Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Alecaframe The overwolf overlay

Nothing

Question

12 answers to this question

Overwolf do not work with DE. They have NEVER mentioned it, DE has NEVER mentioned it.

What you read was a lie from the add-on creator.

Also, it directly accesses game files by the looks of it, so just having it running is a banable offense.

The fact that the creator wants the users to check if its banable instead of getting in contact himself says enough.

Again, DE is not working with/in partnership/collabing with ANY third party app or add-on developer.

Hello, I am the developer of AlecaFrame.

AlecaFrame does NOT alter/interact with the game files in any way other than reading the game logs.

About the DE-Overwolf relationship, the official stance in the Overwolf help articles is that (they) "are working closely with game publishers to ensure that all the apps we publish are aligned with their Terms of Service and their 3rd party policies".

I have asked Overwolf for further clarification about this and I will update this post as soon as I get an answer.

EDIT: A new update to the "Third-Party Software and You" article (https://digitalextremes.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/360030014351-Third-Party-Software-and-You) now clarifies the relationship between Overwolf and DE

18 minutes ago, alecamar said:

Hello, I am the developer of AlecaFrame.

AlecaFrame does NOT alter/interact with the game files in any way other than reading the game logs.

About the DE-Overwolf relationship, the official stance in the Overwolf help articles is that (they) "are working closely with game publishers to ensure that all the apps we publish are aligned with their Terms of Service and their 3rd party policies".

I have asked Overwolf for further clarification about this and I will update this post as soon as I get an answer.

Go and remove this from your apps description pls, you just stated its false. 

"Thanks to the collaboration between DE and Overwolf, it can detect your inventory without the need for screen capture or anything like that." 

Is good to know your not directly in breach of ToS though. If only Overwolf was in colab with DE, Alecaframe might even be worth the bloatware that is overwolf.

23 minutes ago, XHADgaming said:

TL:DR if other players are widely using it, or just using basic macros most likely okay despite the concern.

Abusing the functions such as looking into game files or automating functions or cheating aren't. 

DE official policy is use at your own risk, so it is up to you to decide.

Thanks, better to avoid it since they don't make any white list.

It'd be pretty ironic if DE started banning people for it, considering @TheKengineer, one of the most prominent creators, made a whole video plugging it.

Note, I'm not saying "ironic" as a synonym for "unbelievable" or "implausible".  I'm inclined to say it's unlikely but it's certainly plausible.  The video was sponsored by the app and not by DE.  And even if the app was totally safe at one point, that doesn't mean it will always be safe.  Plus DE is capable of making mistakes even if there's no malicious intent on the player's or app designers' part.

Update from 8/23/2022 :

As of more recently, we’re aware of recent conversations around Overwolf and their apps. The above also applies to those apps (and all other third-party software). We would like to make it clear that our involvement with Overwolf is simply that we’ve had conversations to ensure that Warframe’s EULA and ToS are not being breached in any way.

Regardless of this update, this below line still applies.

If you use external software in conjunction with Warframe, then you do so at your own risk.

Archived