Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Cas' Random Art Zone [Update 11\07\13]: Bloodborne Style Saryn & Excalibur Sketches

Casardis

Just so I'm not misunderstood - I totally agree with you on the topic of trading eyesight for improved hearing. It's just the method that seems unnecessarily archaic and risky to me.

That was the point actually. The Tenno are very advanced in their technology thanks to the Orokin, but I always felt that the way they portrait them as ancient warriors, with those drums music and such, to have a flair of old (fantasy) traditions. Therefore, such "ritual" that's needed to fully awaken her powers is meant to be risky and sound archaic to us.

Sure she can try doing a safe surgery to remove her eyes, but her technocyte won't answer to the wound and her volition, so no "ascension" will happen. It's a Banshee's test of will and spirit, directly linked to her own affliction. It won't be much of a warrior's test if not for the risk factor. ;D

Also, another excellent work of art, Cas. I've been wondering where you've gone to! Welcome back. ^^  I've always been incredibly fond of your linework, and Banshee's is just absolutely stunning. The reasoning behind the look is certainly plausible, too, and I like the way you make them so... organic. In character as well as in art.

Thanks~! Yeah I haven't been very active in the forums lately, and so I'll check the art section when I can!

Edited by Casardis

Haha, no rush! If you like plushies, though, I recommend opolong's thread: He's made some pretty cute looking stuff.

I definitely agree with the archaic methods, though. After all, they're the kind of people who bring swords to a gun fight. It's pretty awesome that they have their own culture, even if it seems extreme to us. But they're masters of space and matter, so it sounds to me like extreme is their thing.

Can't wait to see more of your works! Don't worry about the timing and all, though: Artists need their time and space as well! 

@Calayne & Biblio

Thanks XD Biblio, you got it spot on. That's pretty much how this Saryn is with her comrades.

Pretty much what was going around me head when I made that comment. Very cool!

Also:

dVTIXNy.gif

Dat GIF...

Edited by Casardis

Hah, and I even bet Saryn gets some form of sadistic joy out of 'accidentally' making her (un-)comfortable. That's cute, and I don't mean in a Darvo sense.

Fortunately my Saryn doesn't seem to be a sadist/yandere like some others I see out there XD

Edited by Casardis

Fortunately my Saryn doesn't seem to be a sadist/yandere like some others I see out there XD

True. Didn't really mean to have my comment come across like that, but as an affirmation of the fact that everybody, even Tenno, have a sense of Schadenfreude.

It's all fun and games until the t-virus mutates Banshee's hair into infested snakes!

True. Didn't really mean to have my comment come across like that, but as an affirmation of the fact that everybody, even Tenno, have a sense of Schadenfreude.

It's all fun and games until the t-virus mutates Banshee's hair into infested snakes!

Oh no I didn't take it in any bad ways XD I also learned a new word today thanks to you.

Eeeek, I think Saryn would love that actually. She may find new ways to upgrade her poison... That kinda sounds sick when I think of the possible procedure needed.

Oh no I didn't take it in any bad ways XD I also learned a new word today thanks to you.

Eeeek, I think Saryn would love that actually. She may find new ways to upgrade her poison... That kinda sounds sick when I think of the possible procedure needed.

Edumanification!

All right, all right. Hey, I wonder which version of brushie Banshee megan would choose to display on primetime. Cause you know, I'm pretty sure it's already got a spot, and I'd couldn't but grin sheepishly if it turns out to be the intensified version. :D

I prefer not to expect my work to appear on Prime Time even if it did in the past (it makes for a much bigger surprise when it does), but if I have to guess, I'm sure it will be the intensified regular version, for several reasons XD

But I appreciate your indirect compliment a lot!

Edited by Casardis

Oh, you didn't?

Mhh, well I'm sure you have your reasons, and if you didn't want your work to be publicly(apart from the forums) displayed I'm certain a quick pm to Megan would solve the issue.

Oops! I should have expressed better! What I mean is that I don't hold expectations to actually be featured! As in I don't tell myself "I hope that Megan will see this and feature it on Prime Time." Such expectations aren't bad by themselves, but more often than not, it can bring disappointment and breed an unjustified sense of pride or ego.

That's why I try to avoid thinking like that. It's also why I'm even happier when I do get featured (what I meant by being a bigger surprise in my post above), since I don't expect my work to appear in the first place, and try not to even after being featured twice.

Edited by Casardis

Oops! I should have expressed better!

