The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

SP Fragmented One boss fight: actually good.

Skoomaseller

On 2023-12-16 at 6:06 PM, (PSN)Joylesstuna said:

Did it earlier today(the 60 eye challenge one). There are 0 mechanics to engage with and it's just a bullet sponge. Yet another lame boss from DE.

I'm still working on it, but I had it down to literally nothing and died, and because no revives modifier, sucks to suck. Anyone who thinks this is engaging should try it the meta way, run Octavia. Her 1 works on the boss, her invisibility keeps the adds from targeting you, you just have to jump over the boss' laser beam attack, and run around in circles when it shoots the light show at you. None of its other moves are a threat, using weapons is pretty much pointless since it can only take a fixed amount of damage in a second, so you might as well just make the fight a six minute game of simon says. I'd rather fight the Archons. At least using my Kuva Hek is something special.

7 hours ago, (PSN)blakfayt said:

using weapons is pretty much pointless since it can only take a fixed amount of damage in a second, so you might as well just make the fight a six minute game of simon says

It's actually worse than that.

People on reddit have discovered that the bosses adaptation works based on framerate.

Limit yourself to below 30 FPS and it becomes a rather fast fight.
Limit yourself to below 10 FPS and its over in a few seconds.

It's literally the original archon fights all over again where low framerate equals faster kills.

7 hours ago, (PSN)blakfayt said:

run Octavia. Her 1 works on the boss

Why am I not surprised to learn this?

Edited by Tsukinoki
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Tsukinoki said:

It's actually worse than that.

People on reddit have discovered that the bosses adaptation works based on framerate.

Limit yourself to below 30 FPS and it becomes a rather fast fight.
Limit yourself to below 10 FPS and its over in a few seconds.

It's literally the original archon fights all over again where low framerate equals faster kills.

Why am I not surprised to learn this?

yeah I just saw the post lol

Sadly my PC can't handle Warframe anymore. I was solo halfway through the final health bar of the boss when too many eximus and particles started spawning and filling the screen and the PC just restarted by itself. Before, that used to happen only when I spent several hours inside an endurance mission, but then with Zariman it started happening if I went inside the angel arena while in a squad (solo it's ok) but now in Whispers it's happened a few times already, even with all graphics on low. Guess it's time to upgrade if I ever want to finish this boss. 

12 hours ago, (PSN)blakfayt said:

Anyone who thinks this is engaging should try it the meta way, run Octavia.

I think the only reason to fight 60 eyes is for the fun, so you should in fact *not* run Octavia or limit your FPS.

• Like 1

On 2023-12-17 at 2:49 AM, (XBOX)C11H22O11 said:

I liked the boss but collecting the 60 eyes was really tedious, I would fight it again to test some stuff against it but really don't want to go through the eyes every time to fight the cool boss

I agree with pretty much all of this thread -- I enjoyed the boss fight, but I have to facepalm at the attenuation being framerate based (though it doesn't surprise me, given how game logic often works) -- but especially this part. Because if the quirky bits (like the framerate-based damage attenuation) were addressed, I would love it if there was a slightly faster way to spawn that fight.

For instance, I'd love if there was a way to increase the number of eyes spawned per "seek" to speed up that phase, perhaps by opting-in to an increased difficulty of that phase. Maybe say the shielding on the vitreum unit lessens the scan potency due to mild interference. Thus, you can remove the shielding on the vitreum units to let them have a larger seek radius or 'spot more eyes' or whatever lore explanation suits (effectively, increase the number of eye spawns), but the lack of that shielding means enemies can damage and destroy the vitreum scanner rather than merely temporarily blinding it, forcing you to get a new atropos probe and find a new vitreum scanner.

Edited by Packetdancer

10 hours ago, Traumtulpe said:

I think the only reason to fight 60 eyes is for the fun, so you should in fact *not* run Octavia or limit your FPS.

Posts like mine are important because all I've seen outside of niche circles is people saying "This is the best boss DE has ever made! This should be the standard going forward!" If damage attenuation tied to frame rate with a time-gated start-up (collecting the eyes), that leads into a game of Simon Says (jump the laser, duck the upper laser, jump again, run in circles to avoid the homing attack, strafe the slam, etc) is what people on here call FUN, I don't know how you've been playing THIS game for the past 10 years. This boss sucks, it doesn't feel like Warframe, it takes out everything that's FUN about Warframe for the sake of giving people who have everything a cheesy sense of difficulty. If this is what people want normal content to start being like, I would like those people to leave, because I don't want this game to stop being enjoyable.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, (PSN)blakfayt said:

... leads into a game of Simon Says (jump the laser, duck the upper laser, jump again, run in circles to avoid the homing attack, strafe the slam, etc) is what people on here call FUN, I don't know how you've been playing THIS game for the past 10 years. This boss sucks, it doesn't feel like Warframe, it takes out everything that's FUN about Warframe for the sake of giving people who have everything a cheesy sense of difficulty. If this is what people want normal content to start being like, I would like those people to leave, because I don't want this game to stop being enjoyable.

Simon says? I mean, that's just how bosses work in the vast majority of action games. You react to their attacks 🤷‍♂️ That's how certain WF bosses used to work in the past before power creep and ridiculous cheese power started to allow us to bypass all game mechanics with button presses. Take Kela in Sedna for example before operator gave us on demand invulnerability. The Fragmented boss can still be cheesed as well, you just need to move a tiny bit more than usual. This boss is fun as heck, but it's not meant to replace normal content, it's just, as you said, a hard mode secret boss to give players that have everything a little extra difficulty. Blows my mind how people love to praise WF parkour and movement, but seem to hate any combat that requires you to parkour a tiny bit more instead of just standing still. 

• Like 4

11 hours ago, --END--Rikutatis said:

Simon says? I mean, that's just how bosses work in the vast majority of action games. You react to their attacks 🤷‍♂️ That's how certain WF bosses used to work in the past before power creep and ridiculous cheese power started to allow us to bypass all game mechanics with button presses. Take Kela in Sedna for example before operator gave us on demand invulnerability. The Fragmented boss can still be cheesed as well, you just need to move a tiny bit more than usual. This boss is fun as heck, but it's not meant to replace normal content, it's just, as you said, a hard mode secret boss to give players that have everything a little extra difficulty. Blows my mind how people love to praise WF parkour and movement, but seem to hate any combat that requires you to parkour a tiny bit more instead of just standing still. 

A) I have seen people asking FOR this to REPLACE normal content. I have seen people saying SP should be basically default at this point. The sweaty try hards annoy me.

B) The boss follows a set pattern. I don't mind reacting to a boss, I mind that it does A B C D and that pattern becomes abundantly clear if you use a frame like Octavia and can just watch the boss.

This game is not Devil May Cry. The action is too simplistic and combat too manic with hundreds of enemies at a given time. This is a shooter, this is closer to Borderlands. BL bosses are generally just "nuke it." Not really complex affairs. Any attempt at being an "action" game left when they reworked melee inputs to stop using pauses, and more so when they let you hold a button to melee. This is a horde shooter.

• Like 1