Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Introducing The Fan Merchandise Policy

[DE]CoreyOnline

Fan-Merchandise-Policy-Preview.png

Hi Tenno,

Artistic fans will often ask us if it's okay to create and sell merchandise based on Warframe. The short answer is generally yes, but there are a handful of specific exceptions. To ensure that artists can have a great experience creating and selling their Warframe inspired art with as little friction as possible, we've created some guidelines. 

The full policy can be found here: http://wrfr.me/fanmerch

The Fan Merchandise Policy touches on specific scenarios and art forms, with examples that revolve around common creations such as 3D prints, t-shirts, stickers, pins & prints, digital commissions and more. In the vast majority of cases, you do not need Digital Extremes' express permission to create and sell your own work.

Some things that would be considered objectionable (as outlined in the policy) would include mass production of your items, using art pulled directly from the game, or using Digital Extremes' staff / developers in for-sale art without their express, prior consent. 

We hope these guidelines will be helpful in clarifying for artists interested in exploring the world of Warframe through their art! This policy will be made available in additional languages in the coming weeks, so stay tuned for a fully localized version of the policy! 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

@[DE]CoreyOnline Hey Corey!

2 questions!

1) Question about the logo and other sigil designs: The policy basically wants us to not just vector-trace the classic 'Lotus' symbol (without the 'WARFRAME' text) and slap it on stuff, handmade or not-- this also applies to syndicate sigils and stuff too, correct?

Does this also apply to transformed/altered/embellished versions of the Lotus symbol & other sigils in-game?

For example, if I were to embellish the 'Lotus' symbol (think similar to the TennoCon or update patch embellishments, but my own design), is this something I could make a screen of for screen printed merchandise (that I screen-print myself), or etch on to leather wristbands, etc?

If it's a case-by-case basis (as in, you need to see a given design to say whether it's changed enough to be a derivative work and not a copy), is there somewhere you might have us send the specific proposed design to for a yes/no if it's unclear if it's altered or not?

2) re: Print production-- although we can't use sites like InPRNT to manage the printing and sale of prints (AKA, using their storefront), do you have restrictions on what printing services we can use to order our own prints for sale? I know we want limited numbers, sales/shipping handled personally by artist, but what about websites that allow you to make a listing private so only you can see it & make your own orders (AKA, no public storefront availability, but allows the artist to order prints of their own work for sale).

I ask mainly because this allows me better quality control if I know the print quality and capabilities already and don't have to order prints from a new vendor than the one I already use for my other work.

Thank you in advance for answers!

Kindest regards,

shadrad

Archived