Dante Unbound: Known Issues ×
Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Chat window keeps moving when joining any mission as client

SteveCutler

We need consistent reproducible steps, we can not fix what we can not reproduce. Could be related to display mode, resolution, HUD scaling, Windows settings etc.

From the amount of responses to this issue while annoying it seems pretty rare overall, so any additional info will help.

• Like 1

On 2023-12-13 at 4:20 PM, [DE]Saske said:

We need consistent reproducible steps, we can not fix what we can not reproduce. Could be related to display mode, resolution, HUD scaling, Windows settings etc.

From the amount of responses to this issue while annoying it seems pretty rare overall, so any additional info will help.

Will a DE member finally acknowledge about the ps5 slim situation, warframe kills the game to the point it hard crashes the console forcing a memory and data rebuild this is hugely detrimental to consoles this needs to be addressed.

Windows 10 font scale: 110%

DirectX 11

Screen resolution: 1960x1080

Borderless fullscreen

Vertical synch: Auto

Menu scale: Custom

Custom menu scale: 100

Chat scale: 100

Chat text size: Large

Additional info: I'm not sure, but I have a feeling that when the chat window moves when I connect to a host with a higher ping or something else makes the game lag during the first moments of loading screen.

This wasn't a problem until Duviri came out...

2560x1440 Fullscreen

Default UI settings

Windows scaling is 110 or 125 w/e the next option is past 100 on W11

Trying to argue that forum post activity is indicative of the amount people affected is a joke.

I shouldn't have to shrink my UI to the size of any via legacy UI just to fix your bug

Edited by MuteVCFarmer

Happened in about 1 in 15 missions before Whispers, now it's happening every other mission.

2560x1440 Borderless Fullscreen - dual monitor setup, both monitors 1440p
Menu scale - "FULL"
HUD scale - 140
Chat scale - 125
Renderer - DX12 (DX11 was trying to kill my CPU)
DLSS On - Quality
V-Sync - On

Windows 11 display scaling is set to 125%. 

Not gonna lie, it's driving me up the wall a little bit, would love a "lock chat window position" toggle.

Edit: would like to add that being the host or a client makes no difference, had this happen to me in both instances.

Edited by SmokinMoses

I will show you the setting when the chat box bug occurs.

UWS2qm7.png

iuCi9gG.jpg

J4Ee7fB.jpgZC9V6sZ.jpghxel8Br.jpgBf3IW4L.jpgoStxWKY.jpghTQalv2.jpgryL1PpI.jpg

The above video is a photo of the bug that occurred at the time of update34, and the UI briefly shrinks in the 0:13 section, which forces the chat box to be moved. As it must occur during multi-play with the client, this is likely an in-game code defect.

On 2023-12-13 at 11:08 PM, SmokinMoses said:

DX11 was trying to kill my CPU

Tangentially related but - DX11 does some background processing of shader compilation, so it may show really high CPU usage for the first few mins of gameplay after a mainline update or GPU driver update (anything that invalidates or has to rebuild the shader cache). Mine sat at 80% for 2 mins in the orbiter yesterday, and then returned to nominal levels for the rest of gameplay afterwards.

I'll try to edit / post any additional relevant info for this later today if I can replicate it again, but the reproducible steps otherwise are similar for every user:

- Start from navigation, select a mission (public matchmaking seems to trigger it for me, would need more info from other users to confirm if it's isolated to this)

- Launch mission (with chat open or closed, though the videos I see tend to have it open)

- During loading screen with landing craft, the screen flickers and the chat window gets pushed up briefly (there's a few videos on this thread of this occurring)

Most people here seem to be using 1440p or above display, but it doesn't seem unique to resolution - mine is 1920x1080, 100% display scaling (none applied basically) in Windows, Borderless Fullscreen (side note - background application fps limits in NVCP no longer apply in this mode, as of U35, even with fullscreen optimizations disabled), auto aspect ratio, auto Vsync, no upscaling or dynamic resolution applied, no chat or HUD scaling applied (both set to 100%), menu scale set to Full (I think this is just default). It's just occurring at native resolution, with no scaling applied, in borderless fullscreen.

In the above video, like the user states at 0:14 the game engine suddenly shrinks the mission loading tip, before resizing it 2 frames later, and then the chat box appears halfway up the screen (as if the whole resolution or scaling has been shifted, causing it to be forced upward to accommodate). I'm unsure if context switches like this are logged (I see the game camera ones) but I can check next time it occurs, and encourage others having the problem to do so as well. It might help to include chat position in logs or something for troubleshooting this issue, but I don't know how much dev time can realistically be invested into an issue this minor (even if it is annoying).

