Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Teoarrk's concepts, lore and ideas thread, part 2 (Latest post - Short Story: Respite, while the spore clouds flounder)

Teoarrk

On 2021-07-25 at 9:35 PM, keikogi said:

Frankly speaking , I'm not a huge fan off the ghools because they ocupy a weird desing space as far as lore is concerned. Somehow a hastly cloned ghoul is more resistent than the standard trooper and their simple behavior is more aki to mindless infested. Frankly speaking I would prefer if they just were failed clones that the grineer salvaged with a 'tamed' strain off the infestation so their toughtness would make more sense. Also would give more desing freeedom for form. 

Pretty much tought off that becasue off of the cadou nonsense being what allows heinserbertg to get away with his bashed in desings. 

When it comes down to it, it would have made more sense if they were some kind of amalgamation than anything else. My biggest issue however is that they are used in a place where we have almost every advantage possible over them, including the ability to fly and the bounties on offer don't tip the balance back in their favour one iota.

On 2021-07-25 at 9:35 PM, keikogi said:

Also Mailstorm purge seems overwelminly strong but I guess that what it takes to make non aoe guns good. Idk maybe bouncing shells would make it more 'balaced' 

I kinda just put out random numbers for each of the arcanes, vaguely basing it on weapons I'd played recently. Something else I  considered would have been a 'high noon' like auto target, burst fire mode, or as you said ricochets. I went for conditional splash damage because after all is said and done lmgs and assault rifles are fighting against them rather than anything else. Ricochets would be something I might use for the Buried Depths Season 2, which will focus on secondaries.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Teoarrk said:

When it comes down to it, it would have made more sense if they were some kind of amalgamation than anything else. My biggest issue however is that they are used in a place where we have almost every advantage possible over them, including the ability to fly and the bounties on offer don't tip the balance back in their favour one iota.

I really think the best way to lore implement them would be they are what was left off the tubeman project. Maniacs don´t quite have their mind right but they are inteligent and controlable enought to be deployed along side standard troops. We presume the tubemen would be that but better ( stronger and smarter ) , after our sabotage it would make sense the grineer off the project would be pustulent sacks off mutation but still be stronger than your standard grineer. Also given that there is a lot off infestation reserach on the sealab and salav cured himself with tilregor juice I´ve always assumed the tubeman were infested in someway shape or form. ( I´m asssuming both the corpus and grineer are quite aware that warframe bodies where infested in nature they just did not knew about the void demon secret sauce ). 

I kinda just put out random numbers for each of the arcanes, vaguely basing it on weapons I'd played recently. Something else I  considered would have been a 'high noon' like auto target, burst fire mode, or as you said ricochets. I went for conditional splash damage because after all is said and done lmgs and assault rifles are fighting against them rather than anything else. Ricochets would be something I might use for the Buried Depths Season 2, which will focus on secondaries.

I frankly don´t care that much about number balance, I only care about something being balanceble. What i mean, if I see a pure damage skill on a warframe with no scaling I will say it will fall off , If I see I skill with some kind off scaling ( even credit scaling my lastest atempt at unique scaling ) I will only coment on the imbalance if it´s complely out off wack or I can see something way to easy to exploit. 

Edit: what I am trying to get at, it more off loss of identity issue than a power issue but what can be done if the identity is useless on the game setting ( what a sword man can do in call of duty and what can a automatic rifle do in horde game ). I understand why just giving aoe would be the quickest solution for the auto rifle crisis but is it the best one.

Edit: what I'm trying to get at, I only care about the overall direction off to major factors does it fit ( lore and flavour ) and is it balanceable ( is it fundamenlly too strong or to weak ).  What I would give rash criticism. Yareli. Well the entire package does not fit well nor it is balanceble. The Visuals looks more like a deluxe skin , the kit is a theme repeat , the skill desing is atrocious

1 - fundamenlly bad cc ( slow travel , limit targets , LOS limitations) 

2 - bad DR skill ( does not get the cc immunity nor the health scaling that's pretty much standard at this point but does not offer something else significant as return ) 

3 - Non scaling damage skill that works against the frame flow ( k drives have a lot off forward momentum but this skill force the player to keep a precise distance between him and the enemy instead off just sweeping thought the e enemies ) 

4 -  bad grouping ability 

Bad synergy with the helminth due to the Defensive skill silences helminth abilities.

The problem with yariely is not the numbers on the kit is the kit itself. The problem with most skills lies on their very nature and there no changing that her 2 can't be fixed because they made her survivability attached to ridding a k drive but most tile sets are not k drive friendly. It would have been wiser if the k drive was some kind of set up skill ( ridding it would increase range off next cast or something). Her 3 even if it had good damage scaling it would fit better on a any melee blender frame because she can't melee while ridding her 2 and her 2 is worse it positioning the blade than just walking. Her 4 sound neat until we really think about it and realize larva is better because just firing a tenet envoy would do more damage than the explosion anyways. Her kit can't be fixed regardless off the number added. Of course she can be good with hight enough numbers ( give any frame 600 health and he will be the new Inaros ) but that does not mean it would be well designed.

