difficult.

Here's a picture of metallics looking desaturated with a new chest attachment. Annoying.

20200402165258-1.png

Edited by ldegroodt115
  • Like 3

I do agree with the notion that the color applied should be the same as the color selected. It can be frustrating at times to get the color you wanted, especially when it was so close to looking perfect. It's even worse when you can't find it at all and you're just stuck with something incomplete to the point you might as well do it all over again.

However, there is a bit of a thing when it comes to pointing out this stuff in TennoGen, as DE believes that the artists is allowed to dictate the fashion of how the skin works, no matter if it's seen as negative. When the Saryn ION skin was released, people were confused on why it didn't have an Accent channel but a metallic Tertiary one, to the point of reporting it as a bug and requesting for it to be changed. DE simply said, that it was the artist's intention to have it work like that, and it didn't get changed and still isn't. Whether you disagree or not with that is fine, but that kind of just cements the fact that if DE finds it acceptable for the artist to do that (and considering how they put the skin in the game), they will not change it themselves unless the artist's choose so.

So while I do think there are good intentions for pointing this sort of stuff out, is it going to make artists change their works? Probably not.

12 hours ago, Scruffel said:

So while I do think there are good intentions for pointing this sort of stuff out, is it going to make artists change their works? Probably not.

Still worth pointing out because it's not always artist intention. Besides, we wouldn't know unless a confirmation comes, so it's up to DE to point that out because as players, we cannot know for sure when trying to find consistency between elements of the game. If it ends up being artist intention, then that's fine.

However, as this topic has shown with one of the latest hotfixes, the Wisp Delusion skin WAS a bug, and DE fixed the tintmask of the body to match the helmet.

Edited by Casardis
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, Casardis said:

Still worth pointing out because it's not always artist intention. Besides, we wouldn't know unless a confirmation comes, so it's up to DE to point that out because as players, we cannot know for sure when trying to find consistency between elements of the game. If it ends up being artist intention, then that's fine.

However, as this topic has shown with one of the latest hotfixes, the Wisp Delusion skin WAS a bug, and DE fixed the tintmask of the body to match the helmet.

Indeed, sometimes it's intentional due materials, and sometimes it's not intended. The easy ones to see when it's not intended is when it's part of the same item (ie: The issue present in the Saita suit, or certain armor sets that have slightly different saturation values), otherwise, one has to imagine it's due the different materials (unless it's jarringly different).

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Scruffel said:

However, there is a bit of a thing when it comes to pointing out this stuff in TennoGen, as DE believes that the artists is allowed to dictate the fashion of how the skin works, no matter if it's seen as negative. When the Saryn ION skin was released, people were confused on why it didn't have an Accent channel but a metallic Tertiary one, to the point of reporting it as a bug and requesting for it to be changed. DE simply said, that it was the artist's intention to have it work like that, and it didn't get changed and still isn't. Whether you disagree or not with that is fine, but that kind of just cements the fact that if DE finds it acceptable for the artist to do that (and considering how they put the skin in the game), they will not change it themselves unless the artist's choose so.

Saryn ION is an exception because Yatus specifically requested and excluded the accent channel, which is different from what I'm talking about with tint masking and color application. As far as I've heard, no Tennogen creator has requested to have the tints be intentionally different.

Another example that I have come across with the tinting issue is Baruuk Bedouin by Erneix and Karu. It has the issue Nova Atomica has with the primary (and secondary, but not as extremem) being much lighter than the selected color. Here a light brown is more of a white.

unknown.png

At the same time, his waist fabric is not the same tint as the ribbon on his helmet and waistband despite it all being the tertiary channel. This is more akin to Wisp Delusion's bug.

EU3tlTdXsAEdrwT.jpg:large

If you take a look at the model images provided by the creators in the Steam Workshop, you can tell that the tertiary channel is intended to be one homogeneous color.

?imw=637&imh=358&ima=fit&impolicy=Letter

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, FrostyNovaPrime said:

Saryn ION is an exception because Yatus specifically requested and excluded the accent channel, which is different from what I'm talking about with tint masking and color application. As far as I've heard, no Tennogen creator has requested to have the tints be intentionally different.

I brought it up as an example to showcase how it may be hard to make these sort of changes to TennoGen without the artists also agreeing to the changes. When it's a bug that's understandable where DE may step in by themselves (whether by request of the artists, players, or both) to fix it (and in cases of which such as Baruuk Bedouin apparently, it should be reported in the Bug section). Also, I'm pretty sure it's less about the artist requesting for the specific colors to work in a specific manner, it's the manner of how the skin is setup for tints already. But neither of us can say its intentional or not, unless the artist does so.