Dante Unbound: Known Issues ×
Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Chroma causes giant black squares to appear on screen

BalaDeSilver

I have no idea what causes it, but it might have something to do with a missing lens flare texture, since there are tiny black squares around the huge black square  that change position as I move the screen (see end of the video). I would investigate, but that doesn't seem to help on bug reports around here, so yeah.

Also, I know you guys say to not make a single report for multiple bugs, but I just so happen to be playing Caliban and clients still can't see his ult's bubble, even if the client is the Caliban themnselves. Just saying.

On 2022-12-27 at 12:51 AM, (PSN)lord_makino234 said:

I'm actually surprising somebody is playing caliban usually it's just junk mastery fodder or someone who mains caliban which is almost none

Actually I main Yareli, but she's bad for leveling weapons, so I was playing Caliban instead.

I've been suffering this issue for like 2 weeks already. I went crazy even deleting the Nvidia cache folder every single time I started the game, ofc it didn't work. It did not matter which tileset or warframes were used. I even tried changing weapons around testing due I've been leveling up a lot of things recently, from warframes to weapons to companions.

Hope the issue is fixed soon. It was a nightmare playing the last archon hunt last Sunday, losing 3/4 of my screen to those black squares :s

On 2022-12-27 at 10:51 AM, (PSN)lord_makino234 said:

I'm actually surprising somebody is playing caliban usually it's just junk mastery fodder or someone who mains caliban which is almost none

Recently I use Caliban for SP Void Fissures, but I replaced Razor Gyre with Breach Surge. I don't know, I just can't use Razor Gyre, but I can use the other skills effectively. It's rather funny seeing a Breach Surge projectile doing 13m damage, though.

14 hours ago, [DE]Momaw said:

Thanks for the report: Your video was SUPER USEFUL! In the end it wasn't really Chroma's fault, but posting with a video gave us the clues we needed.

These black squares are quite a common occurrence with players. Previously players advised to turn off bloom to avoid it... but I think this is a technical issue in which we shouldn't have to turn off anything to avoid it.

Would you later post to explain what is or caused this visual bug? 

4 hours ago, kyori said:

These black squares are quite a common occurrence with players. Previously players advised to turn off bloom to avoid it... but I think this is a technical issue in which we shouldn't have to turn off anything to avoid it.

Would you later post to explain what is or caused this visual bug? 

The black squares are called NAN errors.  Essentially, while rendering the frame, the GPU tries some operation which produces a result that is Not A Number. The GPU then throws up its many hands and puts black there because it has no way of knowing what the result should have been.

There are many potential cases where black squares/NAN errors may appear, it's a very broad sort of problem and simply indicates that we're doing something that is mathematically confusing to the GPU. Tracking them down can be difficult because they are usually dependent on specific visual settings and can even be specific to each hardware generation and vendor. Each will require a case by case analysis, so if you have something else that can reliably cause them appear, feel free to open a different thread with your video and repro clues.

In this particular case, we reproduced the issue as being related to standing in a certain distance away from somebody using the Mios with elemental effects enabled. The info I got back from the graphics engineer working on this is that the Mios has an animation bone with a Scale value of zero; if you remember math class, you cannot divide things by zero, the result is "undefined".

9 hours ago, Gensoukyou1337 said:

Recently I use Caliban for SP Void Fissures, but I replaced Razor Gyre with Breach Surge. I don't know, I just can't use Razor Gyre, but I can use the other skills effectively. It's rather funny seeing a Breach Surge projectile doing 13m damage, though.

Razor Gyre sucks, don't worry. I replaced it with Dispensary.

19 hours ago, [DE]Momaw said:

The black squares are called NAN errors.  Essentially, while rendering the frame, the GPU tries some operation which produces a result that is Not A Number. The GPU then throws up its many hands and puts black there because it has no way of knowing what the result should have been.

There are many potential cases where black squares/NAN errors may appear, it's a very broad sort of problem and simply indicates that we're doing something that is mathematically confusing to the GPU. Tracking them down can be difficult because they are usually dependent on specific visual settings and can even be specific to each hardware generation and vendor. Each will require a case by case analysis, so if you have something else that can reliably cause them appear, feel free to open a different thread with your video and repro clues.

In this particular case, we reproduced the issue as being related to standing in a certain distance away from somebody using the Mios with elemental effects enabled. The info I got back from the graphics engineer working on this is that the Mios has an animation bone with a Scale value of zero; if you remember math class, you cannot divide things by zero, the result is "undefined".

There seems to be something 'somewhat' related to this on Profit Taker's limbs as well right now.  The squares weren't 'black' but I think they were being hit by some other filters and were initially black.  It's less glaring, but it's still obvious that 'Something is wrong here'.  I realize this might well be fixed with this patch work that you're doing, but in case it's missed I thought I should point it out.

22 hours ago, [DE]Momaw said:

The black squares are called NAN errors. 

Thanks for the explanation. I have a clear understanding now. For me, I only encountered it that time together with many others, then I turned off bloom and it wasn't there anymore.

All the best in sorting out and fixing all these stuffs.

On 2023-01-04 at 4:42 PM, [DE]Momaw said:

Hey, I've posted a thread about this bug herehere, and I replied here. Sorry that I am posting everywhere with this but I'm just really excited that I finally see some activity from the dev team about this bug.

Archived