Edited by keikogi
  • Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

And then, it was August.

Hi there. I've been tinkering away on several items, including this old thing.  

I'll update the first post to reflect future plans for the thread and to reflect some of the smaller things I've flung into here. 

For now, I'll also leave you with this rework on Sentinels

Till Then.

Edited by Teoarrk
  • Like 2

9 minutes ago, Teoarrk said:

or now, I'll also leave you with this rework on Sentinels

Till Then.

I think you went to far with the carrier rework since it is far to reliable off a loot increase. Unless you are using the strat odd caminpg and writing for the smeetha buff it has a way better loot wield. 

The 10% damage reduction seems fairly useless frankly. Most people would not even notice it's existence. On character desing it's it's better to avoid minor side buffs because they are mostly seen as white noise. They do help the character to be viable but are not part off what makes the character the character. It's better to negate a attack on hight cooldown than provide 10%damage reduction all the time.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Teoarrk said:

I've finally got some ideas on how to improve Yareli and will post them here tomorrow.

Good luck. I literally did a k drive frame before and can't quite figure out how to fix yariely without effectly creating a new frame. Really think the problem was a the very conception off the skills not the execution. 

I've been fairly inactive here too. The last thing I did was a money frame with esoteric financial powers ( going into health debt ) , investing on allies performance ( to beat a market goal ) , buying time and so on. Never actually finished my miniature railjack frame

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, keikogi said:

Good luck. I literally did a k drive frame before and can't quite figure out how to fix yariely without effectly creating a new frame. Really think the problem was a the very conception off the skills not the execution. 

I'm thinking the best way to handle it (which may dig my own grave) is to double down on the K-Drive. Make it the passive while running and have every ability gain something while it is active.

Never actually finished my miniature railjack frame

Is that so? I'll have to have another gander and see if I can help in some way.

money frame with esoteric financial powers

This sounds awesome.  It is awesome.

Edited by Teoarrk
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, Teoarrk said:

thinking the best way to handle it (which may dig my own grave) is to double down on the K-Drive. Make it the passive while running and have every ability gain something while it is active.

Could work of the transition is smooth enought. But it indeed would make anyone that even remotely dislikes yariely not even equip her for fashion points. Maybe bidding it to the slide would be wiser since it's avoidable while playing. Also make sure to allow merely to equip k drive mods. It's weird it's worse than your usual k drive.

have to have another gander and see if I can help in some way.

Pretty much tan into the fundamental issue of railjack guns don't use mods and I want the miniature railjack to have all features off a normal railjack and plexus support.

This sounds awesome.

Thx

Quickie: Yareli, the vehicle Warframe that is going nowhere fast

Given the post on Thursday, DE are well aware that Yareli is not in a great place. Where I believe DE and the community's opinion differs however, is in the way to handle her going forward. Stat changes alone will not resolve the issues she currently has. Changes need to be made to her abilities, not only to build synergy, but also to make them more effective. Lets get into it.

PassiveMerulina - Hitting dodge summons Yareli's trusty K-Drive, Merulina. While active, Yareli's abilities will gain increased functionality. If Yareli cast an ability before summoning Merulina, it will remain active as the on-foot version. Coincidentally, if Yareli dismounts Merulina, any active abilities will retain their mounted forms.

• While performing tricks, Yareli gains 75% Damage Reduction that extends for 12 seconds after ending a trick.
  • While on Merulina, all forms of knockdown are reduced to Stagger and Stagger recovery times are reduced.
  • Yareli cannot be knocked off Merulina by hitting objects.
  • Yareli can interact with objects while mounted.
  • Yareli can only use Secondary Weapons while on Merulina.
  • While mounted, Yareli cannot be disarmed.
  • To dismount Merulina, Yareli must melee attack, or switch her active weapon.

Exalted Weapon - Merulina - Merulina is as much a weapon as it is a vehicle. Can be equipped with K-Drive Mods. Note: Overrides currently equipped K-Drive in the K-Drive Launcher.

Ability 1 - Sea Snares. (25 Energy) - Yareli fires a beam of bubbles that extends 15 metres. This beam has infinite punch through and is 2 metres wide. Enemies hit will become suspended in mid air by bubbles for up to 12 seconds, taking an increasing amount of Impact damage that starts at 250 for each second spent ensnared.  (Note: this is strong for a first ability, but this is simply to make up for the fact that Yareli is much weaker while on foot.)

While on Merulina, Sea Snares becomes Sea Mines, an ability that is active over a duration of 25 seconds base. Every time Yareli travels 3 metres, a Sea Mine will be summoned. Each Sea Mine will have a duration of 8 seconds that cannot be improved. Each Sea mine will home in on enemies within 15 metres if they are in line of sight at a speed of 8 metres/s. When it comes into contact with an enemy, it will ensnare and damage the target as previous described. 

• Landing a trick while Sea Mines is active will boost the damage of the next Sea Mine by the Trick's Value.

