Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

DE Dear god. Auto save on open maps.

(NSW)Yaibajin

When I first played this game and went on plains of eidolon and orb vallis adventures I assumed progress was saved everytime you did something like finished a bounty.

Fallout did it. Skyrim did it. Farcry. Just cause. GTA. Breath of the wild.

It was just... common sense. Open world map with lots to do and alot of time spent traversing. Games saves with each milestone. And then I got burned. Hard. And I swear it happens to alot of people when they realise all the progress they did was gone. Like say. A bunch of joiners don't want to extract yet but you want to. They refuse so you just exit out via the pause menu.

OOPS all your progress is gone. Or game bugs out and acts like you just entered the instance (your instance as the host) and repeats the bounty as if you never did it because you chose to leave the squad.

For the longest time I just kinda accepted this aspect as just DE things. But then I just set out to do a nice big daily standing farm for fortuna and did it in one fell swoop. It just has that feel to it you know? That once more factor where you just wanna keep going instead of exiting and staring at the ungodly load time (accepted that as a fact of life on switch).

And once I was done it was time to cash in my winnings. Except whoops. Network not responding. Bye 27000 standing.

Frankly. I wanna cry right now. And I'm scared to try again. And I'm too depressed to try again. Not once in all that time the game saved. That in all honestly is idiotic. Archaic in fact. It simply shouldnt happen. Not in this day and age. I've tolerated for quite awhile but godammit people shouldn't have to walk on such egg shells.

Couple of things to unpack from all that before aiming any sights. I understand the frustration btw, but lets look at things logically.

First, i'm not sure why you're comparing a F2P MMO to that list of games. They share nothing in common and are built primarily as solo campaign games.

Secondly, i've personally never had that happen in Plains. Tbh it sounds more likey that you quit before the end of the last phase of the bounty. Could be wrong ofc but that's more likely.

Finally, the Switch is Notorious for connectivity issues. Tragically Notorious for it unfortunately. Theres 4 factors here: Your broadband Provider, Your broadband equipment, Nintendo being sh** with Internet connectivity, and DE. Why are you so sure the blame lies with DE here?

On 2020-08-09 at 2:12 PM, (NSW)Yaibajin said:

It was just... common sense. Open world map with lots to do and alot of time spent traversing. Games saves with each milestone. And then I got burned. Hard. And I swear it happens to alot of people when they realise all the progress they did was gone. Like say. A bunch of joiners don't want to extract yet but you want to. They refuse so you just exit out via the pause menu.

All Open Worlds: PoE, Vallis, and the upcoming Deimos

NEED to have Individual Extraction

and most importantly, they need to do it seamlessly; having the Host be the one who extracts, should not force a world resetting Migration and Loading Screen for everyone else.

Having a player be Host and track reward progress for all other player in the Open World; when those players are potentially doing completely unrelated activities from that Host is nonsensical.

The p2p Host model works fine for the old Starchart Nodes where the mission is clear cut and linear, but it has been shoehorned into the open world activities because DE was either too lazy or their Single Netcode Guy too overwhelmed to write up a new system. What'd you do? spaghetti-code yourself into a corner?

Fun Idea: I know you already have some dedicated servers used to Host Relay Instances. How about you repurpose those to Host Open World Instances instead? Open Worlds that retain their state regardless of which players randomly leave it?

2 hours ago, (PS4)haphazardlynamed said:

Fun Idea: I know you already have some dedicated servers used to Host Relay Instances. How about you repurpose those to Host Open World Instances instead? Open Worlds that retain their state regardless of which players randomly leave it?

Yeah give DE 50 million dollars per year for server maintenance so they can keep it up!

DE doesn’t have that much money in their pockets. They make only around $160 million dollars in revenue (NOT PROFIT) in 2019 based on the Leyou report. I would definitely want Dedicated Servers, but it’s currently financially impossible. 

35 minutes ago, DrivaMain said:

Yeah give DE 50 million dollars per year for server maintenance so they can keep it up!

DE doesn’t have that much money in their pockets. They make only around $160 million dollars in revenue (NOT PROFIT) in 2019 based on the Leyou report. I would definitely want Dedicated Servers, but it’s currently financially impossible. 

Didn't you hear? they already have dedicated servers

they're just squandering them on hosting Relays that are rapidly becoming irrelevant, and certainly don't need need to track anything critical like mission progress and rewards.

Ditch the Relays, repurpose those servers to host places we care about.

8 hours ago, (PS4)haphazardlynamed said:

they're just squandering them on hosting Relays that are rapidly becoming irrelevant, and certainly don't need need to track anything critical like mission progress and rewards.

Relays are Social Hubs. Of course they are important. If we don't have them how does players meet each other and interact outside of clans? 

Besides relays are easier to maintain due to no combat which means less load. Game servers? That will harder to maintain and that increases cost and you need to make M O R E. You gotta have enough servers to contain over 60-150k concurrent players.

12 hours ago, (PS4)haphazardlynamed said:

Yeah those servers would be used for any and all social relays/hubs. Two in particular spring to mind though, Cetus and Fortuna.

Can't see them being irrelevant any time soon, especially with Deimos on the way. Maybe thats just me though.

3 hours ago, DrivaMain said:

Relays are Social Hubs. Of course they are important. If we don't have them how does players meet each other and interact outside of clans? 

Besides relays are easier to maintain due to no combat which means less load. Game servers? That will harder to maintain and that increases cost and you need to make M O R E. You gotta have enough servers to contain over 60-150k concurrent players.

No, you wouldn't use the servers to track combat data, that's way too much server load.

The way you do it, is have each player in the Open World on his local machine track the NPCs, items, etc in his immediate proximity. -this makes sense considering different players are doing unrelated activities.

All the World Host does is act as a Player Roster, tracking who is in the current World Instance, and based on proximity dynamically matchmakes the players to one another so they can interact. The Dedicated World Host only deals with the highest level information, you don't bog it down with stuff like combat details.

Note that this is exactly the same task load those servers are currently handling for Relays -just a Roster of who can see and chat with who. They should be able to act as a World Roster just as easily as a Relay Roster.

Also Note, that the system I've just described is exactly how Destiny2 does its Open World dynamic matchmaking, and its beautiful. Try playing it sometime if you haven't, the Open Worlds are the one thing that Destiny definitively does better than Warframe. (in most other aspects WF wins for me)

Players don't need a contrived social hub, when World Events (Destiny calls then Public Events, WF would call them Incursions) naturally bring players together to meet and join up...

DE has the server hardware to handle this kind of system; the main barrier is they don't have the Programmer staff to implement it. There's literally just 1 guy who handles all the netcode. Most of the rest of the team is graphics and art to produce 'content' than can be implemented as data and scripting, but minimal backend program alteration... Get more real Coders DE, nothing but a constant stream of reskins shoehorned into that tiny old laboring game engine can only stretch so far...

Archived