Jade Shadows: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

[The Outdated Parkour Thread] It Finally Happened! (Voice Your Opinion In The Poll!)

Aure7

The only places DE expects you to DO so is where they put White Lines or where they put Containers. This is not Mirror's Edge, and even if it was, the places where you can "parkour" would STILL be highlighted.

entirely wrong, the white lines are there to instruct players to wallrun at obvious spots. wallrunning is possible on every other object in a level, so long as the surface is somewhat even. it's just that for some tilesets DE seems to have forgotten about this feature and has forgotten about it entirely in terms of how it actually feels and works in actual levels. but regular movement has some of the same problems wallrunning has, transitions are rather clunky as well, a bit heavier on the let-the-beautiful-animations-play-we-dont-care-about-player-input side of things.

Edited by SlyBoots

No need to worry, as per the community hot topics , DE is looking into hiding, stealth and hardcore mode HAHAHAHA, everything opposite to this thread !!

Go DE ruin this game more please !!

Community Hot Topics do not guarantee that things will change. Just look at the Hot Topics where they brought up the Silva and Aegis and what buffs it could use. We still do not have a single change to Silva and Aegis.

Community Hot Topics do not guarantee that things will change. Just look at the Hot Topics where they brought up the Silva and Aegis and what buffs it could use. We still do not have a single change to Silva and Aegis.

Well thats good news because those hot topics got me worried a little, DE is completely missing the mark with them this week imo.

I'm seeing some concern about whether reworking the parkour system would add anything. Well it certainly will if DE adds one obvious bonus to it; make warframes which are performing/have just performed parkour maneuvers receive lower accuracy from all enemies. 

Think about it. Does it take more effort to hit a crewman who is running along the ground (moving on your screen only in the X axis) or an osprey that is sliding through the air? (moving on your screen in both X and Y) A warframe that decides that he/she really isn't into gravity and begins running and jumping off the walls would absolutely present a more difficult target for your average degenerate clone.

Parkour could instantly become a viable tool for closing in on/getting away from groups of enemies without getting shredded if it gave players this completely logical benefit.

As it stands, directional melee has completely removed all need for any of the existing parkour elements. White streaks on the wall that show parkour is possible there can be bypassed with directional melee. Using directional melee in these cases instead of parkour allows for angular travel, not like parkours vertical or horizontal only, faster travel, unlike parkour which is slower than even sprinting, and quicker recovery, unlike parkour which forces you into one direction for the entirety of the wallrun. 

Parkour is slow and unrewarding. Directional melee beats it out in every category. 

i wouldn't want to go over the community hot topics so far and check which of the issues brought up were actually addressed compared to left unchanged. they are very selective, lip service imo.

Parkour is slow and unrewarding. Directional melee beats it out in every category. 

yea, i especially like the control over distance and direction of movement i have during the air dash.

Edited by SlyBoots

after reading through this I have a feeling you are spot on with the suggestions and improvements. It would definitely create a more immersive experience in the ninja theme of the game and also be much more entertaining and satisfying to pull off.

As it stands, directional melee has completely removed all need for any of the existing parkour elements. White streaks on the wall that show parkour is possible there can be bypassed with directional melee. Using directional melee in these cases instead of parkour allows for angular travel, not like parkours vertical or horizontal only, faster travel, unlike parkour which is slower than even sprinting, and quicker recovery, unlike parkour which forces you into one direction for the entirety of the wallrun. 

Exactly this. My thread is about making parkour fast and rewarding and that's what I mean by "directional melee is killing parkour". I'll copy this into the main thread if you don't mind.

This is just sad now. I can't wait until they just find stuff to replace directional melee, as it's already replaced parkour, coptering and wall attacks. They've basically replaced the good ol' sentinels with Kubrows, because they're much more powerful and can be revived, they're just replacing things now. I'm not gonna be surprised when they find replacements for Warframe abilities. Directional melee already killed Super Jump and Tail Wind. I mean, why would you use them when you could air melee for no energy cost? Like, the game's still fun but now it's just... I can't even explain how I feel about this except frustrated. Like, I got hooked to this game because of how unique it was and how intelligent the community was (most of them, some are here to purely troll) and how it just drew me in. But now, I can't help but just be frustrated. Like, if this is the mindset people are going to use, we should just get free ranks for the Mastery Tests that are going to be cheesed. In fact, the Mastery Rank test do really nothing to add to the immersion of the game as I see it and might as well be removed. The only purpose they serve is to keep the people who buy everything with plat from running Warframe and that's pretty pointless, since doing so just feeds the devs money and it's not like they get much. 