• Like 3

On 2023-12-15 at 5:54 PM, Naroxas44 said:

Tangentially related but - DX11 does some background processing of shader compilation, so it may show really high CPU usage for the first few mins of gameplay after a mainline update or GPU driver update (anything that invalidates or has to rebuild the shader cache). Mine sat at 80% for 2 mins in the orbiter yesterday, and then returned to nominal levels for the rest of gameplay afterwards.

You were right, I switched to DX11 and it only ever spikes to 100% for 5-10 seconds on first load of each zone and then never again.

Somehow DX11 made it so my chat window now moves up only about 50 pixels, which is enough for me to not be bothered by it - so actually thanks for that tip!

GMQ6CoL.png

I think I might have stumbled onto how to possibly reproduce it - it just happened to me in the orbiter while I was changing loadouts and forma'ing my guns. Rarely, when I exit the arsenal, I get this 0,5-1s hitch, or freeze - and that's the moment it happened, moved to the middle of my screen.

This micro-freeze happens very often when you join a match and begin loading into a mission, which might explain why it moves during that time. (Strangely though, despite Railjack missions having a much more pronounced "hitch" while loading in, it hasn't happened to me there yet.)

Next time I'll try to have shadowplay actually turned on and record it, if it happens in the orbiter again.

On 2023-12-15 at 11:54 AM, Naroxas44 said:

- Start from navigation, select a mission (public matchmaking seems to trigger it for me, would need more info from other users to confirm if it's isolated to this)

- Launch mission (with chat open or closed, though the videos I see tend to have it open)

- During loading screen with landing craft, the screen flickers and the chat window gets pushed up briefly (there's a few videos on this thread of this occurring)

Just had this happen again as of 12/19/2023. Repro steps were exactly as above.

Started game, logged in (did not change focus windows or alt tab from the application), walked up to star chart navigation, selected mission Effervo on Deimos (SP modifier was already set and didn't need to be toggled, simply clicked on the node) since the operation rewards are ongoing.

Settings are same as initial post above - 1920x1080 resolution, no scaling applied to UI, chat, or any interface elements, DX11 API w/ borderless fullscreen.

Tooltip resized itself during load for a frame or two, and the chat window was forced upwards (just as other videos have demonstrated). Host was on console (likely last gen, as spawn rates were significantly less than what I would expect Steel Path to have), ping to host was 180ms average (upon initiating matchmaking / finding reliable peer).

Relevant logging (with redacted sensitive information) is below (starting from node selection to initial load / connection to host / level batch loading):

Spoiler

56.272 Script [Info]: ThemedMainMenu.lua: *** Main menu -- shutdown ***
56.272 Script [Info]: MapRedux.lua: DBG: HudVis 0

56.285 Sys [Info]: Started async load of flash movie: /Lotus/Interface/Progress.swf

57.749 Sys [Info]: Texture Streaming Reset.
57.749 Sys [Info]: Texture streaming NORMAL -> REDUCING [Heap: 931,071,792/1,657,929,728 Footprint: 6,382,948,352 Handles: 1,450]
57.749 Net [Info]: Received CONNECT_RESPONSE message from HOST_IP:63438
57.749 Sys [Info]: ClientImpl::Connect sending CMSG_CONTACT message to server HOST_IP:63438 (HOST_NAME), connection: 0
57.749 Net [Info]: Created virtual connection for: HOST_IP:63438 [handle: 0]
57.856 Gfx [Warning]: Present() budget overrun (205 ms)

58.110 Script [Info]: Progress.lua: Initialize
58.111 Script [Info]: Progress.lua: Loading progress level /Lotus/Levels/Episodes/LisetInFlight.level

58.253 Sys [Info]: Starting new background region: /Lotus/Levels/Episodes/LisetInFlight.level
58.253 Sys [Info]: CreateGameCamera: width=1920 height=1080 aspectRatio=1.77778
58.253 Sys [Info]: Loading region

58.256 Sys [Warning]: /Lotus/Levels/Episodes/LisetInFlight.level: no player spawns

58.256 Sys [Info]: RegionMgrImpl::SetLevel /Lotus/Levels/Episodes/LisetInFlight.level
58.256 Sys [Info]: Finished new region
58.256 Script [Info]: Progress.lua: ShowTip()
58.256 Sys [Info]: Created /Lotus/Interface/Progress.swf
58.256 Input [Info]: Subscribing for /Lotus/Interface/Progress.swf with input filter /Lotus/Interface/ProgressInputFilter
58.256 Input [Info]: InitMapping for all devices with bindings /Configs/EE.cfg/LotusWindows_KeyBindings and filter /Lotus/Interface/ProgressInputFilter
58.259 Sys [Info]: Executing valid open callback for /Lotus/Interface/Progress.swf
58.259 Sys [Info]: Connectivity update flags: 1, requires full update: 1
58.259 Sys [Error]: A valid backdrop ID was specified: BackDropSpace however no such backdrop zone was found! Backdrop for zone: /CsgZone0 has been cleared
58.259 Sys [Info]: Full connectivity update took 12us

