The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Warframes Reworks Should Be Events

Aearie

The Hydroid rework looks really fun and I'm excited to try him it out! That said, one thing I wish he was getting with it is some lore so I can feel invested in him. Moreover, I think a bit more pomp and circumstance to a rework would get more people interested in trying out that warframe. So with that in mind, here are some additions that I think would help make reworks feel more like events!

1. Reworked warframes should get a Leverian or some lore added to their codex entry

A Leverian would really sell the "eventness" of a rework, especially if we could find Prex cards in them like the others. That being said, if a Leverian isn't feasible, a nice alternative would be to add lore to the warframe's codex entry, similar to Mag or Rhino Prime.

2. Reworked warframes should be featured in the new Update History Screen

This screen shown off in the dev workshop is a fantastic addition and a perfect means to show off a warframe rework! I think a section that shows how to acquire the warframe alongside, say, directing them to a new Leverian or codex lore entry, would really be helpful in getting people to try the rework, especially for newer players who might not know how to get them.

3. Reworked warframes should get new skins

Hydroid's deluxe skin is incredible and I'll be using it a ton when his rework comes out. That said... I also bought that years ago when it came out. Since reworks take a lot of dev time, I think it makes sense for new deluxe skins, bundles, and Tennogen to come out alongside a rework.

And those are my suggestions, let me know what you think!

33 minutes ago, Aearie said:

1. Reworked warframes should get a Leverian or some lore added to their codex entry

Too much work just for a rework and DE will likely not add it, If you want lore, check the Prime Stuff.

2. Reworked warframes should be featured in the new Update History Screen

They do, it's called the Update Screen itself, just gonna find it, there isn't gonna be some special spot, just for a rework.

3. Reworked warframes should get new skins

Not all reworked frames should be given a skin, just "because" and DE are likely not gonna use resources on such.

Edited by Circle_of_Psi

3 minutes ago, Circle_of_Psi said:

Not all reworked frames should be given a skin, just "because" and DE are likely not gonna use resources on such.

TBF, DE *does* often release skins alongside a tune-up or rework because the increased hype from positive changes to the frame will result in more skin sales... that's more of a thing the other way around though: frames get a skin and to generate a bit more excitement, DE also makes some positive tweaks to that frame.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, SDGDen said:

TBF, DE *does* often release skins alongside a tune-up or rework because the increased hype from positive changes to the frame will result in more skin sales... that's more of a thing the other way around though: frames get a skin and to generate a bit more excitement, DE also makes some positive tweaks to that frame.

They should really time prime resurgences to align with reworks for relevant frames as well. 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, SDGDen said:

Maybe, but nothing was shown or said in the devstream, so..

1 hour ago, sunderthefirmament said:

They should really time prime resurgences to align with reworks for relevant frames as well. 

Yea it's weird to me that they don't do this. If DE wants to see an uptick in players using reworked frames then they should be making the frame more readily available after the rework update for a while.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Aearie said:

A Leverian would really sell the "eventness" of a rework, especially if we could find Prex cards in them like the others. That being said, if a Leverian isn't feasible, a nice alternative would be to add lore to the warframe's codex entry, similar to Mag or Rhino Prime.

You know, for such a game driven with lore and story, I am surprised to find out that some frames don't have any lore with them. It doesn't have to be very detailed and extensive, just a description of about the frame's history, what they did originally do before, and maybe why they were made in the first place.

7 hours ago, sunderthefirmament said:

The last time a Warframe got a proper rework before this Hydroid one was Grendel, and before that, I don't even know if Prime Resurgence was added yet to be honest. It feels like eternity prior to Grendel where a Warframe got a rework tackling their entire kit while preserving the concept and theme of what was originally added. I can't even remember who was properly tuned before Grendel. Most of what we have seen is just tweaks or fixing up recent releases in the roster.

