Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Optional New Game Mechanic

(PSN)MYKK678

Was thinking recently about a possible gap in the Warframe gameplay options and thought i'd post it for input/ideas.

This gap originated from an extremely unlikely source: Metal Gear Solid 3

To explain, MGS3 had this really cool optional mechanic built into it whereby you can Sabotage the enemy soldiers. The easiest example of this to explain is how in certain areas of the game, there are Food Stores, basically small rooms where you could pick up Rations and Noodles etc (Health Items). If you decided to blow up these Food Stores, leave the area, and return, the soldiers would be starving. You could literally hear their stomachs rumble and because they were starved their reactions would be much slower and their aim off. It was never something you "had to do" but was a fun mechanic nonetheless. MGS5 incorporated a reverse version of this whereby if you shot too many enemies in the head, HQ would issue soldiers with Helmets and you'd have to take out the factory the Helmets were being manufacturered in to reverse this.

Anyway, I wasn't thinking of a 1:1 replica of this system as I doubt any of us want to know what Grineer eats, never mind Infested.

The idea is not about food or depriving enemies of it, but its about Annoying enemies/ their enhancements. Nullifyer Backpacks, Infested Mutalist Ospreys, Eximus Power Drain Units etc. There are often times when certain enemy types put a sudden stop to a great killing streak, a focus farm or an all-stealth run, depending on how you prefer playing. Got me thinking about an option to fix that. Heres how the idea works:

- Railjack Missions usually have optional Side Missions already

- DE picks out a few different Missions and adds an Optional Side Boss/Lich Level Enemy to Kill on one of these Optional Mission Ships

- Has to be evenly distributed so lets say 2 Missions for each (Grineer, Corpus, Infested, Corrupted, Sentient), may require a few Planets to be added

- The Missions would be chosen based on which Missions are failed by new players the most. This encourages people to help out on Missions new players are having the most difficulty with. Such as Defense.

- Once the Optional boss is downed, you still need to finish the full Railjack Mission for the system to take effect. No jumping out as soon as its done leaving new players to face the main objective alone.

- When the full Mission is completed, it gives you 48-72 hours of No Nullifyers/ No Mutalist Ospreys/ No Power Drain Eximus etc etc depending on which factions Optional Boss you just beat

- For a Lore/Story connection, for normal Enemy Factions you're basically going off to assassinate the Person/Being responsible for either issuing the Tech/Enhancements or building them, and for Infested you're assassinating the Infested Being responsible for directly infecting Ospreys.

Keep in mind that this is meant as an optional addition. It should never become something that you "have to do". But for some players it may renew interest in Railjack Missions, help new players catch up whilst benefiting the person helping, help to increase Resources gathered from Railjack Missions themselves, potentially make Lich/Sister hunts easier for those struggling with less annoying enemies around, improve focus farms, help to naturally gain Railjack Intrinsics, and maybe just alleviate some frustration with certain missions given how you now have an option of control.

Thoughts?

20 minutes ago, (PSN)MYKK678 said:

But for some players it may renew interest in Railjack Missions, help new players catch up whilst benefiting the person helping, help to increase Resources gathered from Railjack Missions themselves, potentially make Lich/Sister hunts easier for those struggling with less annoying enemies around, improve focus farms, help to naturally gain Railjack Intrinsics, and maybe just alleviate some frustration with certain missions given how you now have an option of control.

I am confused. You keep talking about new players, but also how your idea will take place in RJ. It just doesn’t make sense to me. I just don’t see the point in the whole system, I am not sure it adds something of value. Perhaps because I have not played the game you are taking the idea from I have trouble with it.

23 minutes ago, krc473 said:

I am confused. You keep talking about new players, but also how your idea will take place in RJ. It just doesn’t make sense to me. I just don’t see the point in the whole system, I am not sure it adds something of value. Perhaps because I have not played the game you are taking the idea from I have trouble with it.

New players to Railjack, not Day 1 players

39 minutes ago, krc473 said:

Actually i suppose a specific example would be more helpful if its confusing.

So lets say you want to farm a Corpus Mission, could be for a resource or for Focus or for a mod. You have your reason to farm it regardless. Problem is the Nullifiers are slowing you down, ruining Focus bonuses or even getting you killed. Right now theres not much you can do but grind your teeth and deal with it, swap to "Meta Weapons" you dont even want/like to use just to bypass the Nullifiers. Sucks any fun outta it.

This system would give you a 48-72 hour window where Nullifiers no longer show up in any normal Corpus Missions.

You hop in your Railjack, go to 1 of 2 specific Missions, go to one of the Optional Mission Ships/Asteroids, do the normal Optional Mission but now theres a Boss that teleports in that you can either fight or just leave there. If you beat this Optional Boss and finish the full Railjack Mission, for 48-72 hours you'll no longer run into Nullifiers in any Main Missions (Except Sortie/Sanctuary). So now you go back to the original mission you were farming resources/Focus/mods from, and there are no Nullifiers. Essentially by killing the Optional Boss, you disrupted the manufacturing of Nullifier Backpacks for 48-72 hours, so no Corpus Soldiers have them.

2 hours ago, Kaggelos said:

Really interesting idea ^^

Thanks. I just thought it might be a good reason for players to return to Railjack missions. If you look at Railjack right now theres only really 3 reasons to go back:

- Railjack Resources (Rarely)

- Shedu Parts from Veil (Until its built)

- To have the final fight with a Lich/Sister (Unless you dont like that system/feature)

Versions of the systems needed to implement something like this already exists too. For the Optional Boss Teleportation theres the system that Teleports Lich/Sisters into missions already. For the removal of Eximus/Nullifiers/Mut Ospreys theres the system that Increases Eximus units in Sorties so perhaps that could be used in reverse.

Dont get me wrong though, i'm not arrogant enough to think this is a perfect idea so if you've any suggestions / additions / subtractions post them below. After posting it I started thinking that 48-72 hours was way too long. Maybe it should be anywhere between 5 hours - 12 hours instead.

Archived