58.259 Net [Info]: NetDriver::SetConnectionTimeout setting connection 0 timeout to 7.5 * 1
58.259 Sys [Info]: ExitState: Contact
58.259 Sys [Info]: EnterState: Challenge

58.582 Sys [Info]: FSM::LoadLevel
58.582 Sys [Info]: Lobby: 0
58.582 Sys [Info]: 1 region(s):
58.582 Sys [Info]: /Lotus/Levels/Proc/EntratiLab/EntratiLabSwarm/...lp: 0, prio: 1, layer: 255, (58.5, -49.75, 405.5, 1), autonomous: 0

• Like 1

It's been broken since around Update 33.5.6.

Windows Settings:

Scale: 100%

Display: 1920x1080 (Dual monitor both same 144hz)

PC:

CPU: i9 10900K

GPU: RTX3090

RAM 64GB

Warframe Launcher:

Graphics API: DirectX 12

GPU Preference: High Performance

Warframe Settings:

User Interface:

Menu Scale: Full

Video:

Display: Borderless Fullscreen

Resolution: 1920x1080

Refresh Rate: 144hz

Aspect Ratio: Auto

Vertical Sync: Off

Max Framerate: No Limit

Upscaling: Off

Graphics: Custom (Everything High)

Dynamic Resolution: Off

I don't know how much more info you want, but this only seems to occur when joining public matches, it doesn't happen to me when solo. Has been broken since Update 33.5.6.

Edited by Cyco_tK

From the amount of responses to this issue while annoying it seems pretty rare overall.

Not a rare issue. It's been happening to me basically every other mission and I came here looking for a solution.

Comments like this are how bugs just get ignored and lay dormant for years!

• Like 1

This has been happening at least once an hour for me, I'm actually kind of appalled that this has been a bug since July. This "too much trouble" response to long-time bugs building up in the game over the years is the main reason I keep leaving the game again and again.

• Like 1

I tried reproducing the issue by going back to a "basic environment". I removed everything that looked like settings/configs files in the Warframe directory.

Warning; I did a miss manipulation and lost my problematic files. This should not affect the following text.

1. I remove / put aside the following files/ folder. "EE.cfg", "Editor.cfg" and the folder named with numbers and letters containing a file named "settings".

2. I tried changing settings 1 at a time (VIA the in-game UI) before doing back and forth between ship and "Iron Wake" or "Mantle".
    a. Prior changing any another setting, i tried moving the text box into position that were previously problematic.

I am now back to the settings i am happy with and the issues seems gone. Restarting the client and or machine resulted in the issue coming back.

Note:  Nothing was changed except the files mentioned above ^ (still using Graphic API DirectX12 (Beta), no Window settings changed, screen resolution, hardware swap, ...)

If the issue occur again, I'll try to not override the problematic files and see where the issue is. If no issue is found within those two file "EE.cfg" and "Editor.cfg", I'll try to contact DE and share the file named "settings" as it is not readable in it's current state.

Edit: Issue is kinda back. It's not as consistently happening as it previously was.

Edited by zXSoulReaperXz
Update1
  • Like 1

The bug is now considered a client-specific code flaw in the PC version, along with the Driver Camp move bug.

I fixed the UI magnification in the display settings on Windows 11, but this didn't fix it. I reinstalled the game and it didn't help at all. In this case, the operating system installed on the PC or the game client installed incorrectly is not the cause.

I've never heard of a user replacing a graphics card to fix this problem, but it's unlikely that a particular computer part will cause this problem.

Therefore, even if it occurs in certain hardware, operating systems, or network environments on your computer, it should be viewed as a bug due to an internal flaw in the client program for your PC.

Edited by IRONLASER

Just wanted to chime in and join the ranks of "i have this bug"

And i have had i for a long time. Switching from 5120x1440 to 2560x1440 didn't help.

so, for me atleast, it is not resolution based.

Tried the "legacy scaling" fix suggested earlier. Didn't fix it.

Would be nice if DE could specify the type of info they need, or maybe reach out to some of us having the bug, so we can assist in reproducing it or share specs/data...

From the amount of responses to this issue while annoying it seems pretty rare overall.

You gotta understand that there are no steps to reproducing this. For me it happens after I leave most missions without any kind of discernable reason. No difference between one mission to the next. After I leave my Dojo, or a Relay, anything like that and it'll creep up half the screen.

