Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Stalker might be playable in The New War.

KnossosTNC

9 hours ago, (PSN)Silverback73 said:

Stalker’s Origin Story as playable would be awesome…though he might just be your Monstrous ID given life through Dreamsleep…

…meaning he is all your compartmentalized hate, dread, and despair given weaponized life through a rogue Warframe.

Do you Understand that I am saying he is YOU?  The damaged, subconscious part of you that resents what becoming a Warframe Operator has done to you?

Why do your powers not work on him?  How does he always find you?

Why does he hate and destroy your Warframes but hesitates to kill you in The Second Dream as both you and Stalker stare at your hands in exactly the same way?

It’s a far superior story to some Dax that tried transference and wandered around pissed off at “the ceremonial betrayal” for centuries.

We will see.

You're mixing theories. Id is Freud, the Shadow is Jung. Moreover, Stalker doesn't fit well into either.

The Id is (according to Freud) the part of the consciousness that is primal and instinctual, driven by selfish desire and immediate reward. Stalker is interested in Justice, however perverse, which is more a Superego thing. The Id isn't Hatred, Dread and Despair, especially not for oneself. It is, in fact, quite the opposite, soley interested in making the self feel as good as possible. It may lead to these emotions, but so can the Superego.

The Shadow is the part of the personality that a person hides from the world, which typically (but not always) includes the Id but is not exclusive to it. If the Stalker is our Shadow... why does he take the form of our Persona - the Warframes? The Persona, after all, is the polar opposite of the Shadow. Moreover, as stated, the Stalker is obsessed with justice, which could be our hidden guilt made manifest, but he doesn't come after the Tenno for every random grunt we kill, for every mistake we make or so forth. He does, however, come after use when we take down depraved tyrants and mindless monsters. He also teams with the Sentients, and we've received no indication at all that the Tenno have any positive feelings towards the likes of Hunhow, suppressed or otherwise. If he's our Shadow, he wouldn't get any independent thought or will.

(it's worth noting neither theory is used in modern psychology, but I'll fully grant that 'the shadow' and 'the id' are far more compelling for themes than Cognitive Behavioural Therapy, unless your game's name is Psychonauts.)

I'm aware that my current hypothesis is looking less likely than it did before, but I would still like it if someday there is a chance to find and rescue the traumatized and self loathing Operator of the Stalker. Rip open their transference pod, wake them up, and tell them that everything is going to be ok.

8 hours ago, o0Despair0o said:

I think you're setting yourself up for a big ol' dose of disappointment.

Eh. No harm in a bit of fun speculation. Plus, I get over things fast. "Initiatory Nihilism" has long been a useful philosophical starting point for me.

Archived