Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Warframe on Steam vs standalone game client?

BinarnyGrubas

Question

Can someone explain me please, exist any advantages or disadvantages between Warframe on Steam, and official Warframe client? Today first time I saw Warframe on Steam, and Prime Access costs 2x less than on official Warframe page. On Epic Games is cheaper too, but not that much as on Steam.

So, for example what if:

1. I will buy Prime Access on Steam, what does it mean to me? (price is 2x less in my country)
  2. I always must start the game from Steam, or can I use a standalone game client, if the first time I will start from Steam?
  3. Any advantages or disadvantages of each game client?
  4. What if I will buy XYZ on Steam, but in the future I will unlink accounts?
  5. What about my nickname, if Warframe on Steam require "3-rd party account". If on Steam I have nicknamed "ABC", but on Warframe "DEF", what nickname other players will see?
  6. Can I anytime unlink account?
  7. If point 6 yes, then what about progression and let's name it "account history"? Because on Steam as I see, I can obtain achievements and so on.

Thanks!

7 answers to this question

8 minutes ago, BinarnyGrubas said:

Can someone explain me please, exist any advantages or disadvantages between Warframe on Steam, and official Warframe client?

there's two advantages -- both personal -- for running Warframe from the standalone client vs. steam: 

1. I don't like the constant interferences from friends on steam messaging me, when they can instead contact me on Discord or TS3 instead.  
  2. I haven't seen any Tennogen in the last 10 waves of adds worthwhile of spending any money on.  They are look like more of the same, or they look meh in my book and I don't need the constant reminders for them.

Otherwise the only thing I've seen in the past is if you're running a potato, the steam overlay can cause the game to hesitate and/or lag which might cause players to be annoyed.  

Warframe on steam is pretty much standalone, uses launcher to update etc. All it lets you access is tennogen.

You can run warframe as standalone while having it installed through steam by creating a shortcut and adding "-cluster:public -registry:Steam" at the end of its path.

So you can run it through steam for tennogen and run it as standalone through shortcut.

34 minutes ago, BinarnyGrubas said:

So, for example what if:

1. I will buy Prime Access on Steam, what does it mean to me? (price is 2x less in my country)
  2. I always must start the game from Steam, or can I use a standalone game client, if the first time I will start from Steam?
  5. What about my nickname, if Warframe on Steam require "3-rd party account". If on Steam I have nicknamed "ABC", but on Warframe "DEF", what nickname other players will see?
  7. If point 6 yes, then what about progression and let's name it "account history"? Because on Steam as I see, I can obtain achievements and so on.

1. You just get it for cheaper.

2. You can freely swap between Steam, Standalone and Epic Games clients

3. With Steam you can buy Tennogen (cosmetics made by other players)

4. It will remain on your Warframe account

5. They see your Warframe username, not the Steam one

6. Yes

7. If you do an achievement while your accounts are unlinked, you won't get it on Steam even after linking. You'll keep the Steam achievements even after unlinking your accounts.

1. You have to link your Steam account with Warframe account to able use stuff from Prime access bought through Steam

4. Eveything stay on your linked account

5. Your Warframe nick

6. Yes

7. You still have to log in with WF account, so progression is intact even not using Steam

Zitat

You should still get all the Prime Access stuff.
But I didn't know the price differs for some contries? For me it's the same on all stores. (There might be some price differences between Pc an console, due to having different bonus stuff like the amount of platinum)

Zitat

Doesn't make a difference since your game progress is tied to you e-mail/DE account.
So you can start WF via Steam, next time via Epic, next time via the standalone and you'll always have your games progress.

Zitat

No differences, but you need the Steam version to buy Tennogen cosmetics (you can unlink afterwards and keep the cosmetics) and the Steam market place cosmetics (like the rubedo and phased skins; if you unlinked here you'll lose access till you relink again (iirc. has been a while since i did this). You can also link to another WF account and have the rubedo/phased skins there, but iirc you can only be linked to one account at the time.
Same goes for the Epic version. You could claim the "unreal tournament" skins and swap back to the other versions and still have access to them.

Zitat

You keep your stuff, but the steam market place items (note: this is the player to player market place and not the steam store where you can buy the prime access/prime vault "DLCs")

Zitat

Your WF account name.
If you download the game via Steam you'll have the same small launcher window to start the game and you'll still have to login with your WF account details.

Zitat

Yes.
Via menu>options>social>privacy: "unlink steam account"

Zitat

Your warframe progress is stored by DE and you won't lose it once you unlink your steam account.
The Steam achievements are stored by Steam and you can only unlock them via a linked Steam game.
So Steam won't know the stuff you already did (like doing your first missions, install a mod, etc.). You would have to create another WF account and play via the Steam launcher to unlock those in Steam again. Same goes for unlinking, once you unlink Steam can't keep track of it and it wont unlock.
(But no matter if linked or not, you can see your WF accounts achievement in your profile anyways (called challanges and require the same tasks as the steam achievements) and those are stored by DE.)

Archived