The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Does anyone know why energy cannot regenerate continuously during the duration of channeled abilities?

MzKsG

2 hours ago, taiiat said:

Efficiency was limited to 90% at one point, it was just indeed very early that this was changed. exactly when i couldn't remember anymore, but it should be circa mid 2013. 

I just checked every patch note from before I started playing, including the closed beta. The only listed change to power efficiency, was fixing a bug where it wasn't being applied to "toggleable" abilities. So if power efficiency was ever nerfed from 90 to 75, it was an unlisted stealth nerf

2 hours ago, TARINunit9 said:

The only listed change to power efficiency, was fixing a bug where it wasn't being applied to "toggleable" abilities. So if power efficiency was ever nerfed from 90 to 75, it was an unlisted stealth nerf

There are quite a few unlisted changes to energy efficiency back at the very start of warframe.

Such as originally energy efficiency used to actually be efficiency and not cost reduction....people got confused about the maths because they didn't understand it (loudest voices were yelling about how they had 30% efficiency but their 100 cost ability cost 77 energy instead of 70 and it just didn't make sense) and complained loud enough and often enough that DE changed it from an actual efficiency to a cost reduction so that people would stop complaining.  So if you're wondering why mods say they increase ability efficiency but don't actually increase energy efficiency and instead decreases ability costs you can blame the CB forum-goers for that.

During that time there were a lot of other changes that were brought over as a side effect, such as efficiency not being capped and a few other things besides.

Early on in warframes history there were tons of changes that never made it to official update notes on the forums...if you weren't there then you wouldn't have nay idea what had changed in an update. (Entire ways that the game used to be played weren't in the notes....you won't find battle decks in any patch notes for example).
It is less a "stealth nerf" and more a change that was communicated at the time to players of the game but never made into official patch notes.  There was probably a post on the forums, and a note on one of the CBT splash pages, but a lot of those got purged over the years.

7 hours ago, TARINunit9 said:

I just checked every patch note from before I started playing, including the closed beta. The only listed change to power efficiency, was fixing a bug where it wasn't being applied to "toggleable" abilities. So if power efficiency was ever nerfed from 90 to 75, it was an unlisted stealth nerf

if context helps, this was some time between after Corrupted Mods were introduced, and a bit after that where Efficiency was nerfed because of the new level that Players were able to reach because of there being two Mods for it.

in conjunction with as aforementioned earlier that Year Efficiency was changed to a linear cost reduction, and in effect making the Efficiency Stat significantly stronger.

22 hours ago, B2-Banger said:

There is no doubt that a player can use a channelled ability for an extended period of time.

Whether Energy Siphon the aura or the focus school Zenurik's Well Spring ability should work with a channelled ability is a different topic.

Energy Siphon is arguably strong, however it does give fixed energy generation. How easy it is to access energy for a warframe and how they use their ability is different. What resources it takes to access or utilize various forms of energy generation such as Zenurik's Well Spring. Etc. etc. etc.

Abilities aren't free. At least, Digital Extremes does not believe they should be. This is a basic design philosophy that they would like to adopt.

And, coming forward, likely abilities will not be free. This topic isn't only in just whether a warframe's channelled ability should be able to use regeneration or if their costs should be decreased more in line with more modern or even more imbalanced but fun frames.

When will we debate whether Channelled abilities should be reworked? Likely when enough support in the game is available for channelled abilities that a serious rebalance would need to be considered. We are beginning to see new arcanes such as Arcane intention, at rank 5 able to give 250 max health per channelled ability. There is Braton Incarnon that gets 38 base damage with a channelled ability active or Kunai Incarnon with 100% multishot. These are small ripples as of right now, but likely they will come to form large waves.

Warframe's energy economy will likely become a future topic point, however in personal opinion, the topic of energy generation will likely be in the topic of a "nerf" and a overall restructuring of the abilities we call "Channelled" abilities, with greater energy drains and lesser effects, unless a creative solution is found.

I kinda think the opposite of they were going to restructure channeled abilities. I think they would weaken them in exchange for longevity.

That said, I don't see an issue with them in their current state. High efficiency requires a sacrifice of strength and duration. When trying to regain either would require a paper thin glass cannon with little chance of survival. I like this because there are several trade-offs but some of the ideal setup is doable. 

Archived