Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

New War help

(NSW)butthulu

Question

I'm having a really hard time with The New War. I agreed to play through it with no qualms about it being unquittable at first, and for the first couple quests I had fun! I liked being able to play different factions, I liked the story. But I had no idea that there was a railjack section (I didn't look anything up before starting, because I didn't want spoilers). I never really got into the railjack, so I never upgraded it a single bit, and I'm deeply unfamiliar with how it handles. I keep dying no matter how much time I spend trying to pass the quest. I'd really love to play the game again, but I simply don't know how to get past this section. It's getting to the point where I've experienced legitimate despair over this, because I love this game and I've spent a lot of money on it. Do I just... have to delete my account, and all my progress, and start over from the very beginning? Is there anything I can do?

(Additionally, please let me know if this belongs in another section of the forum. I'm very new to forums in general, and to this forum specifically.)

• Like 2

15 answers to this question

the mission is scripted and you can't fail, I've replayed the quest with a bog standard stock railjack and restrained myself to not sprint so just pressing W to simulate no intrinsics. It is absolutely possible to finish the quest this way. you just have to ignore the fighters and keep moving forward to the big glowing thing at the end. If you hull reaches zero screen fades to black and you respawn so it might take a few attempts (I think I died 3 times on my stock replay)

• Like 2

Another case of miserable playthrough due to a bad and stupid lock systemm. When will DE finally do something about it? This guy was legit ready to delete his account just so he could play the game normally again. Wake up!

Edited by MaxTunnerX
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, (NSW)butthulu said:

But I had no idea that there was a railjack section (I didn't look anything up before starting, because I didn't want spoilers).

To be clear here, ive done alot of railjack having upgraded mine to be the best it can be, and I died the first two times i did that part. Its not an issue of power, its mechanic based. Make your way towards the big ship, use rubble for cover. You shouldnt need to do anything special.

16 minutes ago, MaxTunnerX said:

Another case of miserable playthrough due to a bad and stupid lock systemm. When will DE finally do something about it? This guy was legit ready to delete his account just so he could play the game normally again. Wake up!

The vast majority get through it fine. Theres only a minority of people who have a hard time with it, so its probably not worth changing right now. The whole thing can be done in less than 5 hours.

16 minutes ago, MaxTunnerX said:

If you actually paid attention to what the OP said then you'll actually realise that OP agreed to hit the button that tells OP, you'll be locked in the quest. Still, no you decided to make it some puppy killer move by DE by calling it "bad and stupid" and also the "Wake up!" at the end, you honestly, truly believe that DE is not aware of this, or are you just that mad about it?

6 hours ago, (NSW)butthulu said:

I agreed to play through it with no qualms about it being unquittable at first

2 minutes ago, chaotea said:

The vast majority get through it fine. Theres only a minority of people who have a hard time with it, so its probably not worth changing right now. The whole thing can be done in less than 5 hours.

Most of the people who can't get through it are players who are too reliant on their, press 4 to kill frames or haven't actually played the game at all and decided to jump into the quest without thinking.

I will admit, the New War should mention that a Railjack and Nercamech is required to play, as a extra bit of heads up, but even then, players will still come here and complain 

4 minutes ago, Circle_of_Psi said:

Most of the people who can't get through it are players who are too reliant on their, press 4 to kill frames or haven't actually played the game at all and decided to jump into the quest without thinking.

Not sure thats true. I think the majority are people who havnt really engaged in systems like railjack, only doing what was needed to get to the quest. As such when they fail, they think its because they are underpowered. Most of those who are more experienced quickly realise that any failure must be due to game design instead.

6 minutes ago, Circle_of_Psi said:

I will admit, the New War should mention that a Railjack and Nercamech is required to play, as a extra bit of heads up, but even then, players will still come here and complain 

I think it does already.

What it probably needs is a note to say that only basic versions of these things are required to beat the quest.

I simply typed The New War into the forum search box and over 45 pages of topics.

Everything that was discovered and all the solutions to the problems players were having were posted. simply use the search and find the help that is there rather than delete an account to go back to regular missions or asking that the game event be changed.

in my mind only 25% of things were actually new and at least 75% of the solutions were already in the base regular game. We just need to remember.

the archons took me ages till I simply remembered not to go rushing in and trying to smash them but simple things like running backwards and shooting over my shoulder is an easy example for how I killed the wolf.

Edited by johnno23

6 minutes ago, chaotea said:

Not sure thats true. I think the majority are people who havnt really engaged in systems like railjack, only doing what was needed to get to the quest. 