*Rereads your last post*

Uh, now I feel stupid for omitting the "to expect". Yeah, alright. The rest of the post makes much more sense now, haha!

I'm going to be waiting patiently for the Banshee piece to be completed and hope you'll be in the mood to interpret even more frames in the future.

I wonder what your background stories for Zephyr and Valkyr would be, as in what they had to do to reach their final forms. I can't shake the picture of Zephyr acolytes having to endure week long hallucinations of endlessly falling and impacting the ground just to realize they're still falling. You know, the sleep paralysis kind of feeling yourself falling without being able to see or move a muscle.

Oops! I should have expressed better! What I mean is that I don't hold expectations to actually be featured! As in I don't tell myself "I hope that Megan will see this and feature it on Prime Time." Such expectations aren't bad by themselves, but more often than not, it can bring disappointment and breed an unjustified sense of pride or ego.

That's why I try to avoid thinking like that. It's also why I'm even happier when I do get featured (what I meant by being a bigger surprise in my post above), since I don't expect my work to appear in the first place, and try not to even after being featured twice.

LoL, I think the people who get featured on Prime Time the most are the people who do not crave for it. 

Artists are like Jedi, in a sense: You have to use the Force for all the right reasons. If you don't, your art comes out imperfect, marred by distractions and worries. Most artists who reach a high level of technical skill, I think, tend to be humble and self-contained. They don't seek attention. You embody the kind of balance I respect in what makes an artist, an artist.

Of course, we appreciate recognition, just as anyone else might. But that's hardly the reason we do our art. 

I salute you, Cas. You have my respect.

Edit: Also, that Intense Brushing is so moe! @_@  Oh Lawdy Lawd! Save me from the cute!

Edited by Calayne

snip

Not all Tennos in my canon have "final forms." In fact, only Banshee fits in that category so far. It doesn't mean she's more powerful than other Tenno-types; she's acquired a particular enhancement proper to her existing strengths.

My Saryn's mutation doesn't change much about her powers, but rather gains her respect from other Tenno simply from surviving through the process. My Trinity has nothing of that sort, and is currently developing cracks on her body (not including her natural glow marks) to display the overuse of her life-saving powers.

Therefore I have no "awakening" thought out for either Zephyr or Valkyr, and I'll most likely keep it that way. I'll always try to think of certain quirks of course. My friend Lumi gave me some nice ideas about Zephyr's appearance relating to birds, but not necessarily "feathers."

Valkyr's also a particular one since her lore suggest she's possibly the only one of her kind due to the Zanuka project experiments, so I'm not sure I want to draw her anytime soon after Banshee.

I salute you, Cas. You have my respect.

The feeling's mutual Cal. Thanks.

Edited by Casardis

Your art is lovely and your take on the Tenno is very interesting. I wonder if your Banshee is VERY sensitive on her ears. I am also curious how you would portray Mag, Nyx and Ember if they have a awakening. Are you also planning/want to draw some of the male frames?

Edited by Septin

Your art is lovely and your take on the Tenno is very interesting. I wonder if your Banshee is VERY sensitive on her ears. I am also curious how you would portray Mag, Nyx and Ember if they have a awakening. Are you also planning/want to draw some of the male frames?

Thank you! That's some very specific questions so I'll put my semi-extensive responses in spoiler tags.

About Awakened Banshee's hearing:

Her hearing isn't sensitive in the sense that it's amplified to hear things very well. What her newfound state gives her is the ability to DISCERN all sounds, since she's now "one with the acoustics."

This means that even if she's in the middle of a chaotic firefight, she'll know exactly where each gun is located and what they are; who stepped into a cover from the scratching sound of an armor that hit against a crate; even with an explosion, which usually muffles all sound because of how loud it is, she'll hear and discern the sound of the missile exploding from the debris that got destroyed in the process, in order to avoid said debris if they're coming towards her dangerously.

Of course, some of those more extreme cases are only possible with the use of Sonar, since it's her ultimate form of focus.

About other Tenno:

Unfortunately none of the ones you mention have an awakened thought out yet, similarly to Zephyr and Valkyr. Not sure if I'll give them any, since it's a bit harder to find something sort-of poetic for them (except Nyx maybe, since her powers are quite elusive). In that sense, I consider their powers already "awakened" like my Trinity.

And yes! I will also get to some of the male Warframes as well. In fact, Loki and Rhino are the priorities when it comes to the dudes. I already have some ideas for them, mostly because they're my friend Lumi's ideas. He has an interesting vision of Loki and how his powers work.

Edited by Casardis