The Lotus Eaters: Known Issues ×

Status effects no longer using energy colors

I'd like to bring this up again now that the old posts are gone, I'm not sure why this was changed but it's a change I really dislike.

- Having status effects always use their default color interferes with Fashionframe, which is obviously a major downside.

- It also means you can no longer tell at a glance which enemies are primed with what status effects. I use a hound to prime enemies, and now I can no longer tell if an enemy is primed or just hit by any radiation proc (which kind of served as a secondary tell before). As it stood you could tell from the colors who applied the status and from the particles what status effect was applied, which I found rather convenient.

I'm not sure why this change was made, but I am very much in favor of reverting to status effects using the energy colors of the weapon/frame they were applied with.

Edited by Alpha545
  • Like 4

It was useful to have a specific colors on weapons effects for things like Heat Inherit to be able to recognize at a glance if an enemy was properly set on fire with your primer and/or in my case by my sentinel and his clones from Duplex Bond (with a %heat riven). I like doing that with my Protea during stationary or endless missions to optimize my Blaze Artillery: i can go back and forth across tiles, letting my sentinels' clones set everything ablaze behind my back so i can simply shoot things without thinking. Still work fine, but i am less aware of what i'm doing…

Devs claimed it was to prevent confusing other teammates (especially new players) during multiplayer missions. But they could have made it so that the status effects colors were only visible client-side in order to please everyone.

Unrelated but it would also solve a really REALLY annoying problem that i have with my Sevagoth: my Gloom colors always being override by another player's Gloom. This is SO ANNOYING to end up with an ugly swirl at your feet (how many time i ended up with people using sh*t-brown or p*ss-yellow for their abilities colors?) and always having to recast Gloom to override it again -_-

Edited by Yulfan
  • Like 3

6 hours ago, Stafelund said:

I have a feeling something broke with the status overhaul update and energy colors, probably had something to do with the new effect associated w/ magnetic.

It's actually in the Jade Shadows patchnotes as an intended change:

"Status Effects no longer inherit Energy Colors, so players can more easily identify when an enemy is affected by a Status Effect."

For me at least, it actually achieved the opposite effect and removed a level of customization that I enjoyed.
Would be nice if it were a glitch to be fixed :(

• Like 4

6 hours ago, Alpha545 said:

It's actually in the Jade Shadows patchnotes as an intended change:

"Status Effects no longer inherit Energy Colors, so players can more easily identify when an enemy is affected by a Status Effect."

For me at least, it actually achieved the opposite effect and removed a level of customization that I enjoyed.
Would be nice if it were a glitch to be fixed :(

I see, I wasn't around when this change was implemented so I appreciate the heads up, there were a bunch of changes in the damage types and certain elements gained new effects, so I thought they would be related.

But yeah, this change had the opposite effect and for me, some of the effects are too similarly colored which doesn't help when enemies are far away.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Stafelund said:

But yeah, this change had the opposite effect and for me, some of the effects are too similarly colored which doesn't help when enemies are far away.

Yes, that's also an issue, if an enemy is even a little distance away, radiation, heat and maybe toxin procs visually overpower pretty much everything else. If you could tell from the color of the procs who or what applied it, then your knowledge of your build could give you more information about what procs have been applied, but yeah, I'm sort of repeating myself :p

Edited by Alpha545
  • Like 1