Try using different display settings to make it happen. It really is just that simple. If it doesn't happen to you, either you aren't paying attention when it happens, or you lucked out on either your display config or your hardware, where it just doesn't happen. Here are all of the settings I believe are pertinent. I use 3 monitors, all 1440p. main screen is 165hz, the other two are 144hz and 60hz. Windows settings are pretty standard, and I have an RTX 2080ti

My UI settings are added as images. I have spoiled them so as to make them less of a pain in the butt.

Even if you can't figure out why this is happening and fix it, that's not even really the issue. We need a way to lock chat entirely anyway. It's the only movable UI element, and it shouldn't be a huge ask for an option to lock the chat box to a designated corner, Might even lead you to why it keeps happening in the first place, and maybe it will just give us the bandaid we need to make this not a problem in the short term.

Video Settings

Spoiler

kXZHH34.jpg

UGCPLME.jpg

Qk2tVUN.jpg

YMUU6EY.jpg

Interface settings

Spoiler

0Uq4FJE.jpg

z32Ba68.jpg

xe1U1W2.jpg

EDIT 1: I also have tried several different settings, including reverting to "Legacy" on the Menu Scale option. It still happens. I can't really do anything about my hardware, and if my windows settings are the cause of the problem in this game, then it's still a problem for this game because none of the other three dozen games I've played in the last few months has done this to me.

Edited by Fuze_Zero1
Edit was noted, no other changes besides the Edit paragraph.

Same, since about Duviri release.

Display settings:
 Windows mode: borderless fullscreen
 Resolution: 4K
 Refresh rate: 144Hz
 Vsync: ON
 Show framerate: Yes
 Upscaling: DLSS(Balanced)

Social / Chat:
 Chat scale: 200
 Text size: Medium

10 hours ago, Fuze_Zero1 said:

I use 3 monitors

This reminds me, in case it's relevant - I also have 3 monitors, if it's possible a multi-monitor setup is contributing to this issue. Mine are (from left to right):

• 3840x2160 (rendered at 1920x1080, only supports HDMI 1.3 input and I keep it at 60Hz), no scaling applied
  • 1920x1080, 165Hz, no scaling applied (monitor that Warframe is played on)
  • 1080x1920 (vertical monitor), 60Hz, 125% scaling in Windows

I'm doubtful it is though, this seems like a bug that's independent of scaling and monitor settings, given it's happening to people across such a wide variety of hardware with all sorts of different settings (resolutions, scaling methods and %s, D3D APIs, physical monitors, GPUs / hardware, etc.). I'd find it very hard to believe that no one at their dev studio has encountered this issue given how frequent it is (and how this isn't the first time it's happened from a patch), so it should be pretty straightforward to troubleshoot the UI elements like this in a debugging setup (or at the very least add logging for it to the evolution engine on the public PC build, if it cannot be reasonably reproduced in house, so player reports have additional info that can assist better).

I understand this might be more time investment than they can provide for a bug of this scope right now (it's a rather minor inconvenience compared to crashes or flashing lights that can cause seizures or something), but I'd prefer that just be the answer provided rather than "it's rare" - the TWW looping bug is rare too, but that doesn't make it any less annoying or severe (and it also gets reported weekly, usually on Discord but sometimes on forums). I think most people are probably just getting impatient because it's been almost 6 months of this, so while it started off as minorly annoying, having to move your chat window like 20+ times a session for weeks is going to really become a nuisance after a while.

So, Borderless mode this is still a problem, but by changing to Fullscreen the issue was solved for me. Others should try it out and see if that works for them as well.

Now if the problems with the game crashing if you tab out during a loading screen while using Fullscreen mode were also fixed, everything would be perfect.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Lt._Luc said:

So, Borderless mode this is still a problem, but by changing to Fullscreen the issue was solved for me. Others should try it out and see if that works for them as well.

Now if the problems with the game crashing if you tab out during a loading screen while using Fullscreen mode were also fixed, everything would be perfect.

When I play fullscreen mode, window mode, when I start a multiplay mission as a client rather than a host, I get a bug where the chat box is pushed to the corner.

Again, even if this problem occurs in the state of a particular operating system, or in certain computer hardware, it will not be enough to say a few times that it can only be thought of as a defect in the client program.

I have tried windowed and borderless windowed. I refuse to use Fullscreen.

So is this going to be like the rest of the bugs that have been plagueing this game for the better part of a decade or are we going to get some kind of response besides some boilerplate "give us reproducible steps" - it's called playing the game. It will just happen to you. Do that once in awhile maybe?

• Like 1