Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Shotguns Are Weak, Really Weak

SnPlasmic

Honestly... all the shotguns, exept the Strun Wraith are really weak, and there is no way to get the strun wraith... maybe a little improve to all the shotguns will be cool

Noone plays with shotguns... 95% of the games I've played had not shotguns... and the reason is simple, they all are a bunch of useless

Not flamming!, i love to play with rifles, but a decent shotgun in my inventory would be great... also see more styles of gameplay... not only rifles users

you often don't see Shotguns being used because they require a specific set of mods to be effective. making them less appealing to earlier players. and late game players - well, there aren't any Clantech shotguns, or other 'higher tier' shotguns available, so for 'Deeps', Shotguns lose their appeal somewhere around midgame. 

they still have well performing Alpha damage, though.

and many users also don't like the damage falloff.

i can shot you how much Hek & Sobek will destroy a high level Grineer boss, despite Impact damage type dealing less damage to Grineer than bullet(which is what the other shotguns use).

Sobek is one of the top 10 weapons in Warframe, unbeknowingly to 98% of the Warframe community.

Hell's Chamber

Point Blank

Accelerated Blast

Flechette

Blaze

use these mods, and your shotgun will be amazingly better.

Vicious Spread and Tainted Shell are an option to really crank that Alpha damage on a shotgun. but not 'needed'.

shotguns happen to need 5 mods unlike Rifles which only need 3. so they are relatively meh without bells and whistles for mods.

Edited by taiiat

Don't discriminate the shotguns, rather collaborate with the shotguns.

I am a HEK fan, love it to death, forma'd it 4 times, all they need is some tender love and care and then they will shine bright like a diamond *cough* I meant star (diamond don't shine, they reflect) 

So what? Their mods don't need a lot of cores to make the shotguns effective. And you are able to really make em shine.

This. Shotguns's main appeal is that they are relatively cheap to max out compared to their rifle and pistol counterpart. Yes, their max damage+ mods aren't as amazing as rifles or pistols. (+270% compared to Rifle's +330% and Pistol's +286%) But all 3 of their damage mods are maxed at rank 5, whereas both Rifle's and Pistol's consist of 2 rank 10's. That is a LOT of cores and credits saved on min/maxing the shotguns. Not to mention you also get a whooping +150% Armor Piercing (the only elemental damage that is armor ignoring), which makes them on par with most innate Physics Impact weapons.

With +270% base power and +150% armor piercing, you don't really need the Strun Wraith. The Hek, Sobek, and even the Boar Prime are all reputable at that power level, even towards late game. Just make sure you back it up with a long range secondary (Acrid, Lex, Seer, Dual Vasto, etc.) and you should be good to go.

you often don't see Shotguns being used because they require a specific set of mods to be effective. making them less appealing to earlier players. and late game players - well, there aren't any Clantech shotguns, or other 'higher tier' shotguns available, so for 'Deeps', Shotguns lose their appeal somewhere around midgame. 

they still have well performing Alpha damage, though.

and many users also don't like the damage falloff.

i can shot you how much Hek & Sobek will destroy a high level Grineer boss, despite Impact damage type dealing less damage to Grineer than bullet(which is what the other shotguns use).

Sobek is one of the top 10 weapons in Warframe, unbeknowingly to 98% of the Warframe community.

Hell's Chamber

Point Blank

Accelerated Blast

Flechette

Blaze

use these mods, and your shotgun will be amazingly better.

Vicious Spread and Tainted Shell are an option to really crank that Alpha damage on a shotgun. but not 'needed'.

shotguns happen to need 5 mods unlike Rifles which only need 3. so they are relatively meh without bells and whistles for mods.

They also absolutely require five forma for maxed mods. Contrast that with any rifle which works almost as well off three, especially crit rifles.

Edited by -Kittens-

I remember when the Hek was strong. It was so fun... I'd really like my old Hek back.

Same here, it was the weapon I was using last before I quit. Came back to find it didn't perform at all. Even with maxed mods, you're still hindered by the 4 shot long reload mag which used to be much much better (9? shots, reloaded in about half a second).

Weapons seem to live or die based on their stock ammo count because the reload/ammo mods can't hold a candle to an extra damage mod.

I happen to have all those required rare mods and yet I still find it easier to just throw them all on a sentinel instead who doesn't have to mess around with the generally awful reload times.

