The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Need advice for the Vox Solaris Quest

(NSW)RoseOfDisdain

Question

I suck at this game. Just gonna start with that. And please don't ask if  I've tried to "suck less", because the answer is yes and I might implode if I see that again.

I have absolutely zero problems up until I have to defend the drone, at which point I maybe last 30 seconds before I'm swarmed by enemies I can't hit (because they're in the bloody sky and I can't aim for S#&$) and quickly find myself incapacitated despite my entire loadout (except my rank 24 melee) being maxed out. I can't unlock the Mercury junction, Mar junction, or an Archwing until I complete the quest, but I can't complete the quest because I'm confused, angry, and, again, probably one of the worst gamers in history.

Literally any advice (except "suck less") is appreciated, thanks in advance, I'm gonna go cry now.

19 answers to this question

So, it being solo and early on, your options are kinda limited.  You probably only have your starter Warframe and maybe Gara or Hydroid from Earth by now, right? 

Without knowing the specifics, I'd say stay mobile so your shields can recharge, and when you have a hard time using your guns (which is natural and normal) try to rely more on abilities which are a bit easier to aim.  Depending who you have, Mag and Volt have some AOE abilities that you can use to neutralize multiple enemies at a time, and Excalibur's Radial Blind might help to keep them from shooting you (you may have to move around to keep all the enemies from surrounding you).  Try to solve this fight with abilities and melee, and only use your guns for when you have a sure shot lined up. 

(The mods you have equipped aren't the "damaged" variants, right?  The stats on those are really bad so it might seem like they're helping but they really aren't.)

12 hours ago, (XBOX)ShadowBlood89 said:

can you tell us the gear loadout your using

Ash, Rank 30

Paris, Rank 30

Kunai, Rank 30

Ceramic Dagger, Rank 24

Shade, Rank 30

Burst Laser, Rank 30

My friends sent me Ash and Shade, and I bought the dagger blueprint with Nightwave Creds

9 hours ago, Caerith said:

So, it being solo and early on, your options are kinda limited.  You probably only have your starter Warframe and maybe Gara or Hydroid from Earth by now, right? 

Without knowing the specifics, I'd say stay mobile so your shields can recharge, and when you have a hard time using your guns (which is natural and normal) try to rely more on abilities which are a bit easier to aim.  Depending who you have, Mag and Volt have some AOE abilities that you can use to neutralize multiple enemies at a time, and Excalibur's Radial Blind might help to keep them from shooting you (you may have to move around to keep all the enemies from surrounding you).  Try to solve this fight with abilities and melee, and only use your guns for when you have a sure shot lined up. 

(The mods you have equipped aren't the "damaged" variants, right?  The stats on those are really bad so it might seem like they're helping but they really aren't.)

I literally only have Volt and Ash ;-; but I'm in the process of building Rhino

It might not be your aim being bad so much as it's just harder to shoot long-distance enemies with projectile weapons in general. Bows and thrown-secondaries have travel time, you might benefit more from hitscan weapons where the bullets hit instantly.

There's the matter that Ash isn't really a defense frame, but defending the drone should normally be possible without any super hardcore defensive abilities, as long as your kill output is high enough

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Caerith said:

Gara would make defending the drone very easy mode but unfortunately for OP, that requires being able to finish the 20-40 bounties, which is probably not going to be possible at this point without squad carry. Damaged mods are also discontinued. Rest of this advice is sound though. I'll also second @Pakaku's notion of trying some hitscan weapons, but if your options are Volt/Ash the rest of this is going to come down to how well your mods are leveled up.

Volt has a defensive ability with his 3rd, but it's not going to be good enough to defend on its own without very good energy generation you won't have access to later in the game. Your best bet right now is to try and kill them steadily before they can do significant damage to the drone, but if you can't manage it with Volt/Ash, when Rhino is finished building I'd look at your clan dojo and find medium/large energy restores. Building and deploying enough of them should help you use Stomp often enough to cheese the drone segment.

Craft some WF specters and use them to help you. Blueprints are from rescue missions. If you have any specters from the syndicate store or surviving visits from other syndicate death squads, you can use one of those at the same time as a frame specter. I'd also suggest getting a faster firing rifle of some kind for a little spray and pray instead of needing to use accuracy with the Paris where a miss is more of a problem.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SymbolicSunshine said:

Damaged mods are also discontinued.

Oh, good to know.  (Shows you how long it's been since I did this mission.)

1 hour ago, Pakaku said:

Bows and thrown-secondaries have travel time, you might benefit more from hitscan weapons where the bullets hit instantly.

Agreed, something with a higher fire rate than a bow would also be good.  Bows are good for situations where you can control the momentum, but OP's stated that they're fighting on their back foot just trying to survive, and for that they'll want something they can panic fire. 