Enemies ensnared by either Sea Snares or Sea Mines will take +25% increased damage from Yareli's other abilities.

• If Aquablades or Aqua Storm is active, the base Damage type will be switched to Slash.

Ability 2 - Jet Stream (50 Energy) - Yareli uses a pressurised jet of water to fling herself to a point 18 metres away (scaling with Ability Range) . Enemies within 5 metres (scaling with Ability Range) of the end point will take 250 Impact Damage (scaling with Ability Strength) and open them up to Finishers for 5 Seconds (scaling with Ability Duration). The jet will persist for 5 seconds, providing +10% Sprint Speed to allies moving in the same direction. 

• Holding Jet Stream will double the damage and AoE of this ability. Instead of opening enemies up to finishers, Merulina will be summoned.

While on Merulina, Jet Stream becomes Jet DiveJet Dive charges the next Double Jump or Bullet Jump landing to deal 250 Impact Damage in a 15 metre AoE.

• If Sea Mines are active, enemies hit by Jet Dive will be trapped as described by Sea Snares.

Ability 3 - Aquablades (75 Energy) - (Pressed) Yareli summons 3 (scaling with Ability Strength) blades of water that revolve around her that revolve around her for 30 seconds (scaling with Ability Duration). They revolve around Yareli at a distance of 4 metres, dealing 500 Slash Damage with 100% status chance to any enemy that comes into contact with them. Each blade will  deal a separate instance of damage.

• Holding the ability will summon a Glaive of water in Yareli's hand. When released, it will fire the Glaive towards the player's reticule that explodes in a 3 metre AoE. Damage dealt and range of this Glaive Explosion will scale with Ability Strength and Ability Range. 

While Merulina is active, Aquablades becomes Aqua Storm. Secondary Critical Chance is boosted by 200% (fixed) and gain +25% Slash Damage (scaling with Ability Strength) for 30 seconds (scaling with Ability Duration).

If either Aquablades or Aqua Storm are active while Jet Dive is cast, the Damage type will be switched to Slash.

Ability 4 - Riptide (100 Energy) - Yareli summons a roiling pool of water. Enemies within 18 metres will be promptly sucked in, taking 1000 impact +25% of their total Shields / Armor as damage. Riptide will persist for 5 seconds, dealing 250 Impact Damage per second. Any enemies killed this way have a 25% chance of dropping a universal ammo pack.

• Enemies affected by Sea Snares or Sea Mines will have their Armor stripped when pulled in.
  • Performing Jet Stream or Jet Dive before performing this ability will increase the base range to 25 metres.  
  • In addition, if Aquablades or Aqua Storm is active when Riptide is cast, the base Damage type will instead be Slash Damage.

________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

This is most likely overtuned heavily. Just think that Yareli is a little too weak at the moment and this was in my opinion at least a better place for her to be than present.

Next Post will be on Loka. 

Till Then.

Edited by Teoarrk
Feedback.
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, keikogi said:

I was on StallordD's discord earlier, and we hit upon a conundrum about Yareli. To quote myself:

"There's... lots of defense frames, and out of all of them..... I haven't played Gara enough to form an opinion, but I like Frost's kit the most of all of them because it's so refreshingly simple

old, clunky, but how does a Frame so ancient feel more useful for crowd control than yareli"

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, (XBOX)Fluffywolf36 said:

I was on StallordD's discord earlier, and we hit upon a conundrum about Yareli. To quote myself:

"There's... lots of defense frames, and out of all of them..... I haven't played Gara enough to form an opinion, but I like Frost's kit the most of all of them because it's so refreshingly simple

old, clunky, but how does a Frame so ancient feel more useful for crowd control than yareli"

Frankly speaking, I can´t shake off the feeling yariel is form over function to an extreme. Why does she has rotating blades when she can´t use melee while using her defensive skill. It would look good on the concept art. Why does a frame has all it´s defense on a mobility skill that can do more harm than good, because it looked good on the art and we did not want to program a smoother trasition to k drive. Why does she use slow bubles to cc , because it looks cute. 

1 hour ago, Teoarrk said:

PassiveMerulina - Sliding summons Yareli's trusty K-Drive, Merulina. While active, Yareli gains +75% damage reduction and each of her abilities will gain increased functionality. If Yareli cast an ability before summoning Merulina, it will remain active as the on-foot version. Coincidentally, if Yareli dismounts Merulina, any active abilities will retain their mounted forms.

Shoving the dr here overloads the passive a bit given that it would be wise to preserve the crit one given that it is the only thing really good about yariel right now 

Ability 1 - Sea Snares. (25 Energy) - Yareli fires a beam of water. Enemies hit will become suspended in mid air by bubbles for up to 12 seconds, taking an increasing amount of Impact damage that starts at 250 for each second spent ensnared.  (Note: this is strong for a first ability, but this is simply to make up for the fact that Yareli is much weaker while on foot.)

