Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Is Chromatic Blade really worth it?

BahamutKaiser

Question

So this might sound stupid from a Rank L1, but I was wondering if there is a way to make Exalted Blade competitive with Chromatic Blade, at end game. Chromatic Blade increases status chance and adds an element to the weapon, but it removes IPS from the weapon and cost you a mod slot.

Currently I'm trying Arcane Avenger and Strike, with Primary and Secondary Dexterity, and Naramon school, all schools maxed and unbound. I also have a magnetic nukor set to viral heat along with it's native radiation... I also have the three gladiator mods on my normal weapon and Xata's Whisper for another status.

I've been using Chromatic Blade with Corrosive Cold since before I can remember, like right when I started playing. But this far in, I'm wondering if having that last slot on my Warframe has more value than 80% status chance and 30% more elemental damage... I'm even wondering if I can get away with removing Condition Overload from the weapon, since I'm not removing the umbral polarities and mods from the weapon, and I could instead have another modifier like Shattering Impact to increase diversity.

That last part seems unlikely, but I figured if I have regular Exalted Blade with CO and save the Warframe slot, I can always prime my targets with Kuva Nukor if they don't want to bow down instantly...

Wat Dew?

19 answers to this question

44 minutes ago, BahamutKaiser said:

I'm probably overthinking it though...

generally, yes. both with and without can be competent enough to Kill Enemies that you're going to face on a regular basis.
between IPS weighting being reduced and the mechanics of Damage, Chromatic Blade is leagues ahead of not. but if you don't need or want to use Excalibur in ""endgame""" content or Endurance Missions, then you won't even really notice the difference, and you can do whatever you want.

as just previously mentioned though, it also depends on where you're trying to save Mod Slots. Chromatic Blade means one extra Warframe Mod used, but can save you several Mods on the Weapon.

that being said, i will qualify that my views of Exalted Blade come from an angle of always using it at somewhere around 280-290% Strength. and so in addition to the obvious Damage ramifications, means that Chromatic Blade for me averages something like 150% Status Chance.

23 hours ago, BahamutKaiser said:

I have a magnetic, radiation, viral, heat Kuva Nukor, so all factions evaporate. Corrossive, cold are the classic coverage elements, and everything dies to the dominance of melee already, but if I want to stack 5 more status to the 3 in already applying, Nukor will cover everything. Microwave and void included. 

I see so you would like to be able to apply IPS as well. If that's what you want then go for it. It's certainly doable.

My favorite all around combination for exalted blade is viral, heat and void. But I actually kind of like yours corrosive, cold and void. I have to give it a shot.

On 2021-11-24 at 10:22 AM, SpaceWolf87 said:

Just wondering do you want to run multiple setups against each enemy fraction with different emission colors etc or are you trying to build ultimate all-rounder?

I have a magnetic, radiation, viral, heat Kuva Nukor, so all factions evaporate. Corrossive, cold are the classic coverage elements, and everything dies to the dominance of melee already, but if I want to stack 5 more status to the 3 in already applying, Nukor will cover everything. Microwave and void included. 

7 hours ago, Zakkhar said:

Tox for corpus? Index? Like I said i dont use anything other than Heat blade so i have no idea.

i guess Toxin would be better against normal Corpus until they out level the Damage Toxin can offer. Spiders, Index, or whatever other Armored Corpus will be much weaker to Fire.
and just any and all Enemies that have out leveled the momentary DPS of Exalted Blade.

On 2021-11-24 at 1:22 PM, SpaceWolf87 said:

Just wondering do you want to run multiple setups against each enemy fraction with different emission colors etc or are you trying to build ultimate all-rounder?

not even necessary anyways, Chromatic Blade with Fire is better than any other type of Chromatic Blade.

On 2021-11-24 at 7:22 PM, SpaceWolf87 said:

Multisetups will be pain because most likely you have to change both loudout and energy color.

Just pick one faction and use Excal Blade for it, and for other faction use normal eapons or diferent frame.

I run Deimos bounties/vaults with mine. Corrrosive/Heat (heat blade). And barely use him for anything else.

The IPS is an improvement, it's mostly slash, or it would be a great improvement. A CO build want's more status types for more additive damage, the virtue of Chromatic Blade is how quickly it gets status on there, the shortcoming is that it subtracts two statuses and replaces one... almost no element is as potent as slash procs as well...

I guess the real question is, can an extra warframe slot surpass CO if you have a primer... But, I'll just test myself. Magnetic Kuva Nukor dumps an obnoxious amount of stats, I might even run something obnoxious on it like Corrosive Blast, than simply Viral IPS on Exalted Blade. But thanks everyone for the feedback.

Thanks guys, I was thinking that the extra status actually wasn't that useful, with Berserker and Arcane Strike as well as the blade and wave applying status, I'm hitting so many times that status will apply anyway, and even though I won't get many impact or piercing procs on attacks, exchanging IPS for one element reduces the number of statuses I can potentially apply. As far as I know, no element is as good as slash. The worst part is that using Primed Fever is going to make most of my attacks proc viral or corrosive.