2 hours ago, (NSW)RoseOfDisdain said:

I literally only have Volt and Ash ;-; but I'm in the process of building Rhino

Rhino will help immensely, not just with this but with many of your future endeavors.  His tankiness helps you not worry about dying so much, which lets you focus on objectives. 

Good luck.

I would recommend using Volt's first ability, he's who I used to finish that quest ^^

(P.S while they're being electrocuted, they enter a stun state, use this to your advantage and shoot them while you have the chance!)

It's also better to stun with your first ability and then use your melee if it is a high rank / level :)     (try to get the enemies grouped up)

• Like 1

First off, all the previous comments are good. I started out as a bow user as well because it seemed so cool, but that was a serious mistake, because they both fire slowly and arrows have travel time.  It works great if you are playing stealthy missions and sniping enemies from a long distance, but for close-range crowded missions, the bow is a disaster.  Also daggers are also generally bad in this game.  Surprisingly slow for little weapons that should be fast combined with generally low damage. Your entire load-out is primarily single-target.  It's little wonder you're being overwhelmed. 

I'm assuming since you're still on Venus that you're still rather new to this game.  One mistake that I made in my early game was not understanding the importance of modding my warframes and weapons.  Modding was already mentioned but jI wanted to reiterate the importance of modding to your build.  Just because you have a max level warframe/weapon, doesn't mean the warframe/weapon is doing the most it can if you haven't invested some time checking to make sure your mods are appropriate for the warframe/weapon.  Also consider dropping in a forma on any warframe (or weapon) that is your current "main", and re-level it, to make space so that you can get more/better mods in. The investment will be so worth it to reduce the frustration of struggling to survive or do enough damage.

I've never played Ash (because his parts are such a pain to farm), but I think his second/third skill does some crowd control.  Consider all the tools in your arsenal when trying to accomplish an objective.  Ash's smokescreen should keep enemies off you, but I don't think that will keep them off the drone.  Volt's first ability is nice to stun enemies, but I think it's a single-target skill.  For mass crowd control, proccing electricity status on enemies is great because it stuns them temporarily, but you need something that zaps lots of enemies to keep them off you and the objective rather than just one by one.

Finally, you are fighting Corpus in this quest, so make sure you're doing the appropriate damage that will ignore their shields (ie. toxin damage). Damage type was something else I didn't "get" early on.

I apologize if this is all very basic to you and you already know all this, but I too am a not-great-gamer and after blazing through some of the early content I found myself struggling soon after.  Some stuff isn't emphasized to new players but it's stuff that will ultimately transform your experience in this game. Hope some if this helps, because this game was really frustrating to me until I learned and practiced the above.

• Like 1

to @(NSW)RoseOfDisdain,

For drone protection, you need to stall enemies. Ash is really at disadvantage for this (I play Loki as starter, Defense was hell until I get Frost)

• Volt and Rhino Ultimate with efficiency is the key.
  • You may need a lot of Pizza (Energy pad restore x20 mini) to spam those abilities.
  • You can Also call for help with Tenno Specter : it will distract some enemies (get them in rescue mission after killing all yellow gardians).
  • You can Also call for help with Specter : Suda's Shield Drone x20 can replenish the Defense-Drone at full. Even as a MR30, I can fail a mission if the drone shield is down. You make it stationary or use another one each time the Shield is very low (insta refill).

9 hours ago, RLanzinger said:

You can Also call for help with Tenno Specter : it will distract some enemies (get them in rescue mission after killing all yellow gardians).

You get a specter blueprint just from the mission itself*. Higher level missions, killing all of the yellow wardens, and getting the prisoner out of the cell without an alarm can all boost the star level of the blueprint, but even a 1 star will help the OP greatly.

*I forget which, but some special rescue missions don't give you a BP. Sortie, syndicate, or nightmare. I forget which. But normal ones always do.

On 2024-06-07 at 10:52 PM, Caerith said:
On 2024-06-07 at 9:09 PM, SymbolicSunshine said:

Damaged mods are also discontinued.

Oh, good to know.  (Shows you how long it's been since I did this mission.)

No they are not. They are available at the vendor in Iron Wake for credits.

1 minute ago, Zakkhar said:

No they are not. They are available at the vendor in Iron Wake for credits.

Technicality 🙄

They aren't given to starting players anymore and there's no reason to buy them unless you're a collector. There's especially no reason to use them.

11 hours ago, SymbolicSunshine said:

there's no reason to buy them unless you're a collector. There's especially no reason to use them.

Wrong again. 

Flow is prime example. 

https://warframe.fandom.com/wiki/Flow

Max ranked Flawed Flow offers +72% energy for only 5 capacity. Normal Flow offers +33% energy at 5 capacity.

If you have some leftover capacity on a frame you do not plan to forma using Flawed Flow over unranked Flow is nobrainer.

This case (max ranked Flawed mods being more efficient than unranked/low ranked Normal mods) is true in almost all cases. In some cases it is equal.