I think it would be wiser to make it buble beam instead. just to keep the custesy flavor 

Holding the ability will summon a Glaive of water in Yareli's hand. When released, it will fire the Glaive towards the player's reticule that explodes in a 3 metre AoE. Damage dealt and range of this Glaive Explosion will scale with the player's equipped Melee Mods.

Love this one but given the common complains about stat sticks and the precedent for mutiple exalted things on a frame just making this a exalted weapon seens like a good idead ( i know the precedent is stat stick since the skill does not equi the glaive ) 

Frankly i think i simple recast to throw would fit the skill better and hold to skip the initial spining phase all together 

Ability 4 - Riptide (100 Energy) - Yareli summons a roiling pool of water. Enemies within 18 metres will be promptly sucked in, taking 1000 impact +25% of their total Shields / Armor as damage. Riptide will persist for 5 seconds, dealing 250 Impact Damage per second. Any enemies killed this way have a 25% chance of dropping a universal ammo pack.

Neat 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, keikogi said:

Frankly speaking, I can´t shake off the feeling yariel is form over function to an extreme.

Almost certainly. There's been this problem with lots of recent Frames as far back as Khora where I just... whatever role or theme they're supposed to have feels all over the place. Like, their abilities feel almost grab-bag relative to their theme. Meanwhile, Yareli has a similar problem in that they wanted to make Another Water Frame, which... was honestly their first mistake. So she does water, and...

And what else?

And now, for the requisite horn-tooting that every conceptor does in another creator's thread. Normally when I try to come up with frames I ask two questions: "What's the theme, and what's the role?" So Gagarin is Gravity and CC, (not that useful in today's "Best CC is DED" meta but it sounded fun) Vulkodlak is basically just Krieg from BL2.

And I feel like DE only asks one of those questions.

• Like 2

I've received some pieces of feedback from a couple Discords.

8 hours ago, keikogi said:

Shoving the dr here overloads the passive a bit given that it would be wise to preserve the crit one given that it is the only thing really good about yariel right now 

I wanted to keep the DR since Merulina has to remain somewhat interesting. I've made it more thematic by only applying the DR while performing tricks.

The crit thing is very good. The issue I have with it is that getting something that makes Mesa envious for free is a little overtuned. Maybe how I've handled it is kind of making it a Chroma style ability, but it is in line with other similar abilities like Toxic Lash or Xata's Whisper.

Love this one but given the common complains about stat sticks and the precedent for mutiple exalted things on a frame just making this a exalted weapon seens like a good idead ( i know the precedent is stat stick since the skill does not equi the glaive ) 

I've clarified the wording on this. It's a tap to do one thing, hold to do another type ability.  I've changed how the Glaive works because it would be a bit too strong.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, (XBOX)Fluffywolf36 said:

Almost certainly. There's been this problem with lots of recent Frames as far back as Khora where I just... whatever role or theme they're supposed to have feels all over the place. Like, their abilities feel almost grab-bag relative to their theme. Meanwhile, Yareli has a similar problem in that they wanted to make Another Water Frame, which... was honestly their first mistake. So she does water, and..

I think revenant is the splitting point here. To this ducking day people haven't reached a consensus on what he is supposed to be. Kora had a strong identity but she was stripped off it during development due to fundamental inbalance between physical damage types.

Meanwhile, Yareli has a similar problem in that they wanted to make Another Water Frame, which... was honestly their first mistake. So she does water, and...

I really think they just wanted a janpanse idol Frame and went with the first good art on that theme that came to their desk was chosen. I think it would have been wiser to make a light frame based on the idol nonsense since you could given even more flair and a literal spot light for the frame.

nd now, for the requisite horn-tooting that every conceptor does in another creator's thread. Normally when I try to come up with frames I ask two questions: "What's the theme, and what's the role?" So Gagarin is Gravity and CC, (not that useful in today's "Best CC is DED" meta but it sounded fun) Vulkodlak is basically just Krieg from BL2.

I did frames starting from a skill I wanted into the game and from a theme I wanted on the game. Both methods are perfectly viable but they require multiple drafts to make the whole package fit together. A lot off the recent Frames and mechs feel like the first draft off a kit and not something that was refined. The only Frame that felt really cohesive was sevagoth and gauss , the rest either has a problems in lore cohesion ( protea random rewind skill necessary for the whole granum nonsense,  the rest off her kit is so mundane in nature ( shield generator,  turret , supply depot ) and her last skill is almost mystical in nature , if the rest off the kit was more exotic ( like a black hole turret , a shield reminder instead of recharger and a recharger that reminds your magazine in time ( recuperate x% of the bullets you spent on the last Y seconds ) the rewind 4 would make more sense ) or in kit cohesion ( Grendel redundant skill ( 1 and 3 spit enemies function) , extremely energy hungry frame that can't generate energy by itself ( buffing energy gain still requires another energy engine)  and 4 th that requires a argument to bi mild amusing ) 

So Gagarin is Gravity and CC, (not that useful in today's "Best CC is DED" meta

You can make a gravity frame these days . Just throw in 1 skill gravity anchor changes your personal gravity towards the target terrain or enemy  if it was a terrain your personal gravity will be in its direction for X seconds. This is an amazing mobility skill allowing you to fall in any direction and slam attack your way into enemies. 