Edited by Voltage

4 hours ago, Voltage said:

The last time a Warframe got a proper rework before this Hydroid one was Grendel, and before that, I don't even know if Prime Resurgence was added yet to be honest. It feels like eternity prior to Grendel where a Warframe got a rework tackling their entire kit while preserving the concept and theme of what was originally added. I can't even remember who was properly tuned before Grendel. Most of what we have seen is just tweaks or fixing up recent releases in the roster.

His prime never existed until now, so Hydroid maybe will be setting the precedence. Regardless if Hydroid appears in the upcoming prime resurgence, I'd say it's about time because I never saw him appear there since.

On 2023-09-30 at 11:37 AM, sunderthefirmament said:

This is such a good idea, I wish I had thought of it myself! Having a prime resurgence along with the rework would be awesome.

On 2023-10-01 at 2:31 PM, Birdframe_Prime said:

Look, guys, girls, everyone in between...

It's hard enough to get Reworks in the first place.

Don't pile on requirements on top.

That's extra work and extra incentive to not do reworks.

While admittedly the request for a Leverian or a lore entry is more wishful thinking on my part, I believe the other requests are pretty reasonable. Further, my suggestions are meant to make reworks more worthwhile, rather than less.

I won't be surprised if Hydroid's rework gets mentioned in the update screen for Abyss of Dagath, since that just makes sense. I mostly added that request for completeness (and because 3 is a magic number).

And I would think the addition of a skin along with the rework would add an incentive to do the rework than not. Especially if the timing of the rework fit with the timing the skin would have been introduced anyway. For example, one of the Voidshell skins being released in the next update could have been for Hydroid. I understand that this will lead to more work in content planning, but my argument is that the additional work would be worth it.

55 minutes ago, Aearie said:

Further, my suggestions are meant to make reworks more worthwhile, rather than less.

Misunderstanding: Not worth less for us. Less incentive for DE.

Pablo, and confirmed by the official statements from DE on the following DevStream, made it known that there's little incentive for them, as Devs, to do Reworks to frames. They still do them as-and-when inspiration strikes, but they don't see anywhere near the kind of player engagement that they get for introducing new things.

So my response to your ideas is that putting more requirements, more requests, onto reworks by making events and new skins is just going to make it less likely they release a rework. Those things (events and skins) are other, separate lines of work already that DE do at their already existing pace, they're from two different teams within DE and they don't have to interact at all to get their work done. If they have to produce skins and events with every rework, ditching progress on one skin to make one for that specific frame, or ditching work on a Quest in order to put together Event content, that just adds to workload that they don't currently need to do.

And... let's be honest, DE already release reworks to frames at the same time as full updates. And with those updates we usually get Quests, a new Frame, and other actual updates.

To be completely clear, the Leverian is actually the easiest thing to do out of the lot, because half the player base (let alone DE's writers) can throw together a mini-adventure from the Lore in about ten minutes that could fit a Leverian entry. They bring in the one VA for the job for a single recording session, and mock up the diorama using the copy-paste existing objects they already have for the game. There's no new sculpting needed, like for a skin, and there's no complex design needed, like for an event. They even have (by now, if they're anything like a normal professional studio) the exact audio mixing and ambience for the Leverian so they can streamline the process.

What you're asking for is more work for DE at no actual payoff.

1 hour ago, Aearie said:

I won't be surprised if Hydroid's rework gets mentioned in the update screen for Abyss of Dagath

I'm fairly sure that other people have said this in the thread already; the update screen in general is getting a 'wayback machine' style of function. Not only will Hydroid's rework be there in the update screen, you'll be able to read the last six sets of updates (or more) in that screen if you click the button.

So... basically, you've asked for a feature that's already being released, two things that you're not going to get because it's not worth it to DE to change their schedules and then given up on the one thing you could actually get. Since people will buy skins whether they're synched to a rework or not, and events are actually really complicated and they would rather make sure the Quest mission for the next update get done, meanwhile the Leverian is stupidly easy to produce.