Dante Unbound: Known Issues ×
Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Chat window keeps moving when joining any mission as client

SteveCutler

Not sure if it's related but this started happening to me aswell around the time I got my RTX 4060 Ti
Didn't happen at all to me when I was on my Radeon R9 390.

So maybe a Nvidea issue?

1 hour ago, TakkuNL said:

Not sure if it's related but this started happening to me aswell around the time I got my RTX 4060 Ti

So maybe a Nvidea issue?

I'm actually using RTX4090, and if this happens only in the nvidia RTX series graphics card environment, I suspect it's a hardware optimization problem that the Warframe client program has.

To ensure that the hardware optimization and compatibility issues that occurred during programming and coding are correct, the production team will need to test them in various PC hardware environments.

Losing connection to multiplayer host always trigger this chat-window bug for me, and new wf updates are likely to cause repeated chat-window rests. 

Seems to be a connection issue,? Not a graphics issue.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, IRONLASER said:

I'm actually using RTX4090, and if this happens only in the nvidia RTX series graphics card environment, I suspect it's a hardware optimization problem that the Warframe client program has.

To ensure that the hardware optimization and compatibility issues that occurred during programming and coding are correct, the production team will need to test them in various PC hardware environments.

I'm gonna play a while without DLSS I suspect that might be the cause IF its just the RTX experiencing this issue

-- Update -- 
So far it hasn't occurred YET, I'll keep y'all posted.

Edited by TakkuNL
Update on the matter

On 2024-01-05 at 9:32 AM, TakkuNL said:

So maybe a Nvidea issue?

On 2024-01-05 at 11:40 AM, Decusatim said:

Losing connection to multiplayer host always trigger this chat-window bug for me, and new wf updates are likely to cause repeated chat-window rests. 

Seems to be a connection issue,? Not a graphics issue.

On 2024-01-05 at 11:46 AM, TakkuNL said:

I'm gonna play a while without DLSS I suspect that might be the cause IF its just the RTX experiencing this issue

-- Update -- 
So far it hasn't occurred YET, I'll keep y'all posted.

I've tried various methods, and here's what I can tell you now.

- The bug must occur when you start a mission as a client rather than a host.
- I tried adjusting the graphics settings of Windows 11 and Nvidia graphics settings, but it didn't affect the bug.
- Even if you modify the in-game upscaling settings and UI settings, these bugs continue to occur.
- If it's a network environmental issue, I'd like to ask why this issue didn't happen when running on an Xbox Series X installed in the same room.

- This issue is likely to be a hardware optimization issue that PC version clients may have, even if it occurs only in certain hardware environments, such as RTX family graphics cards.

Edited by IRONLASER

1 hour ago, IRONLASER said:

I've tried various methods, and here's what I can tell you now.

- The bug must occur when you start a mission as a client rather than a host.
- I tried adjusting the graphics settings of Windows 11 and Nvidia graphics settings, but it didn't affect the bug.
- Even if you modify the in-game upscaling settings and UI settings, these bugs continue to occur.
- If it's a network environmental issue, I'd like to ask why this issue didn't happen when running on an Xbox Series X installed in the same room.
- Even if this problem only occurs in certain hardware environments, such as RTX family graphics cards, this is not a hardware optimization problem that PC version clients may have.

Not gonna lie but disabling DLSS in warframe's settings seems to have fixed it for me.

1 hour ago, IRONLASER said:

However, I encountered a bug without activating DLSS.

Yeah I think it might not be one thing that causes it then, However still could be a Nvidea issue unless we got some AMD gpu's in here experiencing the same issue.

--update--

Welp nvm, Literally after saying its fixed it started doing it again.

Edited by TakkuNL

Has anyone tried click on each corner of the chat and resizing it? I've done that and a few other things, it hasn't happened to me since. Not saying it's a solution but maybe worth trying. I also changed chat text size small, and scale 100%.  I changed to Menu scale legacy, auto focus text fields none, show damage numbers legacy. Disabled optimized flip model,

I've changed a few things just listed them all. I think clicking on each corner of chat and resizing it may have done something? Time will tell. I've done menu scale legacy, and it didn't work before, the bug came back. The last thing I did was adjust HUD margins.