4 skill Black hole , makes a small black hole that feeds on nearby matter. Black hole deal damage scaling with its current mass and reduced by range from center. Black hole eats the body of nearby dead enemies increase its mass by the enemy HP. 

You got yourself a solid damage and mobility core to build the cc around.

3 hours ago, Teoarrk said:

wanted to keep the DR since Merulina has to remain somewhat interesting. I've made it more thematic by only applying the DR while performing tricks.

Fair enough,  probably could use a grace time after the trick ends .

3 hours ago, Teoarrk said:

The crit thing is very good. The issue I have with it is that getting something that makes Mesa envious for free is a little overtuned. Maybe how I've handled it is kind of making it a Chroma style ability, but it is in line with other similar abilities like Toxic Lash or Xata's Whisper.

Generally speaking its just a good idea to keep whatever the player base thinks it's good after s rework more for calming down the mob than any proper desing reason. I'm not a fan off the gain crit while doing X because they try to hard to enforce a play style. 

Edit saw that the passive is back as part off the active , 

I've clarified the wording on this. It's a tap to do one thing, hold to do another type ability.  I've changed how the Glaive works because it would be a bit too strong

It's a reasonable way to implement it.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, (XBOX)Fluffywolf36 said:

And now, for the requisite horn-tooting that every conceptor does in another creator's thread. Normally when I try to come up with frames I ask two questions: "What's the theme, and what's the role?" So Gagarin is Gravity and CC, (not that useful in today's "Best CC is DED" meta but it sounded fun) Vulkodlak is basically just Krieg from BL2.

I don't take issue with horn tooting at all, toot away :) . These two questions limit my own creation of new frames because finding a niche for them to fit in that other frames can't is very tricky.

Edited by Teoarrk
  • Like 1

34 minutes ago, keikogi said:

Fair enough,  probably could use a grace time after the trick ends .

I agree, going to make the edit.

Generally speaking its just a good idea to keep whatever the player base thinks it's good after s rework more for calming down the mob than any proper desing reason. I'm not a fan off the gain crit while doing X because they try to hard to enforce a play style. 

Edit saw that the passive is back as part off the active , 

Yeah I wanted to keep it, but only while Yareli is on her K-Drive since it plays into her theme.

It's a reasonable way to implement it.

I have to say that the exalted weapon approach was also tempting. I chose this direction because I was then looking at 2 exalted weapons.

Edited by Teoarrk
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, keikogi said:

A lot off the recent Frames and mechs feel like the first draft off a kit and not something that was refined. The only Frame that felt really cohesive was sevagoth and gauss , the rest either has a problems in lore cohesion

I agree. I feel like the conversations we have are more feedback than what was had for quite a few recent frames in production. Talking of which, might have something for Railjack Frame. I'll send it in DMs.

1 hour ago, keikogi said:

I think revenant is the splitting point here. To this ducking day people haven't reached a consensus on what he is supposed to be.

At this point I'm kind of just acknowledging some of the lore or Warframes as 'it exists' rather than truly taking it in as part of a singular, cohesive story and game.

Edited by Teoarrk

On 2021-08-22 at 12:06 PM, Teoarrk said:

I don't take issue with horn tooting at all, toot away :) . These two questions limit my own creation of new frames because finding a niche for them to fit in that other frames can't is very tricky.

Well, it doesn't have to be hard and fast. It just makes a good starting point.

On 2021-08-22 at 11:42 AM, keikogi said:

I think revenant is the splitting point here. To this ducking day people haven't reached a consensus on what he is supposed to be. Kora had a strong identity but she was stripped off it during development due to fundamental inbalance between physical damage types.

On 2021-08-22 at 12:49 AM, (XBOX)Fluffywolf36 said:

You are so right about Revenant. Khora was just the first thing that came to mind. Honestly, I think that switching damage types is something only the Hystrix will ever really be good at. 

On 2021-08-22 at 11:42 AM, keikogi said:

Just throw in 1 skill gravity anchor changes your personal gravity towards the target terrain or enemy  if it was a terrain your personal gravity will be in its direction for X seconds. This is an amazing mobility skill allowing you to fall in any direction and slam attack your way into enemies. 

Gagarin has that.

• 2 weeks later...

Health check: how is the thread doing?

Hi there. Loka is still chugging along. I made a feedback form to gauge how well the thread is doing. It's just 4 questions.

Depending on the feedback I will consider delivering the story in chapters.

Thank you for any feedback you wish to give. 

Till Then.

• Like 1

On 2021-08-21 at 5:10 PM, Teoarrk said:

And then, it was August.

Hi there. I've been tinkering away on several items, including this old thing.  

I'll update the first post to reflect future plans for the thread and to reflect some of the smaller things I've flung into here. 

For now, I'll also leave you with this rework on Sentinels

Till Then.