Well, quite simply it is and at the end of the day, it's their own fault for "only doing what was needed to get to the quest"

10 minutes ago, chaotea said:

As such when they fail, they think its because they are underpowered.

Again, their own fault

11 minutes ago, chaotea said:

Most of those who are more experienced quickly realise that any failure must be due to game design instead.

Bad players always blame the game.

Good players find a way to combat the problems they face

It's like complaining that your microwave is broken because you decided to nuke your food, rather then follow the instructions on the back, "must be bad design" 

57 minutes ago, Circle_of_Psi said:

If you actually paid attention to what the OP said then you'll actually realise that OP agreed to hit the button that tells OP, you'll be locked in the quest. Still, no you decided to make it some puppy killer move by DE by calling it "bad and stupid" and also the "Wake up!" at the end, you honestly, truly believe that DE is not aware of this, or are you just that mad about it?

Wow, just wow. Are you ignoring the point on purpose or by accident? Because the point is, that this thing shouldnt even be a thing in the first place. Besides, what other choice did the OP have? None. Either write whatever the devs want you to write and confirm, or never play the quest. And I cant stress this enough, or maybe I can actually, NONE OF THE OTHER QUESTS WORK THIS WAY. Literally no reason to make 1 out of million quests do this crap and screw the players over.

Edited by MaxTunnerX

Don’t delete your account. Start a new one and put at least a speed booster mod on the RJ which I think will make it easier. Then get yourself a decent amp, it doesn’t have to be great, but better than the free ones. Do the quest to familiarize yourself with the mechanics. Then go to your main account and do it as you’ll see it’s a lot easier even with basic gear. I personally like my two accounts as I get to try different ways to build and play with only a few frames for the alt account. May not be for everyone and don’t ever make the two accounts interact with one another or DE might ban you. Good luck.

Edited by MutoManiac

1 hour ago, johnno23 said:

The archons took me ages till I simply remembered not to go rushing in and trying to smash them but simple things like running backwards and shooting over my shoulder is an easy example for how I killed the wolf.

I had problems with the Owl since I decided to him first and the only reason why I had a problem was due to his Scream, which healed him and he had long-range attacks, but soon I was able to time it correctly, roll into his bubble, when he was ready to heal, just did that on repat until he died.

1 hour ago, MaxTunnerX said:

Wow, just wow. Are you ignoring the point on purpose or by accident? Because the point is, that this thing shouldnt even be a thing in the first place. Besides, what other choice did the OP have? None. Either write whatever the devs want you to write and confirm, or never play the quest. 

Nope, the point is quite clear and simply put it, it is the Player's fault each time.

The OP had plenty of choices to NOT to the quest until they were prepared for the quest and they are the ones who fully agreed to play through it with no qualms about it being un-quitable, this isn't a bad game choice, this isn't DE's fault, nor is it "Bad game design"

This is all by and large the Player's fault

28 minutes ago, Circle_of_Psi said:

Nope, the point is quite clear and simply put it, it is the Player's fault each time.

The OP had plenty of choices to NOT to the quest until they were prepared for the quest and they are the ones who fully agreed to play through it with no qualms about it being un-quitable, this isn't a bad game choice, this isn't DE's fault, nor is it "Bad game design"

This is all by and large the Player's fault

Its bad deisgn that there even is such a thing as the lock (it does nothing anyway). And yes, OP could have waited until he was ready, but guess what, theres no way to tell when youre ready! If you dont look up quest specific info on the internet or from palyers and only rely on what game tells you, you have no idea when youre ready, so you always have to roll the dice. Its a scam more than anything, an illusion of choice and responsibility.

Edited by MaxTunnerX

11 hours ago, EDM774 said:

the mission is scripted and you can't fail, I've replayed the quest with a bog standard stock railjack and restrained myself to not sprint so just pressing W to simulate no intrinsics. It is absolutely possible to finish the quest this way. you just have to ignore the fighters and keep moving forward to the big glowing thing at the end. If you hull reaches zero screen fades to black and you respawn so it might take a few attempts (I think I died 3 times on my stock replay)

That is a HUGE relief to hear! Thank you so, so much. The hull reaching zero was definitely what I was encountering, and I couldn't get past the very first section where you're supposed to destroy the sentients. To know that there's a way through is very much a light at the end of the tunnel for me.

9 hours ago, chaotea said:

Not sure thats true. I think the majority are people who havnt really engaged in systems like railjack, only doing what was needed to get to the quest. As such when they fail, they think its because they are underpowered. Most of those who are more experienced quickly realise that any failure must be due to game design instead.

I think it does already.

What it probably needs is a note to say that only basic versions of these things are required to beat the quest.