Just reporting things, I'll play some more to see if I encounter moving chat again.

We've come across a lot of different factors and there's one cause that unites them all: inaccessibility to saved settings. Where are these settings stored and what is cutting off access from time to time?

If WF for some reason cannot access saved settings, which includes HUD elements such as the chat window, it's bound to change the chat window to somekind of default value. I don't know if these settings are stored server-side (cloud) or client-side (our computers) but it might be a good idea to have two mirror'ing files where the client-side version kicks in in case of connection issues - two files thats trive to keep one another identical but without the need to be constantly online.

@Decusatim I'm not sure what you mean by this - the settings are stored in the '%localappdata%/Warframe' directory under a specific folder with profile info (it'll just be a bunch of letters and numbers), with a file called "settings". It's encrypted so you won't be able to read it, but these settings are always stored locally (which is why there's complaints when people switch PCs or use remote gaming and have to update them again, as they don't sync across systems). The EE.cfg file also has some saved settings (like keybinds and some graphical and gameplay ones) which are also local to the system, but this file can be viewed with a text editor just fine.

Nothing seems to be causing any inaccessibility to either of these things, as they're loaded in and only updated / overwritten on changes. Mine are also at default scaling values and I still have this issue occur. I don't think it's anything related to connectivity issues or inability to locate or load files, as these things would be reported in logging and I'm not seeing either.

I'm trying to remember when this first started happening to me, I think it was around dmg numbers update? Maybe I have not been playing enough lately to experience when it started.

Anyways I did what I said I did in my previous post, I still haven't happen to me yet. Here's hoping.

qt6vsV1.png

I don't think a particular piece of hardware is the direct cause of the bug, but since the game may be a conflict with the hardware due to optimization issues, I'm going to raise the simple specification of the PC hardware I'm using. I'd also like to know if a PC user with the same or similar environment is experiencing the same bug, and if the graphics driver has been completely deleted and reinstalled to fix it.

Good. Then let's summarize the facts and possibilities that we know so far.

- If you multi-play as a client rather than a host, the UI shrinks during the loading process and the chat box is pushed to the left and does not restore to its original position. This bug is not intended.

- The bug appears to have occurred after update 33.

- I tried to manipulate the Windows 11 operating system settings, but no changes were observed in relation to the bug. It is unlikely that the operating system interfered with the behavior of the game.

- These bugs were not observed in the Xbox Series X version installed in the same room as the PC you are using and on the same network. This is a bug that only occurs in the PC version, and it is necessary to see the possibility of problems in the programming and coding process of the PC version.

- Since the bug also occurs on a PC equipped with RTX 4090, it is also necessary to consider the possibility of optimization problems in the game program. It is virtually unlikely that the PC's hardware directly interfered with the game program and caused the bug.

Edited by IRONLASER

So in playing after my changes, I've noticed my chat still moves about. Although not extremely as before. It would move slightly downwards, I didn't notice it. Until I've noticed another behavior. During the loading process, you can see the resolution change.

I've now set in options, video, Dynamic Resolution to USER, and scale 100%. Haven't noticed chat or the weird loading process changing resolution on me.

I do run multiple monitors, and they don't have the same resolution settings. Also in this entire process, when scrolling the graphic settings, just scrolling something changes. You can hear an audible click, without changing anything. The game asks you to save changes, even if you didn't change anything.

Edited by Deus-Machina

I have also been having this bug happen when joining and leaving missions and tried various settings in-game to fix it, but it has had little effect.

