The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

So about the operators...

10 minutes ago, Numerikuu said:

Care to share? It's something that's been bothering me for ages.

Basically they explain eternalism which says everything and anything exists all at once on 1 timeline. When you make a decision, another version of you makes the opposite choice at the same time. I don't fully understand it myself but the void essentially killed off every version of you that could and couldn't exist, making you into a kind of schrodingers cat i guess. Thats the best way I can explain it, sorry.

5 hours ago, Numerikuu said:

Care to share? It's something that's been bothering me for ages.

The answer is we aren't properly immortal, no. Half the lore of Warframe don't work if Tenno were truly immortal.

5 hours ago, -ODIN-hugeblackdude said:

Basically they explain eternalism which says everything and anything exists all at once on 1 timeline. When you make a decision, another version of you makes the opposite choice at the same time. I don't fully understand it myself but the void essentially killed off every version of you that could and couldn't exist, making you into a kind of schrodingers cat i guess. Thats the best way I can explain it, sorry.

The New War's Eternalism leans very heavy into open ended multiverse theory, which for the record I think is a very bad plot device.  With this explanation, there are a few possibilities to explain what happens when the Operator "dies":

Possibility 1: When the version of the Operator you control dies, another Operator from another universe similar to yours (of which there are an infinite number of) is plucked out of existence and transplanted into yours to replace them.  The dead one is dumped into the other universe, with everyone none the wiser.  This switcheroo is of course made possible through Wally's void powers.

Possibility 2: When the version of the Operator you control dies, that is a failed universe for you, the player.  So you the player is instead shifted into a universe in which the operator survives.  There is no direct link between the two universes for this scenario, even though the New War showed that is clearly possible (via the Drifter).

Personally, I'm leaning towards Possibility 1, given what we were shown in The New War.  I don't like it, but it's DE's story so they get to decide how it goes.

59 minutes ago, MqToasty said:

The New War's Eternalism leans very heavy into open ended multiverse theory, which for the record I think is a very bad plot device.  With this explanation, there are a few possibilities to explain what happens when the Operator "dies":

Possibility 1: When the version of the Operator you control dies, another Operator from another universe similar to yours (of which there are an infinite number of) is plucked out of existence and transplanted into yours to replace them.  The dead one is dumped into the other universe, with everyone none the wiser.  This switcheroo is of course made possible through Wally's void powers.

Possibility 2: When the version of the Operator you control dies, that is a failed universe for you, the player.  So you the player is instead shifted into a universe in which the operator survives.  There is no direct link between the two universes for this scenario, even though the New War showed that is clearly possible (via the Drifter).

Personally, I'm leaning towards Possibility 1, given what we were shown in The New War.  I don't like it, but it's DE's story so they get to decide how it goes.

I'm not sure why and from where you deduced Possibility 1. Why even copy-paste EVERYTHING if you can just shift Operator to near-same universe (Possibility 2)?

2 minutes ago, quxier said:

I'm not sure why and from where you deduced Possibility 1. Why even copy-paste EVERYTHING if you can just shift Operator to near-same universe (Possibility 2)?

Copy and paste everything?  No, please read what I wrote again.  In Possibility 1, only the operators are swapped.  In Possibility 2, it is the player who shifts to observing / playing a different reality.

3 minutes ago, MqToasty said:

Copy and paste everything?  No, please read what I wrote again.  In Possibility 1, only the operators are swapped.  In Possibility 2, it is the player who shifts to observing / playing a different reality.

Ok, that confused me:

1 hour ago, MqToasty said:

The dead one is dumped into the other universe, with everyone none the wiser. 

Thank you for explanations. That makes sense.

I haven't seen the Possibility 1 in any media so I think DE have used Possibility 2. However both make sense.

53 minutes ago, quxier said:

Ok, that confused me:

Thank you for explanations. That makes sense.

I haven't seen the Possibility 1 in any media so I think DE have used Possibility 2. However both make sense.

Ah, I see.  Sorry, I guess I wasn't very clear in that description.  Basically, with Possibility 1, the idea is that the Player is watching a fixed universe.  And whenever your operator dies, Wally does some magic so your operator's dead body is swapped with a living operator from an adjacent universe.  In the adjacent universe (which the player never sees), the operator never makes it and dies.  But in the one that the player is observing and playing in, none of the hits were life-threatening so the operator fights on.

So the difference between the two is if you, the Player, are always observing a single fixed universe, except Wally swaps in surviving operators as necessary.  Or if you, the Player, gets shifted around to observe different universes where the operator survives.  I felt Possibility 1 was a distinct possibility because there was a scene in The New War where we see a row of operators, and each one "dying" slightly differently until the final surviving one shakes the Drifter's hand.  Also, the existence of the Drifter implies some sort of cross-universal movement.  But I agree that as of yet we really have no way of knowing which answer DE has in mind, or if it is something else altogether.

9 hours ago, -ODIN-hugeblackdude said:

I sort of get you, though not sure if that's fully the case. Imo I like MQToasty's take on something similar below though. Thank you btw!

4 hours ago, Atsia said:

The answer is we aren't properly immortal, no. Half the lore of Warframe don't work if Tenno were truly immortal.

That much I know. We saw that first hand after all 😵

31 minutes ago, MqToasty said:

Ah, I see.  Sorry, I guess I wasn't very clear in that description.  Basically, with Possibility 1, the idea is that the Player is watching a fixed universe.  And whenever your operator dies, Wally does some magic so your operator's dead body is swapped with a living operator from an adjacent universe.  In the adjacent universe (which the player never sees), the operator never makes it and dies.  But in the one that the player is observing and playing in, none of the hits were life-threatening so the operator fights on.

So the difference between the two is if you, the Player, are always observing a single fixed universe, except Wally swaps in surviving operators as necessary.  Or if you, the Player, gets shifted around to observe different universes where the operator survives.  I felt Possibility 1 was a distinct possibility because there was a scene in The New War where we see a row of operators, and each one "dying" slightly differently until the final surviving one shakes the Drifter's hand.  Also, the existence of the Drifter implies some sort of cross-universal movement.  But I agree that as of yet we really have no way of knowing which answer DE has in mind, or if it is something else altogether.

This take makes the most sense imo. But yeah, until DE state otherwise it's all speculation. Until then this is the take I'll be sticking to 👍

3 hours ago, Numerikuu said:

I sort of get you, though not sure if that's fully the case. Imo I like MQToasty's take on something similar below though. Thank you btw!

No problem, I tried the best I could. Tbh, I stopped caring about the lore after TNW because DE made it so much more convoluted than it needed to be. Especially after they implied and established so much just to go back on it at the last second for no reason.

11 hours ago, -ODIN-hugeblackdude said:

No problem, I tried the best I could. Tbh, I stopped caring about the lore after TNW because DE made it so much more convoluted than it needed to be. Especially after they implied and established so much just to go back on it at the last second for no reason.

I stopped caring about the lore at that point too, but mostly because of how little I could pay attention to it with everything else that was utterly godawful about TNW.

As for the question, one thing that DE has done a good job of lore-wise is make the current age of the Tenno surprisingly irrelevant given everything else going on in the story, as everything regarding their age is past-tense and that you don't need to look like a grown-up to act like one.

Now if you excuse me, my Tenno needs to go pop into a frame and run around with a flamethrower.

Archived