Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

[The Outdated Parkour Thread] It Finally Happened! (Voice Your Opinion In The Poll!)

Aure7

• 4 weeks later...

I love the Archwing update. But I do hope the next update is to improve and fix the core gameplay, such as parkour. +1,

I find it really weird that we're getting space stuff, but "normal" moves still are lackluster in some cases.

We do barrel rolls yet holding a ledge or choosing the angle of our wallruns aren't possible...

I'm putting my support in for this idea, I've always been for a more fluid parkour style of movement in warframe. I'm sure it has been mentioned before (in the 26 pages of this giant discussion), but I would love to see this kind of integration in melee combat as well. Core movement is highly important DE, if you implement this change, you could see a larger increase in your player base as well! (People want to fill the void that Titanfall left behind in regards to running on any surface you dam well please.)

A note on enemy AI and movement.  The enemy AI has better movement than the Tenno.  They're more Ninja than the Tenno.  They make tall leaps with a single bound where the Tenno struggle to climb.  The enemy hit the ground running where the Tenno stumble like old people.  The enemy navigate ledges with perfect ease.  The Tenno get bogged down, go into uninteruptable sheathing animations while getting mauled, etc.  The enemy are simply more ninja that the Tenno are.

i just realized that this post is more than a year old - so yea development cycle 

Well the  changes OP has listed would most likely take a significant amount of time to implement. At least that's what the optimist in me says. Hopefully addressing the parkour issues is somewhere on DE's list of things to do.

Said it many times before, the first step is to make the jump key initiate a jump every time rather than when it feels like it.

We can polish steps 2, 3 and 4 of an awesome parkour move all we like, if it fails at step 1, it won't matter.

The basics really need a polish, including going over all the tiles with some kind of collision mesh over the top of every surface so that being a millimetre off the ground because the floor is uneven does not prevent jump working.

That said, I like the ideas in the OP, just think we need to walk before we run here (walking would be making the current system reliable and functional, running would be improving the moveset, fluidity, etc)

Edit. Wow, the thread is a year old!

Edited by Egg_Chen

i clearly remember someone from DE stating that a vid from one developer of overgrowth talking about his procedural animations being passed around the office. seems his slogan: "animation should never get in the way of gameplay" didn't quite resonate with the team/people who call the shots...

I've just stated in another thread that Parkour is meant to use the human body to navigate environments.

In the OP images, all those places can be reached much faster, accurately and effectively, by use of abilities on Frames, and for those that pre U15 lacked "movement" abilities, we now have Aerial Melee, which can vault you practically anywhere, so grabbing walls is basically a waste of time.

DE would have to specifically build incredibly complex maps to negate abilities and force players to start grabbing walls again, which I don't see happening.

that's a poor dismissal of the issues with the movement systems.

No it's not. We got new mechanics. The new mechanics remove all need to grab walls. You can fly where ever you like.

I have NOT used a single "parkour" surface since the adding of Arial Attacks, not even with Rhino. Even that Corpus map with the 3 level spot where you go to the higher level to bypass the elevator usage, 3 Arial Attacks and you're up there, without the need for messy wall grabbing.

I'd like to know why I should use a less efficient system to carry out the same action, other then nostalgia.

EDIT: About to upload an example to YouTube -- http://youtu.be/74YLJiXsnxQ

Even if DE added a ton of "Parkour stuff" to get up there, I don't know why I would stop doing it this way now.

Edited by DSpite

I use zorens and the aerial attack is lame on those.  Seems zoren coptor is bugged too.  So, what weapon has such great aerial that it makes parkour irrelevant?

I just remembered the hyena pack.  They wall climb better than Tenno.  I wouldn't mind having their wall climbing abiltiy.

Edited by ThePresident777