Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Warframe subreddit is but a toxic sludge.

Wauchi

I know that reddit doesn't contain the most positive of personas. But I feel like brushing off subreddit's user behavior as "redditors being whinny" is really doing a disservice to the situation. I've played this game for 6 years straight, and this community contains the most sympathetic users from my experience. Which is why I hold it dear to my heart. And why it also saddens me to see the utter brewing toxicity within the game's subreddit. I hear people say "oh it's just redditors being redditors", but I've participated in other gaming communities like League of Legends and Overwatch; renounced for their in-game toxicity. And I can say that their subreddits are nowhere near as toxic as Warframe's. I worry that soon this same toxicity will start to leak into the in-game community, if it hadn't already.

I don't understand how could such a positive game with nice users, have this toxic of a subreddit.

Edited by Wauchi

4 hours ago, Wauchi said:

I don't understand how could such a positive game with nice users, have this toxic of a subreddit.

This is probably an Xbox thing, but there's always been like, 3 groups,
You got the people in region, they're okay I guess,

You got the people who say absolutely nothing, and if they do, it's either trade chat, or whatever,

And finally, there's alot of Xbox people on warframe over the past 10-11ish years that I've seen that are not the greatest, they're either so self assured that they have to belittle anyone else, or they're directly hateful to others. There's some that try to bait you by going "new player that needs help" then they instead like to go off on tangents and are really LR rank players who have nothing better to do than make fun of players who'd join in, expecting to help new players with the game. I can't really talk about being under another clan leader, since I've only ever had one, and he gave me his clan when he retired from the game a bit before fortuna dropped, so he was a nice guy, but I've talked with other clan leaders from one of my friend's being constantly recruited by these types of xbox clans led by people who have a desire to mock and demean anyone. Last one that I heard about from friend guy, said he'd call the cops and sue me over me talking about how I don't like his attitude to other people, plus other threats of "I have a gun" and "I can get ur IP" and further threats that don't mean much over the internet, because like, yeah, good luck. I mean, besides me going out of my way to help people and being kinda laissez-faire with my clan leadership (which is pretty much, just a "hey I'd like you guys to help donate to decos but you aint gotta since we have everything researched" since well, we've been kinda ontop of that since 2016.) there's not really a big experience I've had with players that haven't been negative, or kinda just apathetic towards. (Atleast till crossplay, where the groups at times can feel a bit more lively, not that I'm saying people need to type or talk! Just that, like, it's just a blank experience with a twist of negativity because the vocal ones are the negative ones most of the time.) 

18 hours ago, Wauchi said:

Broadly speaking, it's very easy for sub-reddits to become literal echo-chambers due to one primary factor, which is that Reddit's upvote/downvote system increases the visibility of popular posts and can entirely hide unpopular posts.  In theory, the idea is supposed to be that "good" posts will get popular support and be raised up, while "bad" posts will hidden so they don't bother anyone.  And some of the time in some communities, this is indeed how it works.

However, in practice, it's far too common for this system to simply create a "majority perspective" that upvotes itself and stomps out any "minority perspectives".  For example, it's pretty common to find sub-reddits for specific games where the majority on the board is hardcore players who believe the game should only be played a very specific way and that any deviation from that is incorrect.  Thus, posts that align with the majority perspective get raised up and other perspectives get swept under the rug.  Which in turn creates a sort of stasis-inducing feedback loop, as users with other perspectives see that their posts disappear and realize it's pointless to keep engaging with the board and leave, making it unlikely that minority perspectives will ever accumulate to the point where they become a majority, thus maintaining the status quo.

Thus, I vastly prefer the normal forum structure of having a linear series of posts with upvotes to indicate support, as well as paid moderators to weed out genuine ToS-defying toxicity.  This way, everyone has the opportunity to be heard, and in turn that means that everyone has the opportunity to experience a diversity of perspectives and thus has the chance to learn, grow, and share.  It makes such a difference.

• Like 2

21 hours ago, Wauchi said:

I'm genuinely not sure what you mean? I'm on both the forums and reddit nearly daily and I find them both to be equally toxic at times. I actually find the subreddit to generally be more polite and helpful. 

At the moment, the Dante changes are dominating the reddit, and either you're for it, or against it, which seems similar to the forums?

Outside of the recent upheavals, the subreddit is mostly people asking questions and getting answers (even when most questions could probably be answered via the wiki).

I've often felt the forums are slightly more toxic, simply because there seems to be the same core users driving the conversations, and sometimes that can lead to others being drowned out. I don't notice that on the subreddit.

Edit: I do also agree with what @UnstarPrime mentioned about the up/down votes. When there is a divisive issue, it can be difficult to get a constructive conversation happening on reddit. But I find that's just as likely on the forums too, it just plays out a little differently. 

Edited by (PSN)iuvenilis

I think reddit is like anywhere else: some good, some bad, that said I only go on Helldivers 2's subreddit, but it's like anywhere else on the internet, a melting pot of every possible opinion from the intelligent to the dumb as hell, for the wholesome to the toxic, and everything in between.

• 2 weeks later...
On 2024-04-06 at 1:30 AM, (PSN)iuvenilis said:

I'm genuinely not sure what you mean? I'm on both the forums and reddit nearly daily and I find them both to be equally toxic at times. I actually find the subreddit to generally be more polite and helpful. 

At the moment, the Dante changes are dominating the reddit, and either you're for it, or against it, which seems similar to the forums?

Outside of the recent upheavals, the subreddit is mostly people asking questions and getting answers (even when most questions could probably be answered via the wiki).

I've often felt the forums are slightly more toxic, simply because there seems to be the same core users driving the conversations, and sometimes that can lead to others being drowned out. I don't notice that on the subreddit.

Edit: I do also agree with what @UnstarPrime mentioned about the up/down votes. When there is a divisive issue, it can be difficult to get a constructive conversation happening on reddit. But I find that's just as likely on the forums too, it just plays out a little differently. 

the forums are nicer in my experience since the forums account is tied to your warframe account, but reddit is just filthy a lot of times, i think the forums and reddit can be toxic, while the people actually playing the game in chat are almost NEVER toxic, the warframe community in social media(forums included) and the actual in game communtiy are very different in toxicity levels