If this game ever comes out of beta, it's going to be a beautiful game, but there's just going to be so much stuff that you're not going to use, need to use or even care about. 

This is just sad now. I can't wait until they just find stuff to replace directional melee, as it's already replaced parkour, coptering and wall attacks. They've basically replaced the good ol' sentinels with Kubrows, because they're much more powerful and can be revived, they're just replacing things now. I'm not gonna be surprised when they find replacements for Warframe abilities. Directional melee already killed Super Jump and Tail Wind. I mean, why would you use them when you could air melee for no energy cost? Like, the game's still fun but now it's just... I can't even explain how I feel about this except frustrated. Like, I got hooked to this game because of how unique it was and how intelligent the community was (most of them, some are here to purely troll) and how it just drew me in. But now, I can't help but just be frustrated. Like, if this is the mindset people are going to use, we should just get free ranks for the Mastery Tests that are going to be cheesed. In fact, the Mastery Rank test do really nothing to add to the immersion of the game as I see it and might as well be removed. The only purpose they serve is to keep the people who buy everything with plat from running Warframe and that's pretty pointless, since doing so just feeds the devs money and it's not like they get much. 

If this game ever comes out of beta, it's going to be a beautiful game, but there's just going to be so much stuff that you're not going to use, need to use or even care about. 

-Not all weapons that have direction melee have a good copter, example heavy weapons. Example, heavy weapons. Air melee compliments coptering very well.

-No air melee gets as much air/distance as tailwind, none. And no warframe has more air control than zephyr.

-Kubrows as said by money aren't worth thier upkeep cost, many still use carrier because he's just that better compared to Kubrows.

As for the rest of your argument, you're going off on a massive tangent.

-Not all weapons that have direction melee have a good copter, example heavy weapons. Example, heavy weapons. Air melee compliments coptering very well.

-No air melee gets as much air/distance as tailwind, none. And no warframe has more air control than zephyr.

-Kubrows as said by money aren't worth thier upkeep cost, many still use carrier because he's just that better compared to Kubrows.

As for the rest of your argument, you're going off on a massive tangent.

It costs me 100,000 credits month at most to keep my Kubrow alive... what's causing people to spend that much on Kubrows? 

Double Direction Melee glitches seem to get me all the way into the top area on Europa Conclave, which is about base tail wind. 

Directional melee, as it has basically no delay, has a higher average speed and distance as opposed to coptering on most things that don't throw you completely out of control. For example, the glaive just throws me across Sechura's Corpus zipline base. So there's no real use, to me anyway, for that copter and I find myself using directional melee more than the copter as it's more easily controllable and has a much higher range of motion. 

And that wasn't an argument, it's just how I feel it's heading since things are just being replaced and forgotten about and it's sad to me. It bothers me deeply. 

*snip

Loved your post. Pretty much spot on, especially when using the example from Overgrowth.

I'd like to point out nowadays with Valkyr her roll during Hysteria is pretty much what I would like to see all rolls become. You have full control over the direction just as if you were running when you land after a hysteria somersault, which feel great. It allows us to still have to rolling landing animation for visual awesome while retaining control over our characters, without needing to tweak the landing roll so it never happens.

I'd like to point out nowadays with Valkyr her roll during Hysteria is pretty much what I would like to see all rolls become. You have full control over the direction just as if you were running when you land after a hysteria somersault, which feel great. It allows us to still have to rolling landing animation for visual awesome while retaining control over our characters, without needing to tweak the landing roll so it never happens.

since i can't upvote this twice.

beautiful. 

animations like that would be much appreciated. rather than every Animation locking us out of control of our Characters (which will result in death when you're not fighting low Level Enemies), the animations could and should still have character control so that we aren't ever just watching the screen and waiting until we're allowed to play again.

honestly, if there's a wonder why more people don't use some of the more advanced animations the game has to offer to us, i'd bet it's because they lock you out of controlling your character and therefore you'll probably be dead by the time the animation is over.

those times when animations work with me rather than against me, are the best times to be had in Warframe. the game is much more immersive and much smoother to play. because at those rare times, the game just works. my character does what i'm telling it to, and all is well.

because there is almost nothing worse than pressing buttons in an interactive media and finding that the media is currently ignoring your input.

