Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Tenno/Orokin styled Katana Skin

Hello all! Looking to get some feedback on a katana skin I'm working on. I'm trying to go for an orokin/tenno styled design:

Rough sketch I started with:
vYs8agc.png

High poly/ rough mockup:

0ePluU8.png

Things I'm still working on:

- Planning out finer details, primarily on the hilt and handle
- Emissives
- Sheath design
- Name

Looking for any thoughts on the design, particularly with matching the aesthetics, or any pitfalls to avoid. I've worked quite a bit with the Planetside 2 player studio program, but this is my first time trying out Warframe, so I'm looking to get a feel for good workflows and designs.

Well, you've kind have already gotten into a pitfall in regards to the main faction, that being Orokin as its not allowed through use in TennoGen. Most I can recommend is trying to alter the design towards a more general / Tenno aesthetic, might be difficult with some of the design choices, but I wouldn't really know how to do so myself. 

1 hour ago, Scruffel said:

Well, you've kind have already gotten into a pitfall in regards to the main faction, that being Orokin as its not allowed through use in TennoGen. Most I can recommend is trying to alter the design towards a more general / Tenno aesthetic, might be difficult with some of the design choices, but I wouldn't really know how to do so myself. 

Oh shoot. I saw it missing on the design language docs, that should have been a clue... Hmm. I'll have to do some thinking about how to get the design a bit closer to a different faction then.

It looks like Obsidian slabs held together with gold.

Maybe the name could be Yōgan (japanese for lava), that's what it reminds me of when i look at it. (though obviously obsidian and gold wouldn't make for good sword crafting materials irl., it would stiill need some in lore explanation on how void energy made this possible)

On 2022-04-08 at 12:37 AM, binarycoder said:

I'll have to do some thinking about how to get the design a bit closer to a different faction then.

Sentient Nikana please.

we've got Grineer, Corpus and Infested skins for Nikanas, and plenty of nice gilded ones for the Orokin look, but a Sentient Nikana with a bright, sleek energy blade and a Sentient bone Scabbard: basically take Broken War and weebify it, or something like a smaller version of Tatsu with an energy blade.. something like that hasn't been done yet as far as I know.

dunno about anyone else but I'd buy a Sentient Skin for my Nikanas, would go great on my Revenant or Electrolyst Volt!

• 2 months later...
On 2022-04-07 at 5:07 PM, binarycoder said:

Hello all! Looking to get some feedback on a katana skin I'm working on. I'm trying to go for an orokin/tenno styled design:

Rough sketch I started with:
vYs8agc.png

High poly/ rough mockup:

0ePluU8.png

Things I'm still working on:

- Planning out finer details, primarily on the hilt and handle
- Emissives
- Sheath design
- Name

Looking for any thoughts on the design, particularly with matching the aesthetics, or any pitfalls to avoid. I've worked quite a bit with the Planetside 2 player studio program, but this is my first time trying out Warframe, so I'm looking to get a feel for good workflows and designs.

About the orokin thing, just color the gold to silver and it should pass as a tenno weapon (it doesn't matter that it won't be gold by default since gold is the most used accent color). As for the emissive, I would put some lights to line the edges where there are those gaps on the blade.

Archived