Jade Shadows: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Third party softwares. (AlecaFrame specifically)

Hi.

So I wanted to know if getting a precise answer on the potential danger of using AlecaFrame, is possible.

Yes, i already read this " https://support.warframe.com/hc/en-us/articles/360030014351-Third-Party-Software-and-You " and multiple other discussions, but none really answer the question "can I use AlecaFrame now ?"

I discovered it not too long ago and it felt like i found the thing that was missing in the game; like the thing that would make me delete my warframe notes .txt lying somewhere in my files and all the screenshots i never went back to, just because it has a really nice way of showing what you have and what you don't have in your inventory without counting part by part ingame.
And then I remembered it's a third party app, and a lot of games have problems with those which is understandable.
So now i spent some time looking up stuff and i don't really know if this: https://prnt.sc/QAeOXpP6GP29 means that there was some "agreement"/talking between the devs and overwolf meaning they took measures, or it just means nothing and I will still lose my account if something ever goes wrong.
Main thing i understood is, use it at your own risk because maybe there will be a change and it will cause your account to be instantly banned. But what about now ?

So what I would like, is a straight forward answer about right now, if things don't change, what happens to AlecaFrame users ?

TL;DR: is there a possibility to get a: "Yes, you can use the app" or "No, if you use it, you will be banned" type of answer to clarify everything ?

Ty for reading :)

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Crunchy-Biscuit said:

TL;DR: is there a possibility to get a: "Yes, you can use the app" or "No, if you use it, you will be banned" type of answer to clarify everything ?

There are yet to be any record of someone getting banned for using AlecaFrame, but keep in mind that it doesn't mean it's impossible

• Like 1

As far as I know, you wont get banned for using AlecaFrame as long as it functions normally. If a bug occurs, that interferes with gameplay in a major bad way, you might get banned. But that isnt likely to happen and AlecaFrame is actually supported by the WF devs as far as I know.

• Like 1

On 2023-07-06 at 4:47 PM, Crunchy-Biscuit said:

Hi.

So I wanted to know if getting a precise answer on the potential danger of using AlecaFrame, is possible.

Yes, i already read this " https://support.warframe.com/hc/en-us/articles/360030014351-Third-Party-Software-and-You " and multiple other discussions, but none really answer the question "can I use AlecaFrame now ?"

I discovered it not too long ago and it felt like i found the thing that was missing in the game; like the thing that would make me delete my warframe notes .txt lying somewhere in my files and all the screenshots i never went back to, just because it has a really nice way of showing what you have and what you don't have in your inventory without counting part by part ingame.
And then I remembered it's a third party app, and a lot of games have problems with those which is understandable.
So now i spent some time looking up stuff and i don't really know if this: https://prnt.sc/QAeOXpP6GP29 means that there was some "agreement"/talking between the devs and overwolf meaning they took measures, or it just means nothing and I will still lose my account if something ever goes wrong.
Main thing i understood is, use it at your own risk because maybe there will be a change and it will cause your account to be instantly banned. But what about now ?

So what I would like, is a straight forward answer about right now, if things don't change, what happens to AlecaFrame users ?

Ty for reading :)

I remember there being a post and there were 2 things I remembered seeing. 

1. DE has no affiliation with Alecaframe. 

2. Warframe person or something said it was alright assuming you don't do anything prohibited iirc, might have to find the thread to verify.

Edited by (XBOX)Upl0rdYT
  • Like 1

IIRC DE's stance with things like that, just like macros, is to "use them at your own risk". It's all technically in violation of DE's terms but they don't seem to keen on enforcing them if it's not causing any harm. But, again, it's at your risk as at any point it could be deemed a problem and you'd have no recourse or say otherwise.

• Like 3

Le 10/07/2023 à 03:59, Harloq a dit :

It would just be nice to have someone from the DEV team to just say "This one is OK".

That is what i hoped for when I posted this. 
Just a dev. that might tell us if we're able to use it now or not.

Am pretty sure they already have an answer for that because they surely have some directives/instructions on whether or not they should ban a player based on what third party software they use; it's also dumb to think that they don't already have a set precise answer on this topic, because that would mean even the devs are unsure whether to ban players or not when they find one using AlecaFrame.

So if a dev. is reading this, it would be cool to just tell us what's the current situation with the software is. Did the EULA changes affect anything about it ? And would you yourself ban a player right now if you knew they used AlecaFrame ?

Edited by Crunchy-Biscuit
  • Like 2

On 2023-07-09 at 10:59 PM, Harloq said:

It would just be nice to have someone from the DEV team to just say "This one is OK".