since i can't upvote this twice.

beautiful. 

animations like that would be much appreciated. rather than every Animation locking us out of control of our Characters (which will result in death when you're not fighting low Level Enemies), the animations could and should still have character control so that we aren't ever just watching the screen and waiting until we're allowed to play again.

honestly, if there's a wonder why more people don't use some of the more advanced animations the game has to offer to us, i'd bet it's because they lock you out of controlling your character and therefore you'll probably be dead by the time the animation is over.

those times when animations work with me rather than against me, are the best times to be had in Warframe. the game is much more immersive and much smoother to play. because at those rare times, the game just works. my character does what i'm telling it to, and all is well.

because there is almost nothing worse than pressing buttons in an interactive media and finding that the media is currently ignoring your input.

It varies from animation to animation, but I find the most fun games are those that allow you to have constant lagless input to your character at any time. Some 2d brawlers are great at this (Shank 2 comes to mind) as well as something like Overgrowth.

One thing that really bugs me is the lag time between pressing spacebar and your tenno jumping. Feels like I'm playing old tomb raider games again sometimes. The engage and disengage is also quite guilty of being wonky due to how it stops you as you stick to the wall then you proceed.=, or pause, then launch into oblivion when you jump off of a wall.

Loved your post. Pretty much spot on, especially when using the example from Overgrowth.

I actually haven't used my valkyr since that update. This definitively caught my interest!

Yea, because upvotes should be uses as "Likes" on Facebook.

Just find 1000 people that have no idea what they are talking about, and get them to Veto 100 people that realize a system is ALREADY working.

"I play mostly in a stealthy way, use melee/bows a lot & I try to solo as much missions/events as possible (with my toaster)."

Because, you are not biased at all, are you?

So we meet again, DSpite...

1) Sorry but I Never said upvotes are like worthless likes on facebook man : as I write this, this thread is 34 pages long & is One year and a month old! This is what I'm trying to say. The only obvious improvement in that duration with this topic? Directional melee (which was meant to make melee only missions possible. We can kill osprey sword alone now.)

Wallrun is still useful.Sliding is still useful. Both need some tweaks. Imagine a game with a smooth animation to run, but a weird one if you just want to walk.Strange isn't it?

This thread was here before directional melee,please remember.

2) I prefer to play like this, how is it a problem? Where am I trying to convert everyone to do the same as me? This game can have a rich gameplay experience with different way to reach something. Suppose that there's a goal uphill : some would like to go there using the stairs, others would like to wallrun and launch themselves in that direction,and the last one like you would just use directional melee. Just because directional melee could be more effective than wallrun doesn't mean that wallrun is useless and therefore must be deleted. Choice.

I just have one question to ask to you : did you watch the last devstream? When momma Lotus tried to do some advanced moves during that Spy 2.0? If not, you'll immediately understand(this problem,and another one hehe). ;)

No need to worry, as per the community hot topics , DE is looking into hiding, stealth and hardcore mode HAHAHAHA, everything opposite to this thread !!

Go DE ruin this game more please !!

That's because the threads selected were born this week(and became famous quickly,I guess). :p

Hardcore mode might ruin things(I agree with this one), but how would Stealth & hiding do so? Do you know that stealth was introduced by DE themselves with U7?It's already part of the game, and parkour too.

I understand why you're upset though. I like sigils but if I had to choose (I think that they can do both, but if they really had no other option) between polished syndicates or more ""focus"" on 1-year old issues, the choice is obvious!

Why the heck is everyone overusing the word "Parkour". Why the heck is everyone supporting automated movement a la Assassin's creed and that parasite one?

because it looks better? Is that all warframe fans have come to? Pretty animations? shame on you all.

While I agree movement mechanics need looking into, stealth is the glaring problem i.e there's little incentive to play sneaky sneaky. 

My current beef is with how Archwings have been integrated into the game - they simply aren't worth the effort of grinding for them. I was assuming seamless transitions from inside to outside i.e hole blasted in hull, 'frame gets sucked out, destroy minions in space to either return back to ship for evac or specified zone in space, depending on whether you had your archwing unlocked or not. 

Just tested it. From my experience it is simply "landing" animation replaced with new type of roll. Since landing does not take away your control (if it isn't a roll) you can steer that roll in hysteria just like you can turn when you land with anything else (it simply looks different). When landing from high up when roll is unavoidable she still does the classic roll which locks you into one direction.