Im digging the direction of these changes, especially the invincible part as i feel it makes a lot of sense. I def start using them a bit more if they didnt die permanently or at all, real nice!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, (PSN)Frost_Nephilim said:

Im digging the direction of these changes, especially the invincible part as i feel it makes a lot of sense. I def start using them a bit more if they didnt die permanently or at all, real nice!

Thank you. :)

Edited by Teoarrk

• 1 month later...

Change of plans", well, thank you, again... had nothing better to do! /s:  Warframe

Loka is taking way longer than anticipated to be anywhere near done.  Therefore, in the spirit of presenting something in a timely manner, I present a new series.

________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

The Technocyte Schism Part 1: A Dilemma Unfolds

I awake, standing in the middle of a pond of lotus flowers. Lush gardens in full bloom in every direction around, a low and full sun feeding the grateful blooms. Nature is at peace here, it’s harmony expressed in every movement of the breeze. I blink and 5 plants have grown taller than the rest, the sun charring them black for their greed. I blink and the flowers of the 5 plants have sagged to face me. Each one has a human face, their eyes unblinking. The wind changes and each begins to sing a song without harmony, nor words. The singing makes each flower about them burst into a deluge of black blood that drowns the lotus flowers. In a final cruel act, they turn to the sun, which swells and bulges, until it explodes into a black, inky tar that paints the sky black. 

-Vision of Amaryn, First of the Lokan Commune.

39 days ago: Reports have come in all across the System of boil sightings. Red Veil Observatories begin cataloguing each and tracking their movement. An interesting note is discovered: a boil travels from one dark sector to another within the Trans Neptunian Orbit. The vast amount of data creates a spontaneous moment of collaboration with Sudan researchers on the significance of the event. 

34 days ago: Amaryn approaches the Trio of Vinnana for an answer to a strange vision: ‘5 heads will sing and the sky will turn black’. The scholars do not have an answer. The weave is abuzz with theories and scathing remarks about the New Lokan leader.

32 days ago: Observers around the original Mutalist hive report activity. An Infested Boil emerges from a cluster of ships, it’s trajectory reported to the relevant authorities. Railjack corvettes owned and operated by more affluent Tenno coordinate to destroy the mass before it leaves Eris Proxima.

31 days ago: A short morse signal was received by rail jockeys on the shipping route Lantha between Mars and Ceres. The message provides a grim portent: Arlo comes again to receive the downtrodden. The signal's origin is later pinpointed to a derelict Corpus vessel. A Perrin Sequence investigation party, lead by Yun Ma herself is quick to uncover a curious development: alongside several longwave transponders on board are a collection of Corpus Void Keys, hybridised with Technocyte flesh that is unlike anything anyone present has ever seen. These are taken in for study. No trace of those responsible are found, nor any information on where the keys lead.

28 days ago: Teshin held a coalition meeting to discuss further preparations for the upcoming war. During the meeting, Sravus brings up the unusually high movement of Infestation across the system. With hands tied due to the larger Sentient threat, he is advised to defer investigations to Tenno and Lotus Path elements. 

25 days ago: Lotus Path Guardian patrol vessels around Kronia Relay reported strange spacetime signatures coming from deep space. They send out requests for any available Tenno cells in the area to investigate. 

A Tenno by the name of Kubeba is the first to investigate. He identifies the signature as a large fleet of Corpus Freighters. When hailed, the fleet took on evasive maneuvers. Kubeba attempted to board one of the vessels, finding access on an auxiliary craft in the hold.  He is forced to retreat after an unidentified object interferes with his Warframe.  Further investigation from a distance proved impossible as his landing craft was attacked by scrambled Corpus fighters. 

The final information Kubeba reported of note was that the Corpus Guild insignia on each ship was not like any other he had seen before. The information of a new Corpus Guild reaches Lotus Path Guardian high command, Joon Holas in particular making many inquiries into the particulars of the insignia. 

After his questions were answered, Joon immediately demanded a state of emergency to be declared. The fleet belongs to the Corpus bioterrorist faction by the name of Black Seed. All Tenno and Tenno allied contingents are to remain on high alert until the fleet has been destroyed. 

23 days ago: A Grineer mining operation based above Sedna is attacked by a boil. The distress beacon sent out is initially ignored by local command, due to it being a local festival day known as Skumdrum. Military forensics later dispatched a warning over open channels of creatures that cannot be killed by small arms fire. A handful of Grineer survivors give testimonials of the strength of locally made gun emplacements and demand listeners to only buy from Harkonar arms.

22 days ago: A corpus freeport in the outer sector is attacked. The distress signal is quickly replaced with another darker message: From this Black Seed, we all shall flourish. Await the harvest. A number of other freighters and outposts are struck in similar lightning raids, each boosting the message across the airwaves. The pirate radio station Nightwave is temporarily hijacked when the frequency is used by one such booster. Nora Night spends the remaining duration of the broadcast discussing the terrorist attack and issuing bounties on Black Seed. 

