Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

It's Not A Clip? It's A Magazine.

Raanaar

'The defining difference between clips and magazines is the presence of a feed mechanism in a magazine, typically a spring-loaded follower, which a clip lacks'

-Wikipedia

So if you can see the bullets or have to manually add them (like a moon clip for revolver style weapons), it' a clip (Soma to name one)
If not, it's a magazine (Braton to name one).

He's saying a clip and a magazine aren't the same thing. No modern rifles use clips. OP is right, but I don't find it annoying. Clip fed guns haven't been made for probably 50 years if I had to guess. Might as well make the words mean the same thing. They serve the same purpose but accomplish it in a different way.

Edited by SteeleTheShow

this never fails to pop up at some point.

since you are communicating information, and its well understood what you are referring to, it hardly makes a damn.

if people walk away confused i can understand that there would be a problem, but this always amounts to "mild annoyance".

so no, not a big deal.

There is no such thing as a silencer though. There are technically only suppressors

haha, this was in reference to the old topics and the battles of that. I'm not going to say anything of one being right or not. It's just that you understand what it is, one name or the other.

Am I the only one being annoyed about this a bit? Just read some descriptions.

You can't say anything about that item or another being a clip or a magazine in warframe since you can't have them up-close and some arms don't even have them. You can say it clearly only for small number of arms like Soma, Gremlins (clip) and some other like Gorgon and Strun (magazines).

I don't get what you're saying.

Do you mind elaborating?

A clip is a special type of magazine (ammo storage) which is based around a specific form or function that is rarely used nowdays and only marks a specific type of ammo storage, not the ammo storage of a gun in general.

Magazine can refer to all forms of ammo storage for handheld weapons and is what should be normaly used when refering to it. Magazine is also associated with the modern most common box ammo storage type.

Traditionaly a clip is a metal box or plate that is open to the front (exposing most of the bullets) to allow the bullet to be loaded into the chamber or in some cases just functions to keep the bullets together to be quicker fit into the weapons magazine (the internal storage area).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clip_%28ammunition%29

Clips were used mostly in firearms during the early 20th century but were quickly replaced by the box type ammo storage usualy refered to as magazine.

What Christo is therefor complaining about is that DE refers to the magazine as clip, despite that not being the term for either the internal magazine of a firearm, nor for a nowdays common type of external ammo storage.

This is even more questionable, since most firearms in Warframe use completely outlandish forms of ammo storage like for example the Grakata and it's ball at the grib magazine. Therefor using an allready niche term is kind of silly for anyone who knows what a clip refers to.

It's a bit like calling the magazine a tube, pan, drum, belt or quiver.

For example would you not raise an eyebrow if the magazine of the Soma would be called quiver?

The mistake of using clip instead of magazine however seems to be fairly common among video game developers. So i don't think we can blame DE for using it.

Edited by Othergrunty

My guess is that the reason they use the term "clips" instead of the proper term, magazine, is because

1: A majority of people who play games don't really care about firearm terminology and therefore don't care/don't know the difference between the two. (this is really common in a lot of video game communities, especially FPS and TPS games)

2: In movies and tv shows, characters refer to them as clips because the writers don't know/don't care about firearm terminology and the people watching those said forms of entertainment just follow along and assume that the word clip is the right term when it is not

3: Clip is one syllable and rolls off the tongue better than the three syllable magazine

Clips and Magazines are not the same thing. Most Pistols use Clips, while Rifles and Shotguns use Magazines. 

That's not really correct either. Most pistols produced within the past 100-odd years use magazines (detachable or not) as well (notable trendsetters being the C-93 Borchardt and C-96 Mauser produced in the 1890's, if memory serves); by contrast, most shotguns don't use them (obvious exception being ones such as the Saiga-12, i.e. one that isn't pump-action).

Primary difference is that a detachable magazine has its own feeding mechanism.

Edited by Taranis49

Clips are just that; a clip that hold cartridges together. Stripper clip is more accurate, but enbloc clips also exist. The last service rifle the US had that used stripper clips was the M14 (mid 50's to early 60's). They're used to charge a magazine.

A magazine is actually what holds the cartridges and feeds the gun. This can cover some territory, but in modern use it's generally a detachable box magazine. Fixed magazines (as found on the above mentioned C96, an M1 Garand or a 1941 Johnson--rotary, no less) are usually charged with clips.

It's just a matter of terminology and making yourself understood. Misuse of the term can cause confusion.

In the game, it hardly matters. The 'frames don't carry visible extra ammo and the only weapons offhand I've seen that display actual detachable magazines are the Gorgon and Sobek. My experience in this is somewhat limited, however. And, again, it hardly matters in the game.

Clips are just that; a clip that hold cartridges together. Stripper clip is more accurate, but enbloc clips also exist. The last service rifle the US had that used stripper clips was the M14 (mid 50's to early 60's). They're used to charge a magazine.

The M14 used detachable box magazines

The M1 Garand used en-bloc clips, the M1903 used stripper clips

The M14 happened to have a detachable box magazine; it also had a stripper clip guide. It was meant to be used both ways.

There's always been an element of "They (the soldiers) will use too much ammo!" and "They (the soldiers) will lose the magazine!" in US ordnance circles.

Enbloc and stripper hardly  matters. They're both still used to charge a fixed magazine. The 1941 Johnson had a rotary magazine with two sets of feed lips; it could accept both strippers and single rounds with a round still in the chamber. Clever, but it still didn't displace the Garand in US service.

'The defining difference between clips and magazines is the presence of a feed mechanism in a magazine, typically a spring-loaded follower, which a clip lacks'

-Wikipedia

That is not the defining difference, a magazine remains attached to the weapon or is part of the weapon and acts as an ammunition repository while rounds are fed into the breech by the firing mechanism. A clip holds the rounds separate from the weapon and when more ammunition is needed the entire clip of rounds is fed into the weapon at once then discarded. In some designs, a clip can be used to quickly charge a magazine to save time.

Edited by HexCaliber

Yeah the Gremlins and the Soma both feed through the body of the gun so i guess that means they do actually use clips and not magazines. This is one of those things I've never really understood why people get so worked up over.

Firearms are used in multiple lines of work and has a huge civilian market with plenty of enthusiasts.  People get worked up about what they like.

That is not the defining difference, a magazine remains attached to the weapon or is part of the weapon and acts as an ammunition repository while rounds are fed into the breech by the firing mechanism. A clip holds the rounds separate from the weapon and when more ammunition is needed the entire clip of rounds is fed into the weapon at once then discarded. In some designs, a clip can be used to quickly charge a magazine to save time.

It IS the main difference.  The fact that magazine has it's own feeding mechanism implies that it remains attached to the firearm while shooting.  Both hold extra rounds separate from the weapon.