Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

PC Controller, Please unlock Context/Reload

Wiergate

The issue is simple: with a controller while on PC, a Context action has to be bound. There isn't really a place for it which the game allows except Square/X which is also the default Reload key. 
If you then toggle 'Context action includes reload' to off, you simply cannot reload. Hence, that option has to be on meaning there is no option.

Try an Eidolon hunt like this, with Volt's shields getting picked up from 7 meters away and lures ordered to follow or hold position from 10 meters away every single time you try to reload. The 'active' area for a context action in the Plains is absurdly large which swamps the player with unintended and unwanted actions. It's utter misery.
I haven't done any hunting for ages and clearly things changed when context actions were last altered.  

Meanwhile, the DS4's Share button and touch pad can't be assigned to anything at all, with the Share button being hard-bound to the map. Please unlock both or either of these and let the player choose what is more important to them or even consider a mode shift key, perhaps specific to open worlds which is the only place the map is useful anyway.

Steam's controller config is getting there but still not good enough to be relied on.  
Controllers suck and we're all trying to do the best with what we have - in this case I think more options for the player is a better solution than hard-coded keys.  

50 minutes ago, Wiergate said:

The 'active' area for a context action in the Plains is absurdly large which swamps the player with unintended and unwanted actions. It's utter misery.

How did you manage to do this? Maybe it’s a controller type issue. I use an XB1 controller and cannot say I have ever had this problem. I have tried official and aftermarket licensed controllers with no issues.

Thats not to say I disagree with your point. Far too many control options are locked certain ways, with too many restrictions. I do think we need more freedom to set our controls how we actually want them.

12 hours ago, krc473 said:

How did you manage to do this? Maybe it’s a controller type issue.

I don't really see how the controller type could affect it but I guess there's no point ruling anything out. 
In my experience context actions have gotten better in most tilesets and we no longer get teleported onto traversal wires or hacking consoles, for instance. During this quick hunt I got a sharp reminder of how obnoxious that used to be since I'm convinced nothing has been changed WRT the active radius of several context actions there. 

It's also quite likely I haven't played any Volt at all since last I hunted maybe two years ago; then I could have separate bindings for reloading and picking up my shield which I can't now. That can hopefully be improved with a bit of practice but I'd much rather not have the problem to begin with. 

Naturally there are more of those context actions in a solo hunt with Volt specifically since you're constantly managing your shields, transference and the blasted lures (that still have garbage pathing and frequently bug out entirely) but that only reinforces the point IMO. 

On 2021-10-17 at 9:41 PM, krc473 said:

How did you manage to do this? Maybe it’s a controller type issue. I use an XB1 controller and cannot say I have ever had this problem. I have tried official and aftermarket licensed controllers with no issues.

Happens to me too....

But in my case it's with my Specters or Any AI Companions.... Since Reload and Interact are on the same button and since the AI follows me around everywhere I'm always accidentally telling them to "Hold Position" everytime I reload...

It's the same problem with Rescue missions and Sortie Defense.... Press Reload and that bastard takes your Secondary Weapon. 😱

21 hours ago, Lutesque said:

It's the same problem with Rescue missions and Sortie Defense.... Press Reload and that bastard takes your Secondary Weapon. 😱

IKR? Greedy bloody loot ninjas...

I always ditch AI companions at spawn, but during a rescue or defense I just resign myself to not having a secondary.

In reply to @NightmareT12 yes, you can separate reload and context action provided you're willing to give up something else. Strangely enough, reload can be left unassigned without the game protesting unlike a number of other functions.
This isn't aimed at you of course, but being able to choose what to give up is essentially what I'm asking for. 
I have my powers bound to the D-pad since it's marginally less atrocious than the power wheel, and I used to reserve R Stick press for my first power since that often has to be aimed. This left one D-Pad open as a context action. Now that's not an option unless I want to give up the heavy melee attack. In the past this wasn't an issue since it was garbage, but these days we can build for it.

That in itself is great but it makes it even more difficult to get a layout that's both familiar and comfortable; hence the plea to not have several buttons hard-coded to functions that are frequently useless. I've been playing this game 5-6 years and after all that time I wish DE would trust in my ability to configure my own controls.

Archived