21 days ago: Further attacks occur, this time on Sedna itself. Kela de Thaym is forced to ask for mercenaries to assist her overstretched forces. Tenno that fight off the intermittent Infested outbreaks report several new infested forms, all adapted for breakthrough assault. They also say, but cannot confirm, that they felt eyes watching their movements at every moment of combat.  

17 days ago: Several Orokin Derelicts long thought to be in locked orbits above the surface of Europa begin to move. In becoming free, they crash together. Local elements from all Syndicates go to investigate the phenomenon, which is dubbed ‘The Steeple of Want’ due to the tower-like shape and the shining gold exterior of the vessels. 

16 days ago: Most investigation parties reveal nothing, but one in particular arrives on Kronia Relay with premonitions of the coming of a great healer. Given recent events in the sector, the party is taken in for further questioning and interrogation. After a 5 hour testimony split between the four, they are allowed to leave. 

15 days ago: A Corpus freighter by the name of Auror approaches the Orcus relay’s perimeter. The ship’s Cephalon hails the Relay with several distress signals, indicating the critical condition of the reactor and crew. A void engine blowback apparently caused a reactor meltdown, leading to a shutdown of major systems, including life support and propulsion, the ship having to rely on gravity and momentum alone for 20 days. Hazard crews tow the ship outside the perimeter, while also investigating the interior of the vessel. Rampant infestation of all systems is quickly discovered. Massive Infested organisms attack one hazard crew,  killing 3 and wounding 6 more members. After a hastily organised evacuation, Lotus Path Guardian fleet elements utilise Ttatakai class cruisers to utterly exterminate the vessel in a hail of sustained fire.  Of the six wounded, 4 more lose their lives due to the severity of their wounds. The entirety of hazard team Leti receive the Protector Sugatra of Valor, Of those dead it is buried alongside their ashes. 

13 days ago: A large number of high level Grineer communications from Mercury are dispatched over midnight. Decoding efforts are underway. Tenno Cells operating in the Mercury area report spreading Infestation presence in the area and limited Grineer presence. A growing network of remote observers monitor the spread, as it threatens the free Larunda Colony.

11 days ago: The messages are decoded, some addressed by or to members of the royal science society. Further Technocyte experimentation on Mercury lead to the unthinkable: impregnation of a ‘Kurokk’ strain into ghoul defectors in an attempt to see if the strain could be utilised to improve ghoul deadliness. 

The researchers conferred information constantly during the initial test on live subjects. The experiment was going well until half an hour after the initial injection. The on hand Grineer soldiers were butchered by the test subjects while many of the scientists were evacuated. The remaining elements manning Mercury stations are lower to not attract the attention of these Kurokk ghouls.

Tenno cells operating around Mercury are instructed to create fire teams, focusing on eliminating any Kurokk ghouls they find. Sargus Ruk broadcasts a message of solidarity with any forces fighting in Mercury Proxima and promises severe punishment of any involved in the creation of the Kurokk Infestation strain.

9 days ago: Grineer sealabs surrounding the Dark sector of Ur are assaulted by Apostles of Arlo. Drekar forces remain in pursuit of the attackers as they pass through their installations, resulting in a bizarre discovery: the apostles butchering other infested lifeforms. This discovery is transmitted over shortwave radio, which is captured and decoded by Syndicate spies. 

6 days ago: An unnamed Syndicate member on Eris sends out a distress call on open channels. The harrowing 5 minute plea is quickly spread across the weave. Arbiter Seekers in the area rush to the scene, but it is too late. An autopsy reveals that the wounds suffered are more in line with torture than a run in with Infested drones. Members of the Hand of Sneha are dispatched across the world. The operative, identified as an Arbiter Truthseeker that had been missing for the past 3 weeks. There will be a ceremony in his honor in the gardens of Bud'dhikō within the next few days.

5 days ago: Teshin calls an emergency coalition meeting, to discuss a plan of action to best handle the growing infested threat. Cephalon Eureka and Cantis jointly present a map of projected boil routes, which reveals many instances of multiple boils hitting the same target at once. The 4 day old report from Syndicate spies on Uranus brings into question the nature of the response to the threat. The meeting is adjourned with several major directives in place to evacuate several free colonies and fortify several key trade routes.  The pride of the Lotus Path Guardians, the Carrier Kil’ha is deployed above Uranus, to safeguard the planet from surprise Sentient attack while the situation diverts major attention away from the threat of Hunhow and other key Sentients. A temporary cordon is set up above Cetus to achieve the same goal, manned by several Cutter Cruisers and supporting corvettes. 

2 days ago: The first organised response is mustered in response to an SOS signal from a Perrin Sequence aligned Corpus Freeport. Steel Meridian of the 45th Kwun Jo platoon are first on the scene, finding the local forces in disarray, but still mustering an evacuation. The 45th help station militia drive the Infestation back to the collision sites, which are cleared over the next few hours with blast charges and napalm. The mission is considered a resounding success, with minimal casualties.