9 hours ago, Zakkhar said:

Wrong again. Flow is prime example. 

https://warframe.fandom.com/wiki/Flow

Max ranked Flawed Flow offers +72% energy for only 5 capacity. Normal Flow offers +33% energy at 5 capacity.

If you have some leftover capacity on a frame you do not plan to forma using Flawed Flow over unranked Flow is nobrainer.

This case (max ranked Flawed mods being more efficient than unranked/low ranked Normal mods) is true in almost all cases. In some cases it is equal.

Let me make this real clear since you seem to be confused. At the credit cost of each mod, which ranges from 10-30,000 credits per mod depending on rarity, there is no situation where the benefit of acquiring such a mod outweighs the "cost", both of acquisition and investing into leveling it up. A new player does not have any spare resources to waste in the first place, and they are  completely obsolete once you have a regular version of a mod and the space for a difference of 3 capacity, which is almost immediately. You can gain 3 levels on a warframe on a single meso-fissure level exterminate mission without a booster. If you are not a new player, you further have no reason to use the mod because you have access to better options (sticking with your example, the Flow and Primed Flow mods) and the means to implement them without worrying about space restrictions.

Flawed mods are a waste of a mod slot, 100% of the time. Don't give OP bad advice. DE removed access to these mods for new players for a reason. In other words... They are discontinued.

Go with Volt. Use your 1 and your 3. Pick up your shield immediately and use it as a shield and shoot through it to increase damage killing faster. On your gear wheel, add a humanoid spectre, if you have one, and employ it immediately. Give the spectre a hitscan weapon when you build it so its AI will shoot stuff more accurately than you (you said you suck at aiming). Heck if you have a humanoid and a different type such as a roller spectre, shield osprey, ancient healer, etc use both. You can't use two of the same type though so keep that in mind not to waste one

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, SymbolicSunshine said:

Let me make this real clear since you seem to be confused. At the credit cost of each mod, which ranges from 10-30,000 credits per mod depending on rarity, there is no situation where the benefit of acquiring such a mod outweighs the "cost"

Credits are unlimited. Anything that costs credits is free. Endo is a bit rarer but after you play the game enough also become pretty meaningless (as most loot tables past half-game are dilluted with endo).

A new player does not have any spare resources to waste in the first place, and they are  completely obsolete once you have a regular version of a mod and the space for a difference of 3 capacity, which is almost immediately.

You keep talking about new player experience, yet in your initial two statements did not use such distinction. You used absolutes. 

You can gain 3 levels on a warframe on a single meso-fissure level exterminate mission without a booster.

And that is supposed to do what? I am talking about max rank warframe that may or may not have potato (I use Flawed Flow on both potatoless and potatofull frames).

Flawed mods are a waste of a mod slot, 100% of the time. Don't give OP bad advice. DE removed access to these mods for new players for a reason. In other words... They are discontinued.

I am not giving anyone any advice. I merely contradict your statements. Difference of 3 capacity is whether you fit the mod that does something or leave the slot empty. It may be alternate (B) build you do not want to forma differently because it will change your (A) build, it may be a potatoless frame you want use for Circuit (and your customised build is stille better than what they offer as Default). Or it may be something you just gonna rank up and forget.

It may be waste of mod slot for you, personally. But it is not for me. Hence not 100% of time. 

Edited by Zakkhar

You technically do have the tools to do it, though how you do it will vary depending on your choice of frame.

Volt: His 4 can basically just stun and kill everything in a large area. Use it when you get swarmed and it will relieve the pressure and kill most enemies. For best effect, make sure to mod for ability range - there is a mod called "Stretch", which you may already have and which gives you 45% extra. If you don't have it, you can get from some Cetus bounties.

Rhino: His second ability, Iron Skin, will make you borderline immortal at this point in the game, especially since it prevents status effects and enemies who inflict electric status are generally what gets new players killed a lot in this quest. Just activate it when you get in trouble and you'll have a lot more time to kill everything.

Ash: You can execute enemies at range with his 4, which requires less accuracy compared to shooting.

Your weapon choices unfortunately mean you're not well-equipped against flying enemies as they're projectile based. Since levelling up weapons and warframes is how you improve your Mastery level to unlock stronger gear, I recommend you pick up a new primary and secondary weapon so you can keep on levelling. Since you were able to build the Ceramic Dagger, you're at least Mastery Level 3, which means you could get for example the Karak, Burston or Braton rifles as a new primary and the Furis (for which you already have the blueprint since you got to Venus) or the Lex as a new secondary pistol (there's a few more options, I just picked the ones that were hitscan).

Thank you to everyone who recommended I use Volt and a gun! I cleared the quest a good while ago and am now progressing through the outer planets (Volt works wonders on Jupiter), and while I still suck, I do indeed suck less.

• Like 2