They can't (and shouldn't) do this because of the complexities this introduces, with their changing game and changing external software; they'd need a team to validate and confirm every single release to ensure the third party software is still in compliance. This also opens the doors to controversy if it starts doing stuff it shouldn't and people get bapped, because now someone can point back to dev comments and go "you said it was fine here!" when it's just referring to that single instance of software at that point in time on that build.

Third party software / external tools will always be use at your own risk, and I wouldn't start to presume otherwise regardless of who says it's "OK to use". Software and their interactions are complicated and sometimes messy, especially across such varied hardware and devices.

• Like 3

36 minutes ago, Tiltskillet said:

There's this:

I'm not at all suggesting it resolves the issue.   Take it for what you will.

Community mods aren't DE, though. Unless they're speaking for DE in a legal capacity I wouldn't treat their statements any different than any of the other community speculation. Best bet is to ask support directly for an official answer and report back with what they say.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, PublikDomain said:

Community mods aren't DE, though. Unless they're speaking for DE in a legal capacity I wouldn't treat their statements any different than any of the other community speculation. Best bet is to ask support directly for an official answer and report back with what they say.

Right, thus the disclaimer.

• Like 2

Il y a 17 heures, Naroxas44 a dit :

when it's just referring to that single instance of software at that point in time on that build.

This is the reason i kept repeating myself multiple times in the post about this part, for example here:

Le 06/07/2023 à 21:47, Crunchy-Biscuit a dit :

but none really answer the question "can I use AlecaFrame now ?

And here:

But what about now ?

And also here:

So what I would like, is a straight forward answer about right now

The answer am looking for is one about the single instance of software you're referring to, so that in case of any changes, I will be the only responsible, and only one to blame if I ever get banned. Right now if I use it (which I avoid doing now since the EULA thing) and get banned for it, I would honestly kinda feel like there was a lack of clarity because "use it at your own risk" actually serves no purpose. Reading that did not really add or remove anything to my uncertainty but just got me a little more paranoid.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Crunchy-Biscuit said:

I would honestly kinda feel like there was a lack of clarity because "use it at your own risk" actually serves no purpose.

Not for you, no, but for DE. This kind of wording may not be satisfactory for you or me, but it means that DE can immediately react if anything in a piece of software changes from being benign to interfering with the game in any way, and this without the need to change anything in the rules and without the need of establishing a relationship with some third party software in the first place. It's quite common practice to handle these matters this way. Pretending that some things don't exist as long as they don't disturb is often the best course of action.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, Crunchy-Biscuit said:

The answer am looking for is one about the single instance of software you're referring to, so that in case of any changes, I will be the only responsible, and only one to blame if I ever get banned.

That's how it's currently enforced, for any third party software. That's what "use at your own risk" is. The EULA changes related to this basically read the same as they have prior. Like Turjan said, I do not see a direct response happening to this because then everyone will want one for every piece of software in a similar manner (i.e. ReShade, WFInfo, etc.) when it all just follows the same rules of sole responsibility. If you're that worried about it I'd recommend just not using it, all these tools tend to offer is convenience and there's tons of other ways to do what they do (I keep a notepad open for most of my stuff).

I've stated this earlier (like in another thread) but AlecaFrame is built on Overwolf, and their software is proprietary; I've no idea how it gathers the data it does (I'd presume it uses either OCR or logs, but it's not open-source so I can't verify), but DE did have talks with them to ensure they're EULA compliant last year. That does not guarantee that won't change and it'll continue to be use at your own risk, but apparently people do use it without issues (like that post skillet linked). If you want to take that as the answer you're looking for then that's fine, just do whatever you think is best and as long as whatever you're using is not used with malicious intent you'll probably be fine.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Crunchy-Biscuit said:

The answer am looking for is one about the single instance of software you're referring to, so that in case of any changes, I will be the only responsible, and only one to blame if I ever get banned. Right now if I use it (which I avoid doing now since the EULA thing) and get banned for it, I would honestly kinda feel like there was a lack of clarity because "use it at your own risk" actually serves no purpose. Reading that did not really add or remove anything to my uncertainty but just got me a little more paranoid.

If someone from DE responded you'd likely get nothing more than a more wordy repeat of what has already been said here.

Unless DE officially partners with Alecaframe it'll remain in the "at your own risk category". If you don't like that uncertainty then don't use it.

They've gone through the same rounds with the macro problem and have given a sort of "soft approval" of using them only to overcome physical limitations. But that still came with exceptions (they can't "play the game for you") and even with the "use them at your own risk" disclaimer.

• Like 1