However, I just tried a couple of things today, and it seems to have done the trick:

1. Set up G-Sync -> Enable G-Sync, G-Sync Compatible -> Enable for full-screen mode
  2. Set Aspect Ratio to Auto (not sure if this helped much as I might have tried in the past, but just in case, I am putting it here)

Some details about my set-up so people can compare:

• Nvidia RTX Graphics Card
  • Two monitor set-up
  • 2560x1440p resolution at 120Hz
  • G-Sync enabled for windowed and full-screen
  • The chatbox kept to the bottom left-hand corner of the screen

Since changing both of the above today, I haven't had the issue of the chat box moving into the middle left of my screen.

If anyone also tries this and it is helpful, let us know. I hope it solves someone's issues.

9 hours ago, AeonRanger said:

I have also been having this bug happen when joining and leaving missions and tried various settings in-game to fix it, but it has had little effect.

However, I just tried a couple of things today, and it seems to have done the trick:

1. Set up G-Sync -> Enable G-Sync, G-Sync Compatible -> Enable for full-screen mode
  2. Set Aspect Ratio to Auto (not sure if this helped much as I might have tried in the past, but just in case, I am putting it here)

Some details about my set-up so people can compare:

• Nvidia RTX Graphics Card
  • Two monitor set-up
  • 2560x1440p resolution at 120Hz
  • G-Sync enabled for windowed and full-screen
  • The chatbox kept to the bottom left-hand corner of the screen

Since changing both of the above today, I haven't had the issue of the chat box moving into the middle left of my screen.

If anyone also tries this and it is helpful, let us know. I hope it solves someone's issues.

Unfortunately, I tried the same method as above and installed it again after installing the graphics driver with DDU, but it didn't help to solve this problem.

Also. %LOCALAPPDATA%\Warframe I deleted the cfg file and the folder with a strange name and re-run the game, but when I re-adjusted the resolution, HUD, and Chatbox settings, the bugs continue to occur.

On 2024-01-04 at 6:32 PM, TakkuNL said:

So maybe a Nvidea issue?

I've got a Radeon RX 6700 XT and have been having this issue for the last few weeks as well, so it's definitely not just an Nvidia issue

I've also been having this issue since at least Duviri, however, I've also completely upgraded my PC since then and have had this bug on both my new and old PC. I even changed the vast majority of my in-game settings (display, UI, social, etc.) too when I reinstalled it. The only thing I didn't change was my windows install.

I only ever experience the issue when starting missions while in lobbies as a client, though it usually doesn't recur if I start another mission without leaving the lobby or having a host migration. I have never experienced it as a host or in any other part of the game.

Edited by Indecisive1
Wrong word

Just had this happen on login too - no mission or anything was launched, the chat window just immediately moved to the middle of the window upon logging in and getting control in the Drifter Camp. Same exact settings as I previously listed, no scaling applied and at native res.

Honestly not sure what additional info can be provided for this - it seems unrelated to hosting, unrelated to scaling or resolution, and unrelated to hardware / drivers (I've had it happen on multiple Nvidia driver versions, with the only change being a game update that caused it). It seems like just something the evolution engine is doing that doesn't seem to be logged anywhere, and doesn't have any consistent reproduction other than "load level and maybe it'll happen idk".

I get this isn't by any means the largest of priorities, but it's almost been 7 months now. It doesn't look particularly good to players, especially new ones, to have long-standing bugs present. Players can only include so much feedback and bug reporting before it just becomes a matter of someone on the dev team kinda needs to just sit down and try to debug it, even if briefly. I don't know if the chat UI element is being shifted and some off-screen correction is moving it back, or the level load routine is hitting some sort of race condition with the UI causing it to fall back to some defaults or something, but there's a lot to look into that players just can't assist with given all the info already provided.

1/20/2024 Edit: Yeah this is absolutely related to the evolution engine doing level loads - my screen just flashed the progress tooltip rapidly at different sizes and scales and the chat window was messed up. Unfortunately I did not get a recording of it (I don't have the hard disk space to be recording all my gaming sessions and I don't stream) but it was extremely jarring flashing.

Edited by Naroxas44
additional info
  • Like 3