Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

This isn't Duviri feedback, but it is why this update struck a nerve with me.

(XBOX)TehChubbyDugan

I like a lot of games like the Zelda, Metroid and Diablo series.  Genres that emulate that kind of stuff interest me.  2D action platformers, or isometric action games maybe with some puzzles or some loot.  I've played a lot of them, but...  They've kind of stopped making them.  

Because the games that I like, save progression.  You don't start over from nothing when you die, you respawn in town, or at the last checkpoint you hit.  The combat might be fairly easy, or it might be hard as nails, but it's its own thing.  In the last couple of years though, every time I browse Steam or the Xbox store, every game that looks like it might be up my alley has two tags on it that I am so tired of seeing.

Roguelike/Souls like.

And I know that several of the earliest titles in the Zelda and Metroid series had perma death and no saves.  That's because they literally didn't have the tech for saves, so that had to use passwords that altered the game state.  The moment they had that tech, they implemented permanent saved progress.  The entirety of the Roguelike genre, and games that were ultra hard and didn't save progress was literally a money grab from arcade game makers to keep you putting quarters in.  Instead of dying out, they're whole tags on Steam now.

Every game out there now has these tags.  And I get why they keep doing it.  Especially the indie devs.  Even though the actual Souls games and other Fromsoft games are difficult, they're still mostly balanced.  But many of these devs use the Soulslike tag as an excuse to just not balance the game.  Combine that with the RL mechanic of permadeath, and you have a game that allegedly has really high replay value.  Constant death, no saved progress = short game turns into long game.  I hate it though.  I hate these two tags.  I'm tired of the mechanics that they imply.  And I'm really over every single game that catches my eye having these tags on them.  

But I had this game, Warframe.  I could come back to this game and not have to worry about these omnipresent, infuriating tags that are on every single game I even think about playing.  Until now.  They managed to fit mechanics to match both of these tags into every last drop of new content.

So now I'm basically back to just replaying old games that I've already played a dozen times, because I know they aren't going to have those stupid mechanics in them.  The fact that these insanely pervasive trends invaded a game like this, that is essentially gun Pokemon, is just ridiculous to me.  I was already very irritated with both of these genres leaking into every other genre I liked.  To have them here as well has really struck a nerve with me.  I've been frustrated with these mechanics for quite a while now, and having them here too just makes me want to scream.

I don't get it though like..

In Duviri when you run out of revives, you die and lose and go back to the Dormizone.. In Warframe when you run out of revives, you die and lose and go back to the Orbiter. It's the same as the normal game. They didn't change anything?

You get multiple revives and it's devoid of other features in Roguelites like scarcity of healing items and management of resources.. It has none of that. You can heal yourself on the spot, endlessly even.

Duviri isn't a Roguelite.

I don't honestly know why it was advertised as one. They slapped on some features reminiscent of Roguelites but this is definitely not one. I think maybe they just wanted to bandwagon on the popularity of that genre?

My personal opinion is that they maybe shouldn't have done the same decrees in Duviri as in The Circuit, honestly. From what I've experienced in game and from reading other players reports on the forums, we basically aren't actually engaging with the Soulframe preview they wanted to deliver and the way we are playing this is "stack decrees lol" ~ they are extremely out of scale with the Duviri enemies and the gameplay dissolves as a result.

Edited by cute_moth.npc
  • Like 1

Just as @cute_moth.npc said there Duviri hardly resembles any of those genres.

It is as much of a roguelite as an Arbitration with buffs to random gear, and it us as much of a souls-like as normal new player experience. We already have all of those elements, DE just chose to extensively market it as some other genre.

I myself both like and dislike various parts of the update, so perhaps the root of the problem not as much arbitrary genre tags, but concrete mechanics this update utilizes?

8 hours ago, cute_moth.npc said:

we basically aren't actually engaging with the Soulframe preview they wanted to deliver 

Sorry, but could you please quote them about Duviri being a Soulframe preivew? Because I've never seen/heard that from the devs... Or it's just an assumption to make another assumption about how the devs feels about how we play the game?

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, vanaukas said:

Sorry, but could you please quote them about Duviri being a Soulframe preivew? Because I've never seen/heard that from the devs... Or it's just an assumption to make another assumption about how the devs feels about how we play the game?

Have you like.. Looked at the gameplay videos of Duviri and Soulframe together? It has its own flair to it but that's the combat system they're working on..

24 minutes ago, cute_moth.npc said:

Have you like.. Looked at the gameplay videos of Duviri and Soulframe together? It has its own flair to it but that's the combat system they're working on..

They aren't similar enough to say it's a soulframe demo/preview tho.

I'll wait for Soulframe to drop to see if this is the case or not, because Duviri was really far from beiong "slow paced" and "methofical" or whatever buzzword people want to throw instantly by just seeing small gameplay clips. Not even SP version is "slow" in the way Soulframe is being portrayed.

What I find bold of your comment is going an extra mile and arguing about how the devs feels because "we basically aren't actually engaging with the Soulframe preview they wanted to deliver".

This is on the same level of people arguing with total confidence about Duviri being a "soulslike", but Duviri has nothing soulslike going on. Duviri is closer to any 3d Zelda game than any "soulslike" out there.

20 minutes ago, vanaukas said:

They aren't similar enough to say it's a soulframe demo/preview tho.

I'll wait for Soulframe to drop to see if this is the case or not, because Duviri was really far from beiong "slow paced" and "methofical" or whatever buzzword people want to throw instantly by just seeing small gameplay clips. Not even SP version is "slow" in the way Soulframe is being portrayed.

What I find bold of your comment is going an extra mile and arguing about how the devs feels because "we basically aren't actually engaging with the Soulframe preview they wanted to deliver".

This is on the same level of people arguing with total confidence about Duviri being a "soulslike", but Duviri has nothing soulslike going on. Duviri is closer to any 3d Zelda game than any "soulslike" out there.

I actually think you have to be blind to not see the comparison personally, but that's okay.

5 hours ago, cute_moth.npc said:

I actually think you have to be blind to not see the comparison personally, but that's okay.

If you have to link soulframe and Duviri it's more likely that while they were working on duviri they wanted to expand on the concept so they decided to make a new game focused on the slower combat.

It think it's a bit too far to call it something malicious like they forced soulframe on us through duviri. 

2 hours ago, (XBOX)C11H22O11 said:

If you have to link soulframe and Duviri it's more likely that while they were working on duviri they wanted to expand on the concept so they decided to make a new game focused on the slower combat.

It think it's a bit too far to call it something malicious like they forced soulframe on us through duviri. 

I mean.. It's kind of not forced because you have to do it if you want Pathos Clamps but at the same time you can easily skip / nullify the methodical melee combat by picking up decrees and the update has its own flair and additions, so I don't think it's really "forced soulframe on us through duviri?"