Honestly... all the shotguns, exept the Strun Wraith are really weak, and there is no way to get the strun wraith... maybe a little improve to all the shotguns will be cool

Noone plays with shotguns... 95% of the games I've played had not shotguns... and the reason is simple, they all are a bunch of useless

Not flamming!, i love to play with rifles, but a decent shotgun in my inventory would be great... also see more styles of gameplay... not only rifles users

Useless? You sure need to visit the Conclaves or rather try 100+ missions. You need to climb the ladders dear. AND...

You need a slap from Potatoed Strun Wraith mate. You need the bitter taste of being One-Shot.

Edited by yeomanry

Nonsense I use a shotgun all the time.

My carrier does anyway.

Shotty mods are cheap to make and carrier does an admirable job one shotting level 40+ foes and 2 shotting level 50 ones off my back. But ok sometimes he does makes leveling melee weapons a pain but oh well :p

Edited by fatpig84

Looking at the costs of equivalent mods...I'd say the real problem is that pistol mods are just too freaking good. Pistols should focus on being quick and efficient with the best mods for reload speed and magazine size. It is your SECONDARY weapon. Shotguns should be the ones with all the best base damage and elemental mods, and rifles should have the best mods for precision and armor penetration.

But what do I know, I just play here.

Shotguns need 3 slots to boost base damage up to +270%
Rifles need 2 slots to boost base damage up to +330%

Realy balanced don't it? And this is not even taking in count damage fallof.

Eh. I'm not entirely which mods you're talking about, but let's do some theory crafting here:

RIfle uses Serration (14/7) and Piercing Hit (9/5) mods for +225% damage and spends 24 (12, polarized) mod points.

Shotgun uses Point Blank (9/5), and Flechette (9/5) mods for +180% damage and spends 18 (10, polarized) mod points.

Shotgun has somewhat less damage, but you save 2 points and the mods are an order of magnitude cheaper. Taking Serration to 14 requires an ocean of fusion cores.

Plus the damage balances out in a way when you factor in multi shot mods:  Rifle spends 15 (8) points for a probable 90% increase in projectiles, while shotgun spends the same 15 (8) points for a probable 120% increase in projectiles.

Shotguns need 3 slots to boost base damage up to +270%

Rifles need 2 slots to boost base damage up to +330%

Realy balanced don't it? And this is not even taking in count damage fallof.

You're not accounting for the significantly higher base damage that shotguns have

Sobek and Boar Prime are both nice weapons. In fact, Sobek was my go to primary weapon for awhile... That was until Strun Wraith came along.

The Boar Prime is decent for people who missed the event. It's not as good and lack polarity. But a few formas should help out alot if shotguns are your thing.

If only the shotgun mods would drop more often.
For example i did over 50 Nightmare exterminates yesterday and got all but 3 of the rare mods (5-6 of each) and none of the shotgun ones (Accelerated Blast; 9,4% drop & Blaze; 1% drop).
Also i've done over 50 T3 Grineer defense missions and so far no Hell's Chamber (2% drop). Heck, i haven't even seen all common and uncommon shotgun mods drop yet! :O
Sure base dmg on shotguns is nice, but you need to hug your enemy to deal said base damage. Especially a Sobek, 1 pellet missed is a loss of 25% damage before even calculating any +dmg%. Multishot might be nice, but the extra pellets are unpredictable in their trajectory because of the lack of accuracy and thus not a sure damage increase as you'll probably miss half of the extra pellets. Most laser guns for example have perfect aim and thus a 100% damage increase with 100% multishot. And let's not talk about the damage falloff at anything over short range.
I still love using shotguns tho, yet anything over lvl 50 is undo-able because it takes more ammo to kill than there are ammo drops (even with maxed shotgun ammo aura). Would use Shotgun Ammo Mutation, yet again the low droprate is killing me /sadface.
Strun Wraith is the only exception from what i've seen at my friends place yet unavailable to new players like myself so that's no option.

Conclusion:
All the (rare) shotgun mods are mandatory to make shotguns a viable choice yet the droprates are more horrible than anything i've seen. Either the droprates need to be rechecked, implement a way to buy specific (shotgun) mods for plat, a boost in shotgun stats or at least less falloff so missed pellets can still be semi-useful.