Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Inconsistent PBR on Nidus' Infestation

Teletric

EDIT: As pointed out by @NightmareT12, there are parts of Nidus' abilities that use assets created after Warframe started using PBR (like his Larva) but they are mixed in with assets that were reused from the Infested Corpus Ship tileset which was released before PBR was added. I have made changes in the post to reflect this information.

I'm very happy that the issue of energy colors not properly applying to Nidus' Ravenous tendrils was fixed, but unfortunately his Infestation still remains quite ugly, and not in the Infested kind of way. 

From what I have gathered, the overarching problem is that various textures and materials that his Infestation uses seem like they weren't updated to receive the PBR treatment, resulting in them looking very plastic-y and flat in brighter areas (these assets are re-used from the Infested Corpus Ship Tileset, which was released before PBR was implemented into Warframe). Also, the "grass" in his infestation is visibly pixelated, and looks white and faded in certain lighting conditions, an issue which is actually visible in the ability video for Ravenous.

Another issue that comes as a result of Nidus' Infestation using pre-PBR assets is that most of his infestation is not able to make use of the secondary energy color slot properly, leading to his infestation looking inconsistent. The grass, blobs, and the tendrils (reused assets) on his Ravenous ability only use whatever color is in the first energy color slot, while the maggot "spawners" and maggots themselves use both energy colors (newer assets). Similarly, the spores (reused asset) spawned from Virulence do not seem to make use of both energy colors, while the tendrils do.

All I'm asking is to give Nidus' Infestation some love and bring it up to date with your current rendering technology. Perhaps this could be done by replacing the aforementioned Infested Corpus Tileset assets in his abilities with ones from Deimos that make use of the new rendering tech.

17 hours ago, NightmareT12 said:

All of Nidus abilities are using PBR since the assets were created for him in U19.5, long after DE switched from Blinn-Phong to PBR assets in U15 (a couple years earlier) 😅

EDIT: Not saying quality of materials can't be better, there's always room for improvement.

Whoops, I was under the impression that DE re-used Infested assets that existed since before update 15, which is why the infestation in his "Ravenous" ability doesn't look too great in certain environments.

9 hours ago, Teletric said:

Whoops, I was under the impression that DE re-used Infested assets that existed since before update 15, which is why the infestation in his "Ravenous" ability don't look too great in certain environments.

My bad, actually you're right 😅. Double checked again now and it seems to use various reused assets. It's the rest of his abilities that use specific assets for him (ie Larva).

Ravenous tendrils seem indeed reused from the Corpus Infested ship (U13.8-U14) (I was thinking of stuff in Orokin Derelict).

Here's screenies:

Larva (you can easily see the material):

Spoiler

I9tvYtz.jpg

However, rest of Ravenous assets:

Spoiler

SDbwh2Q.jpg

wjTJRnQ.jpg

The second pic here especially looks quite "flat".

So I guess they'll be updated when they come around to redo the Infested Corpus ship tileset and related assets (which is hopefully next, because even if there's older stuff it's probably the one that has aged the worst).

EDIT: As a bonus, to compare, here's Eiris:

Spoiler

KFxnuNS.jpg

mtQgTvf.jpg

5 hours ago, NightmareT12 said:

My bad, actually you're right 😅. Double checked again now and it seems to use various reused assets. It's the rest of his abilities that use specific assets for him (ie Larva).

Ravenous tendrils seem indeed reused from the Corpus Infested ship (U13.8-U14) (I was thinking of stuff in Orokin Derelict).

Here's screenies:

Larva (you can easily see the material):

Reveal hidden contents

I9tvYtz.jpg

However, rest of Ravenous assets:

Reveal hidden contents

SDbwh2Q.jpg

wjTJRnQ.jpg

The second pic here especially looks quite "flat".

So I guess they'll be updated when they come around to redo the Infested Corpus ship tileset and related assets (which is hopefully next, because even if there's older stuff it's probably the one that has aged the worst).

EDIT: As a bonus, to compare, here's Eiris:

Reveal hidden contents

KFxnuNS.jpg

mtQgTvf.jpg

Gotcha. That makes sense since the Glast Gambit quest took place in the Infested Corpus ship tileset, which needs an update as well, definitely.

Hopefully it's one of those things where changing the assets in one place updates in the others, because I'm really not looking forward to waiting for Nidus Prime (Summer 2021 probably) for this to be addressed.

Archived