Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Is this optimization?

-Krism-

1 hour ago, veloSylraptor said:

Well, if we go with the assumption that the area is actually loaded and its not just a minimap bug (and that the loaded area is also intentional and not a bug):

When we ask "is it optimized?" we should also be clear what is it optimized for.

For example, if somehow the end result of loading unused areas has no noticeable impact on CPU and RAM consumption, but gives us the flexibility of using a much less taxing algorithm for the procedural generation. We might decide its worth sacrificing some tiny amount of CPU and RAM during gameplay to get a much faster loading time.

Of course this is all speculation, since (I don't think) we have access to the programming so we can't tell for sure. But when we're wondering whether or not a system is "optimized," its worth thinking about what specifically is it optimized for. What is the main performance priority of the system, and what is worth sacrificing to get that.

This is actually a VERY educated answer. Considering how small the CPU/RAM load of map data is when all of the sounds/textures for said map are already being used, it could be considered as a reduction in complexity, since various missions with fixed layouts can use the same predesigned map instead of having various maps to index in the game engine.

This is ofc assuming that it loads maps on the fashion of UE2, 2.5 and 3 (evolution engine have its roots on UE2.5 if I remember the engine history right)

1 hour ago, KittySkin said:

This is ofc assuming that it loads maps on the fashion of UE2, 2.5 and 3 (evolution engine have its roots on UE2.5 if I remember the engine history right)

Evolution is a brand new engine from scratch. DE Steve said that in one of the interviews, maybe it was from Noclip? I forgot, but he said it was a very risky move at the time and they took it.

If DE somehow built Evo Engine from the remains of UE 2.5, at this point in the present will be so heavily modified the traces of UE 2.5 is probably gone at this point. Remember, DE constantly update and rework the engine.

7 hours ago, DrivaMain said:

Evolution is a brand new engine from scratch. DE Steve said that in one of the interviews, maybe it was from Noclip? I forgot, but he said it was a very risky move at the time and they took it.

If DE somehow built Evo Engine from the remains of UE 2.5, at this point in the present will be so heavily modified the traces of UE 2.5 is probably gone at this point. Remember, DE constantly update and rework the engine.

You can built a new engine while reusing code from previous work, in fact UE4 have code from UE1 (the instancing manager used on the DX11 renderer), an engine its a toolset, so they could do a new engine while reusing previous work too, Dark Sector used Evolution too.

Still its incredible how much the engine evolved, from DX9 and a forward renderer to DX12 and a deferred renderer its a very big change, and doing that while keeping compatibility with an already prebuilt project (warframe) its short of a miracle. I have some mad respect for this.

On 2021-05-30 at 9:11 AM, (PSN)robotwars7 said:

having a ton of stuff loading at once would explain why my old PS4 would start doing an impression of a 747 revving it's nuts off whenever I ran a mission on Earth.

PS5 handles it nicely though... you guys should try it sometime!

Pleasure GIFs | Tenor

Know what handles it even better? 

A PC 😛

Archived