1 day ago: A resounding trumpet is heard across the entire system. Orokin ruins long thought dormant come to life, disrupting many essential services systemwide, including military privileges of Tenno vessels on the Solar Rail. The Entrati Family deliver a baffling message to coalition command: An Orokin Emperor is responsible for the chaos. Tenno craft able to navigate the system without use of the Solar Rail are used to maintain the coalition's ability to launch sorties, but the availability of craft cripples the flexibility of coalition forces. This is not entirely negative, as the focused manpower can better handle SOS responses and build rapport across Syndicates. 

17 hours ago: A live firefight breaks out aboard the Strata relay between Lotus Path Security and several unknown assailants. After an intense 30 minutes of fighting, one surviving member of the attacking force disappears before security can apprehend them. Corpus Void Keys are found among the bodies, alongside several Technocyte weapons of unknown design. 

13 hours ago: Several Tenno contacted coalition command with news of a strange message spoken by their Orbiter’s Helminth. The details of the message include an invitation and a set of coordinates that point to a specific aphelion of the orbit of Ceres. Teshin instructs all Tenno Operatives to avoid the area, threatening that any dangers presented by the Grineer or Infestation ‘pale in comparison to those within and without the Orange Palace’. 

10 hours ago: A Phorid sighting was reported by Corpus stationed in Callisto. The message quickly changes when multiple other high threat Infestation targets appear. Tenno mercenaries that respond find Zanuka Amalgams among the Corpus troops. 

6 hours ago: The Silver Grove is attacked by a massed horde of infested, which are butchered by a mixture of Silvana’s Guardians and zealous New Lokan forces. Among the dead, a Vitruvian is found, uncorrupted by Technocyte. 

5 hours ago: Several key Grineer installations in Sedna are attacked at once by Black Seed.

3 hours ago: A lone Tenno ventures to the coordinates listed in the Helminth message, broadcasting their actions on the weave. They suddenly disappear 2 kilometres from their destination. Solar Rail access is restored for all Tenno vessels shortly thereafter.

1 hour ago: The Vitruvian is taken to a trusted Cephalon within Suda’s knowledge circle. The contents of the Vitruvian is startling, but the most significant find is the signed declaration of war in high Orokin  that is less than a day old.

The contents reads as follows:

To the usurpers of harmony,

Those who would, with sword and malice cast down humanity's golden age, who would damn the sovereign light of progress, I speak to you. The time of your undoing is at hand and this missive it's herald. You thought yourself rid of those casting long shadows, posturing yourself in stead. How tragic it must be, to know that your enemies have been regaining their strength in secret, biding their time and sharpening their resolve. Long centuries in hiding have brought within me the malice required to turn a blind eye towards the Origin System I once governed and toward the task that must be performed. 

The cruel sting you granted in times long past have bidden a similar barb to burst forth of my own creation; a foul blossom which will rend asunder the harmony you have selfishly enjoyed. I shall poison the well and all that reside as leeches at it's cusp, beware! The weapons of spite and plague will cast you down without mercy, just as you did while honors spouted from my lips, foul demons!

Omnis actio consequitur.

The Saffron Emperor

And on that note, that is the end of Part 1. Part 2 will cover the rogues gallery of factions that you will be facing during the schism. 

Special thanks to @keikogi for coming up with the base premise.

Stay tuned for Part 2: Enemies of the same flesh.

Till then.

Edited by Teoarrk
  • Like 1

I like the time it takes for the situation to develop and as far as game desing is concerned this could also lead to some interesting use off gamplay to tell an history. It wouldn't remarkable funny if it started with just a transmission from the redveil notification the player there weirdstuff happening with the infeistation and not really elaborate,  no new event after the update but a bunch of larger chargers are now part of the infestation units. 2 days later the player would actually receive the notification of the event since there infested railjack to farm

Same goes for the rest of the event , frankly speaking this would be a neat nightwave since it's format rools well with the old nigjtwave structure.

Overall I really like the way the history shows and not really tells. Most of the info regarding the new infestation is pretty deductive reasoning from murder acne or the last reports someone could scramble. So the information is easy to spot but not the case off the scientist guy saying look infestation tactics and vengeance.

Also man did you remember the blackseed group from that ancient juggernaut event.

As far as faction their actions are quite in "character". The grinner duck ups are funny and seemingly lore friendly(given the info we recentlygot wit male lichea laid back personality and a crime sceneon the night wave ).the corpus seen way to altruistic ( not really give too much off a #*!% about economic, if the Facebook outage taught us anything is that a company would rather l loose billion in market value Tham pay a dime in securities.

12 hours ago, Teoarrk said:

Special thanks to @keikogi for coming up with the base premise.

Glad to know I've helped. Going to take  a deeper look at it tomorrow

Edited by keikogi
  • Like 1

Ooooo, this reminds me of my own work with possible sub factions and my Conqueror Wyrm event, but, with far more story development in significant advance.

I have to agree with Mr. K up there, rig these into new broadcasts on our whisper radios that pop up, perhaps cook up a Corpus-corporate-flavored or indie news network that covers Sol System events, integrate it into the Nightwave systems where Nora gives us the “Real Deal”, I can see it working to keep folks immersed.

• Like 2