Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Ambassador really needs a Buff, Incarnon or Tenet

Zahnny

I was looking through my Arsenal for a fun or different Primary that I don't really use and came across the Ambassador. I had got it as part of the Sisters of Parvos Riptide Pack from a few years ago that included an exclusive Tenet skin for it. Figured I'd give it a go since I hadn't used it since maxing out its Mastery.

And...yeah...It's not even a case of "It's a bad weapon in modern warframe" but more the fact it was just bad on release too.

The rifle's whole gimmick is being able to transform from an assault rifle into a sniper rifle by switching it with Q, similar to weapons like the Fulmin.

And while the Assault Rifle part is fine. That's sort of the problem, it's a weapon that only does decently as an assault rifle, rather than its whole secondary feature.

It has a base Reload Time of 2.6 seconds and switching between modes forces a reload which is dictated by your Reload Speed to switch, even if you're at full ammo.

That's already pretty terrible as it actively discourages you from switching between modes mid-combat unless you focus on high reload speed, but say you want to just stay in Sniper mode. Well, you shouldn't.

The Sniper Mode has a 1 second charge time before firing which already hurts combat flow. Acting like it wants to be an Opticor except worse than the Opticor in most aspects. Every time you fire in Sniper mode it consumes 48 ammo, which is a lot but let's see how that compares to its magazine size of...96...But I'm sure it must have some redeeming factor like punch through- Oh. It doesn't have Punch Through. It does have 6m AoE but considering what's been discussed already. I think Punch Through would have been a better choice.

Yeah, you can only fire the Sniper mode twice, which also takes a 1 second charge per shot before having to reload again for 2.6 seconds. And while the max ammo is around 1000 (counting magazine with full reserves) that still doesn't excuse it.

What also doesn't help matters is that there is already a weapon that behaves exactly like the Ambassador but superior in every way, and that's the Quellor.

And this isn't even getting into the Farm that it takes to obtain, so I'm glad I unintentionally skipped it.

Overall, the Ambassador is one of the coolest looking and sounding weapons in the entire game but it's sacrificed all its value for cosmetic charm than gameplay function.

P.S. I know DE would just remove the Assault Rifle mode but it'd be nice if we could take it into Sniper sorties

Edited by Zahnny

Here's some changes I'd make for a Buff/Incarnon

Q/Alt Fire no longer switches between modes. To switch modes you reload. Meaning that you are forced to play both modes. This also opens the door for an Incarnon Mode to use the new Alt Fire space.

Reload Speed is given an 80% buff, making it take 1 second to reload.

For 5-10 seconds after switching into Sniper mode you are given a 75% Ammo Efficiency buff, effectively giving you 8 Shots if you choose to engage with the Sniper but if you choose to switch weapons or are sloppy you lose out. I know it's possible to just reduce the amount of Ammo being consumed per shot permanently for the Sniper mode but I feel like this would make players want to actively engage with the Sniper part.

1 hour ago, Zahnny said:

And while the Assault Rifle part is fine. That's sort of the problem, it's a weapon that only does decently as an assault rifle, rather than its whole secondary feature.

Worth mentioning that  Multishot doesn't work on the radial damage portion of sniper mode, a common issue with hitscan AoE.

• Like 3

Even the assault rifle mode isn't anything to write home about in SP. It's night and day between the Ambassador and the Tenora Prime, Incarnon Braton Vandal or the Kuva Quartakk which also happen to come with a "sniper" alt-mode that is instant, packs a lot more punch, and is insanely more economical ammo-wise. Hek, I'd argue that the Tiberon Prime 3 bullet burst is a better pseudo-sniper mode. It's a pity because as you say, the Ambassador really looks and sounds the part. I sunk a lot of forma into it, but it's very very meh right now.

Edited by FishMcCool
  • Like 2

Never saw the point in the Ambassador

I can just equip an Opticor/Vandal primary, with a Rattleguts (or other auto pistol) as secondary.

and achieve superior functionality vs the gimmick

swapping between primary/secondary is way faster than the Ambassador's mode switch

plus I get separate ammo pools for each, and the option to use Holster Reload perks.

• Like 2

I'm rooting for buff. Same with various other things which are particularly difficult to obtain relative to their MR requirement such as Sibear. I think their overall power should match their difficulty to obtain, while having a lower MR requirement as a way to allow newer players something strong to go for, if they feel prepared to do what it takes to get that thing in the short term.

Edited by TheReaverOfDarkness
  • Like 1