The speed at which I can stack status with Chromatic blade is still valuable, since adding Xata's whisper will allow for 4 statuses, potentially 5 with the guaranteed impact from his first combo, so CO will have plenty of status to reap, but I also noticed that most foes die in one hit... unless I come against something beefy, and I've had problems with Sisters and Liches which resist a cardinal element I'm running.

Ultimately I'm not even needing Excal to do much, since I pretty much only pull him out for Kuva Siphons, but I'd like something that can walk a few minutes of Steel Path without feeling like I could be enjoying a few stretched dashes or better energy economy if I just dropped Blade. I'm probably overthinking it though...

Chromatic blade tends to give better returns (for the mod cost) , you can perform equally well with a more niche or expensive build but it will be situational and need more cost in both the blade itself as well as the frame.

You may lose on slash DOT but you get much more persistent status and damage.

55 minutes ago, Uhkretor said:

I don't think its wrong to offer an opinion should someone ask for it, which is what I got from the Opening Post, but somehow you're showing pretty much any reader that my opinions shouldn't even appear anywhere, less alone considered by others, because my imperfect knowledge is being collected without any assistance. And apparently, by your standards, my opinions should be censored...

what can you expect in return, when your attitude is pretty similar, in every Thread on this Forum. also makes it hard to separate things you say when the two options are either "opinions on being effective enough", or, some sort of "i have secret knowledge, do only as i say".
they end up looking the same.

16 minutes ago, taiiat said:

major knowledge gaps

You probably missed the part that - - the whole thing.

I don't think its wrong to offer an opinion should someone ask for it, which is what I got from the Opening Post, but somehow you're showing pretty much any reader that my opinions shouldn't even appear anywhere, less alone considered by others, because my imperfect knowledge is being collected without any assistance. And apparently, by your standards, my opinions should be censored...

... This is starting to be borderline harassment...

My knowledge isn't perfect, but at least I don't depend on others to find it... Like some players did the same as me, before.

... And no, asking for an opinion isn't depending on others for info. The thread's author has the knowledge and a baseline to start from, so he doesn't need info, he asked for an opinion... Knowing absolutely nothing and asking for said info IS depending on others to find said info...

And, you don't know if the Author's actually wants his flexibility isolated from Emissive color, which seems to be the purpose of his question... And you don't even know what kind of player he is, or I am, based on builds and preferences... so~... Take a few steps back, and read it again... Nope, this isn't a Warframe.Market "read the instructions again" thing... Its a "read my post again and try to spot the things you've missed instead of acting enlightened." because that, unfortunately, you're not. Even with the knowledge you claim to have, yours is still as imperfect as mine...

2 minutes ago, Uhkretor said:

-snip-

i only don't appreciate acting like you have a high horse to sit on while at the same time showing that you have major knowledge gaps. everyone doesn't know everything, but that's only a problem when people falsely act like they do.

1 hour ago, taiiat said:

and yet you have such strong language to use against everyone on this Forum? Chromatic Blade vastly outperforms the normal usage of Exalted Blade, by, frankly, Light Years.
but like i said, Exalted Blade can perform well without it, too.
if you don't know that, you probably shouldn't make such strong statements.

My "Nope" was too strong?

... Maybe I should've used a "Nope" gif... Some people have a hard time dealing with single words coming from me, apparently, and they're not even the thread's author...

5 hours ago, Uhkretor said:

Nope.

and yet you have such strong language to use against everyone on this Forum? Chromatic Blade vastly outperforms the normal usage of Exalted Blade, by, frankly, Light Years.
but like i said, Exalted Blade can perform well without it, too.
if you don't know that, you probably shouldn't make such strong statements.

1 hour ago, BahamutKaiser said:

Is Chromatic Blade really worth it?

Nope.

I'm even wondering if I can get away with removing Condition Overload from the weapon

... I'm not using that and it shreds through Steel Path missions...

I could instead have another modifier

Yes, you could...

if I have regular Exalted Blade with CO and save the Warframe slot, I can always prime my targets with Kuva Nukor if they don't want to bow down instantly...

... But that also works... I probably would've released it from CO, but that's me. If you feel, and witness, that the CO bonus (which has diminishing returns), gives you more damage than using the proper elemental damages to counter factions, its your choice there...

And no, despite what is being spread around, the "true" damage (Its actually Finisher Damage that isn't affected by finisher damage mods) of Bleeding DoT isn't Anti-Faction, its an armor bypass like Toxin is a shield bypass...

I don't know, but I don't think you need anyone's opinion on the matter. It feels like you pretty much answered yourself and its you that's going to be using Umbra, not someone else... Good luck on your build review.

yes and no. 

the Element and much higher Status is generally an improvement. but yes, do you lose Slash Status.
that's okay though, you don't need the Slash Status.

remember too, that Chromatic Blade scales with Strength. so you're often have approaching 100% Status, letting you stack Status Effects exceptionally well.
and in addition to those Status Effects is you could potentially save a Mod Slot on Exalted Blade, and let's not forget that Elemental Damage has higher Health Type modifiers on Enemies than IPS does.

but, you can make Exalted Blade viable without Chromatic Blade, if you so desire.

Archived