Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Why I Feel Exploration Is Unrewarding

PenutReaper

So, I've played for quite a while and know my way around most of the tiles in the game, but I recently started exploring and messing around in the mercury missions while trying to stick Grineer to the walls.

I was able to get into a couple of interesting places, often spending up to 10 mins trying to get into certain areas.

What was my reward for reaching these places... Nothing.

I feel that adding some rewards for reaching these spots, even a bunch of crates would be nice.

I will add some screenshots of locations I feel should contain rewards later.

So, I've played for quite a while and know my way around most of the tiles in the game, but I recently started exploring and messing around in the mercury missions while trying to stick Grineer to the walls.

I was able to get into a couple of interesting places, often spending up to 10 mins trying to get into certain areas.

What was my reward for reaching these places... Nothing.

I feel that adding some rewards for reaching these spots, even a bunch of crates would be nice.

I will add some screenshots of locations I feel should contain rewards later.

Its rewarding, but just gets booring when you need to do it 3 times for rng to reward you with and orokin cell from "that container up there" 

Edited by PiotrGracz

Exactly.

The devs are subconsciously favoring rushing as a behavior.

Scott said he recognized it for stealth players, but nobody has really talked about explorers

i always explore. [unless in void, not being host. then host decide]

and i always get more stuff than would get usualy.

Rare materials, credits [laugh if you want, but with credit booster and carrier above arm, its +7-10k per mission+ regular mission reward]

Rushing is a choice, not forced mechanic.

Edited by PiotrGracz

I think you misunderstand...

I am not talking about exploring the levels, I am talking about spending 20 mins trying to reach spots that you are not even sure are reachable just to see if anything interesting is there.

Here is an example.

One of the Grinner Galleon spawns, not the one where you drop down, the other one. If you look up you see some walkways above you. I spent around 15 mins trying to get up there, in the end I managed it, now I have it down I can do it in under a minute. But I have no reason to do so. There is nothing up there at all.

i always explore. [unless in void, not being host. then host decide]

and i always get more stuff than would get usualy.

Rare materials, credits [laugh if you want, but with credit booster and carrier above arm, its +7-10k per mission+ regular mission reward]

Rushing is a choice, not forced mechanic.

Credit booster is nice for the Mission money reward. The in game money reward is far to small to be worth anything. Even running pretty far into on a Survival map I got like at most 2000 extra credits without the money buff. But it can get you a lot of money by doing missions for the mission credits.

But I too think exploration yields very little reward. You're better rewarded on Survival or Endless Defense.

Credit booster is nice for the Mission money reward. The in game money reward is far to small to be worth anything. Even running pretty far into on a Survival map I got like at most 2000 extra credits without the money buff. But it can get you a lot of money by doing missions for the mission credits.

But I too think exploration yields very little reward. You're better rewarded on Survival or Endless Defense.

check reward log. i usualy get 7-10k mission credits [not mission reward]

This thread is not about rushing or exploring as playstyles, it is about spending a long time trying to reach an area in a level and finding nothing, no crates, no lockers.

As I said previously I will get some pics when I am back at my pc.

Wallrun room at top of one rooms? with 8 lockers , 4 on each side? 

sometimes u get 4 containers and 7 green lockers. 

sometimes no containers and all red lockers.

/RNG

The Grineer maps are actually packed full of little out of the way places to get to for no reason at all.  It would almost seem like there was an original idea to put good rewards in those areas but then it just sorta went away.  I dunno but there are high level catwalks and places you can go in many rooms.  They space is there but never any containers or lockers so it would seem a bit odd.

This thread is too true. Its amazing how many secret areas the level designers tucked in that there's no incentive to ever visit again. The grineer asteroid and corpus planet maps in particular have so many secrets that you have to use skill and time to find and get to but once you get there your reward might only be 200 credits and some circuts from a crate.

Compare this to a rusher who can do the same mission in 4 minutes for 4000 credits or more and you can see why people rush.

Some people enjoy exploring, and I'm one of them! As a Level Designer I try to put an emphasis on exploration within the levels. This topic is definitely discussed with my fellow designers and you should see more and more in the coming months.

Thanks for the feedback!

Well, it may be difficult for some frames, but what about Nova? Secret areas that are hard to reach but don't involve puzzles are a walk in the park for her. If there was a bunch of crates in all of these difficult to reach areas, with large sums of Credits/Resources/What-Have-You, there would be Novas finding and breaking into them with Wormhole. As much as I think exploration is fun, the focus of the game is (presumably) on combat, not hanging from rafters like Tenno-Batman.

