Jade Shadows: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

unrealistically slow download speed. what can we do on our end?

Soy77

Question

there are times when i have absolutely no problem with updates. everything was smooth and fast.
but last couple of updates was really slow. i even had the launcher stuck on "checking new contents" forever.
i've checked and unchecked bulk and aggresive download boxes, verifying cache, turning off my windows security firewall, on top of the traditional stuff like turning off everything else and make sure nobody are using the internet in my house. those things got me through last couple of updates, sometimes they still took pretty long (3 - 5 hours), but i managed to download them anyway so i always let it slip

i know a lot of people are probably crowding the servers because of the new update, and all those good stuff about traffic got bottlenecked.
but this update has gone as low as 1 BYTE, not mb, not kb, but byte. and it's just ridiculous. who works with bytes in 2021??
i can tell that i have no problem playing and downloading various other games. my family regularly watch shows in 4k. my kid can download mobile games in seconds. i haven't bothered to do speedtest because i know the result is most probably going to be fine.

i've seen couple of similar threads like this, but none have clear answer.
i'm not looking forward to do this every updates. especially considering how hotfix happy warframe is. and apparently asking DE for a solution rarely yields result.
what can i do to fix it, guys?

*i'm not on steam, i use the warframe launcher from their site.

5 answers to this question

Most likely in your end, today I've left downloading the update when I was going to take a sh*t, came back and it was already downloaded, I was really surprised. I've downloaed it like 50 mins later after they released it (based on the forum thread time).

My Warframe launcher downloads at 1kbps until the update reaches 10%, then it slowly ramps up to my actual line speed.  It does this irrespective of the size of the update and my line usage.  Never been able to figure out why, but it's either got to be the launcher or server.  No other game/stream suffers like this on my internet.
I've tried verifying, reinstalling, switching over to an SSD, via wifi, via lan cable, via mobile hotspot.  Nothing changes.    

200.gif

Where (in the world) are you?  I am in East Asia, and while download was slow today (took about an hour), it was also 11:30pm on a Friday night when it dropped so it's understandable that the CDNs would get a bit bogged down.  You might have to figure out which download server you are connecting to, and let DE know so they can let their CDN know to allocate more bandwidth?

2 hours ago, MqToasty said:

Where (in the world) are you?  I am in East Asia, and while download was slow today (took about an hour), it was also 11:30pm on a Friday night when it dropped so it's understandable that the CDNs would get a bit bogged down.  You might have to figure out which download server you are connecting to, and let DE know so they can let their CDN know to allocate more bandwidth?

I'm in south east asia, mate. It's about 5 hours now and I'm still not playing warframe.

A friend of mine on same country with worse connection has finished his download hours ago. So i really don't know what to make of this...

Archived