6 hours ago, MaxTunnerX said:

Its bad deisgn that there even is such a thing as the lock (it does nothing anyway). And yes, OP could have waited until he was ready, but guess what, theres no way to tell when youre ready! If you dont look up quest specific info on the internet or from palyers and only rely on what game tells you, you have no idea when youre ready, so you always have to roll the dice. Its a scam more than anything, an illusion of choice and responsibility.

I appreciate all your support on this topic, both of you, as it feels very validating to have my fear and anxiety about being stuck echoed in your posts. It helps me feel like I'm not alone!

I also agree with Psi and chaotea on the matter of listing the things necessary for the quest; I think that the issue of "poor design" could be very easily fixed by having a list of what gear/upgrades/ships you need for the mission instead of making it quittable. The only issue I had with the unquittable aspect of it was that I was afraid I was legitimately stuck up S#&$ creek without a paddle. I do genuinely understand WHY it's unquittable, at least from a story standpoint; it puts the solar system in a state that's kinda anathema to normal gameplay. I enjoy the story and I enjoy the fact that it changes the game so drastically, I was just really afraid and stuck.

8 hours ago, MutoManiac said:

Don’t delete your account. Start a new one and put at least a speed booster mod on the RJ which I think will make it easier. Then get yourself a decent amp, it doesn’t have to be great, but better than the free ones. Do the quest to familiarize yourself with the mechanics. Then go to your main account and do it as you’ll see it’s a lot easier even with basic gear. I personally like my two accounts as I get to try different ways to build and play with only a few frames for the alt account. May not be for everyone and don’t ever make the two accounts interact with one another or DE might ban you. Good luck.

I definitely didn't want to do this. I've spent way too much time on this game to WANT to make a second account, especially if it meant I'd get banned from playing the game entirely. I do appreciate the advice, though.

7 hours ago, Circle_of_Psi said:

I had problems with the Owl since I decided to him first and the only reason why I had a problem was due to his Scream, which healed him and he had long-range attacks, but soon I was able to time it correctly, roll into his bubble, when he was ready to heal, just did that on repat until he died.

This is good, actionable advice, which I am grateful for. I look forward to putting it into action. Thank you!

9 hours ago, johnno23 said:

I simply typed The New War into the forum search box and over 45 pages of topics.

Everything that was discovered and all the solutions to the problems players were having were posted. simply use the search and find the help that is there rather than delete an account to go back to regular missions or asking that the game event be changed.

in my mind only 25% of things were actually new and at least 75% of the solutions were already in the base regular game. We just need to remember.

the archons took me ages till I simply remembered not to go rushing in and trying to smash them but simple things like running backwards and shooting over my shoulder is an easy example for how I killed the wolf.

I did mention that I'm very new to forums. I had no idea that there was a search function! Still, thank you for letting me know it's there, and that this topic is so heavily explored and discussed. I'm hoping it'll be a big help with finding advice on other parts of the quest. I also thank you for the advice on the archons!

As an aside, I'm really disappointed and kind of disturbed by the "git gud" approach to addressing anyone's problems that I've seen both here and in other places on the forum (since I did browse and try to find help before posting this thread). It's really not helpful or constructive, and it often just makes people feel resentful towards the people who say it instead of actually yielding any sort of positive results. I've had really good experiences with the Warframe community before, so it's a bit of a shock to encounter this kind of thing. :(

Regardless, thank you all for responding to my question! I am glad to have gathered such a wide range of opinions on, and insights into, this topic, and I feel like I can finally move forward, which is the BIGGEST relief. Thanks to the advice about the archons (I look forward to finding out what those are, with a name like "ruler" it sounds very intriguing), I even feel like I'm a bit better prepared for the next parts of the quest, which makes me very very happy.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, (NSW)butthulu said:

I did mention that I'm very new to forums. I had no idea that there was a search function! Still, thank you for letting me know it's there, and that this topic is so heavily explored and discussed. I'm hoping it'll be a big help with finding advice on other parts of the quest. I also thank you for the advice on the archons!

Happy that the info was helpful to you.

searching thru the past forum threads might seem daunting but I am sure that as you progress in the event each and every time you encounter an issue where you need help or do not understand a particular strategy to deal with an enemy or objective I suggest you just reach out to the forums with a help request and state what the issue is people will help.

For example "how to I kill the Wolf in the New War" I would make a new post/help request for each issue as then it is generally a quicker route to getting the desired assistance and possible links to a detailed guide etc. 

And as for the "git gud" I can agree with you 100% as that is not an answer as too often it has nothing to do with ones ability in game but more often an issue of not grasping what was meant or that a player simply misunderstands the methodology to reach an objective.