Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

The early game

Hokkis31

I want to prefix that I love Warframe dearly. I started a little after Chroma entered the fray. I love the lore and the gameplay! Your game is fantastic! <3

I do however believe that the early-game is in a very poor state. The gameplay is good, but there is so little direction for a new player. They have no idea what to do. And there is little to no story at the beginning. So a new player will ask themselves "Why?" This, in addition with the lack of direction (when not familiar with the game), is a very big quit-moment for a lot of people. I am way past the early-game, of course. So this no longer affects me. But it did! I'm part of the minority who continued. And it would be awesome if a higher percentage of people who tried the game stayed!

If you haven't already, I'd strongly advise you to take a look at Josh Strife Hayes video "Worst MMO Ever? - Warframe". This is a catchy title, and in the video he says that the title does not mean that the game is bad! He also praises the game. He gives very, very valid critique on the state of the early-game. Perhaps you could also watch Brozime's video where he reacts to Josh Strife Hayes. In my opinion, you should take his words into consideration! He is by no means a "hater" or anything of the like. He gives a very solid critique.

Thank you for your time!

he makes good point in his first video, and surprisingly DE might have actually watched that and in previous devstream they did mention there will be a permanent notification for new players indicating them what to do next. so they would have a goal to work for.

now about his second video "100 hours later it gets good" in that video he completely misses the point, i can see that he only used Excalibur in his entire playthrough which is really bad if you are trying to review warframe. we have 40+ frames now and that add's upto the fun. like playing with just one frame usually gets boring and some new player might think there is nothing to do. but the moment you try different frames you can enjoy those old missions again with new set of powers/abilities. 

as someone said, it's a clickbait for warframe players.. it provides nothing useful that we didnt knew already.

TaricTheAncient, that's very understandable xD. Nice policy

Dauggie. Yeah, I get that. but it isn't very clear to a new player how to aquire new frames etc. It's also very important to note that the second video wasn't about Warframe specifically. It was the "100 hour" argument in general. The reason Warframe was in the background was probably because a lot of people used that argument in his first video's comments. And the main point is that the average player spends 2 hours to see if they like the game. And to make a new frame it could take upwards of 5, and perhaps 10 hours to figure that stuff out (without guidance, mind you). And I agree. Being able to switch up your set of tools makes the replayability of missions much better. The mid/late game is quite good indeed. But you don't have that variety in the early-game. So earlier story-hooks and a more structured path would be beneficial for a new player. The first major story-hook is in the Second Dream, which is waay later, you know.

I don't quite remember how long it took me. But my first frame (aside from Excalibur) was Nyx. I didn't know how to get other frames. I just happend to fight Phorid a few times because I found one particular mission fun, and ended up with all her parts. Important note is that I was also a few years younger, and didn't have any "Gamer-intuituon" or whatnot xD. I fell for the game, though. And Nyx is my favorite frame, because she's my first frame :D (not because she's any good xD). Anyway. I found out that you can farm for frames by killing bosses (didn't know Phorid was a boss until later). In the beginning I thought you only aquired new frames by purchasing them with platinum. I was very wrong, of course, but that's what I believed at the time.

Goodness me. This turned into a nostalgia trip for me. I'll go play some Nyx now xD

Honestly Warframe's early game used to present significant challenge, and I really enjoyed it. I remember having to worry about ammo consumption and believe it or not, my HP. Not sure if it's like that anymore its been about 8 years since i was new.

32 minutes ago, Skaleek said:

Not sure if it's like that anymore its been about 8 years since i was new.

Its still like that, perhaps even more now than before... The only difference between now and then is the amount of GPS-Dependent snowflakes.

49 minutes ago, Skaleek said:

Honestly Warframe's early game used to present significant challenge, and I really enjoyed it. I remember having to worry about ammo consumption and believe it or not, my HP. Not sure if it's like that anymore its been about 8 years since i was new.

A lot of maps and enemies weren't designed with unlimited stamina in mind which is why so many new missions are mobile defense reskins.

Warframe now is just bullet jumping simulator towards extraction.

Archived