I dunno, food for thought

My favorite place that I found was the vent at the top of the orokin generator room in the void.  I'm not going to spoil how to get up that high, but its incredibly fulfilling to reach that height, but also pretty disheartening to get there and find... nothing but credits and health orbs.

My favorite place that I found was the vent at the top of the orokin generator room in the void.  I'm not going to spoil how to get up that high, but its incredibly fulfilling to reach that height, but also pretty disheartening to get there and find... nothing but credits and health orbs.

Have to agree with you, I play Nova but I'll still climb up there manually since it's fun. Though it's pretty disheartening to see how many players are actually incapable of reaching it even when you explain how.

It is in the derelicts as well.  I've had a couple good mods from it in the void, but the derelict rooms only ever have credits and some health/energy maybe 200 affinity.

Most secret areas seem to have reward items in them, but there's a lot of bubble boxes(1-3 orbs, shield, affinity, and/or health) and ammo cache(1-3 ammo packs, and a stack of credits). Occassionally there's materials, so it's not a total loss, but they often seem like they only exist for the fun of finding them--which it is fun.

However, there's also so few players that can reach them, you're often on your own--most don't even try. Just keep flatfooting it along corridors.

I would like to see some rares, or, maybe even a special item type that *only* spawns in hidden locations.

I do, however, fear that heavily favors certain frames(nova and loki, especially).

Edited by Llyssa

In one of my very early threads

I proposed more ciphers for diversity, as well as adding different types of ciphers that would activate/deactivate various things.

Some of which are:

Pathfinding Ciphers: Offer new paths such as shortcuts or vantage points

Cargo Holds: Offer multiple resources mainly, as well as a small chance for rare mods.

Armories: Offer LOTS of affinity orbs as well as rare resources and weapon/warframe blueprints, maybe along with an ammo cache as well? :p

• 3 weeks later...

Many, if not all of, the secret rooms in the Orokin levels have 'special' containers that have a chance to drop mods. I can only speak for the secret ares I put in, but I put a few of these in each area. We are currently working on putting these types in the other environments, so that rewards are better in the areas that are trickier to get to.

Mitch

I'm one kind of tenno that love exploring tiles, trying to find those "secret little rooms" full of containers/crates.

I dont know if i found them all, but i really enjoy spending hours in corpus and grineer ships, corpus and grineer base, old the non-void and derelict tiles ... looking to the ceilings, trying impossible wallruns to reach this little place i noticed earlier.

i dont do that with nova, tp is for lazy. I dont use loki switch, because it's too easy.

And because i must be able to explain my mates how to reach the spot!

So, yes, this is my enjoyment ...

But, it's not rewarding ... not enough.

Those secret rooms should have special crates and containers, that could have greater chance to be opened, to start with ...

Reaching this impossible place to see 3 locked containers, and have master thief keep all them locked is not that fun ^^'

Then, there could be some kind of "better rewards" you see? Better chance for ressource drops. Better ressources drop! And, maybe, why not adding mods as a reward? as it is in void?

Edit: stupid me! didnt see Mitch had given an answer! And what an answer!!

Yay, million THANKS Mitch, icant wait for that! :)

To level designers: yep, i enjoy after each update re-exploring old tilesets, looking for possible rooms modifications. If i find a new one, or an old one that look different, then yes i'll spend 20 minutes exploring it. i love that!

Thank you for that ;)

Edited by Tazmanyak

I feel as though each mission has the same design, I kind of want to experience a change in scenery instead of going into the same room or area over again. I noticed this as I was playing boss runs and as I was running past and killing stuff, the walls and doors looked familiar almost like I ran around in a circle but with different items. I'm not complaining about the level but maybe perhaps put a room thats different than the rest? I mean its kinda gray and dull (just my opinion).

I feel as though each mission has the same design, I kind of want to experience a change in scenery instead of going into the same room or area over again. I noticed this as I was playing boss runs and as I was running past and killing stuff, the walls and doors looked familiar almost like I ran around in a circle but with different items. I'm not complaining about the level but maybe perhaps put a room thats different than the rest? I mean its kinda gray and dull (just my opinion).

By now there's enough places for every environment to randomly generate a huge level without repeating the same scenery twice, not to mention twice in a row which happens on daily basis.