The Lotus Eaters: Known Issues ×

I'm gonna throw out my limbs here and say New Players should have more starting slots.

The initial decision to have the starting slot of 2 WF and 8 Weapon slots are made in 2013 where there were only 8 frames and 20-ish weapons. Now we have 50+ frames and 600+ weapons, it's a good time to give new players more bones to work with.

I would go ahead and say to have 8 Warframe Slots and 20 Weapon Slots.

Edited by Twilight053
  • Like 13

18 minutes ago, Twilight053 said:

The initial decision to have the starting slot of 2 WF and 8 Weapon slots are made in 2013 where there were only 8 frames and 20-ish weapons. Now we have 50+ frames and 600+ weapons, it's a good time to give new players more bones to work with.

or increase starting plat from 50 to like 200 (cannot trade).

• Like 2

1 hour ago, quxier said:

or increase starting plat from 50 to like 200 (cannot trade).

It will definitely offer new players much stronger flexibility in the early game and that's also good, but that still runs the risk of new players spending platinum on non-slot items which might lead us back with having 2 WF slots and 8 Weapon slots being too restrictive.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Twilight053 said:

It will definitely offer new players much stronger flexibility in the early game and that's also good, but that still runs the risk of new players spending platinum on non-slot items which might lead us back with having 2 WF slots and 8 Weapon slots being too restrictive.

yeah, nothing is perfect

Remember the old exclusive Starter Slot Bundle ? I think it was for 45pl, or 75pl, can't remember or find the right pricing. Still was fire :

Complete Starter Slot Bundle

• 2x Warframe Slots
  • 2x Weapon Slots
  • 2x Companion Slots

Edited by dwqrf
  • Like 4

10 hours ago, Twilight053 said:

That and do something with the timers of crafting - if not for everyone, at least for new players. Imagine you are a casual gamer, you can play in the evenings and weekends - you farmed mats/BPs of new shiny warframe and the craft time is 0.5+3 days, which means you cannot really play it till next weekend. Most people just quit.

Edited by Zakkhar
  • Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

I wholeheartedly agree that more starting slots would be one of the most beneficial things DE could change to get new players playing longer.  Nightwaves usually give extra weapon and warframe slots, but not nearly enough for the duration that they run and what all the new players in our clans and alliance are always looking for is a way to try out other warframes and weapons without having to sell so many.  Duviri has been moved to Saturn Junction, but by that time, I see a lot of new players already trying to do a balancing act of what do I get rid of so I can try this other thing.

I also agree with the sentiment above in that giving additional starter plat WOULD NOT be good because new players don't realize they need those slots more than speeding up build times in the Foundry or buying a hundred other things available in the market that fall in the 40 plat and under category.  Giving additional starter slots versus increasing starter plat is definitely the better choice for helping new players make good decisions.

DE would determine the right number of slots, but I think 6 Warframe slots is probably a better number (because of Nightwaves) and agree that 20-ish weapon slots is probably about right.  There's so many weapons that require holding on to make other weapons, it's nice to have a little extra storage to work with so you don't sell something you need again in 1-2 MR levels.  I play on multiple accounts and have run through the new player experience twice from scratch in the past year to experience this for myself.  (My two lowbies are current MR 11 and MR 8.  My main account is LR1 atm.)  A big challenge for me was more being able to acquire and use the right warframes for the moment.  (I prioritized getting certain things for farming, for completing certain mission types, for helping maximize low level damage so I could keep pushing through the star chart, etc.)

Keep in mind that not having the slots is also a reason a lot of people spend real money to get packages, whether it's Prime Access, or lesser Bundle Packages that include one or more warframes/weapons, the items obtained from those packages increase inventory slots if someone levels and sells the items (or subsumes).  DE needs to get paid too, so they don't want to discourage people from spending real money, but there's a right number of extra slots here that would definitely keep new players playing longer and make them more likely to spend money in later game.

• Like 1

I for once think that more starting slots are just a paliative. A better approach is rewarding slots with mr rankings, and less crafting time while we are at it. It would make the player play more of the game, which in turn would make him want to get more of the game, this has already began by being rewarded in nightwave, so why not advance this MR Level?

We want the player to play the game, not for him to spend and get out.

Logically, both the slot purchase and the rush button on the forge will have to be gone, but they should not have existed from the beggining.

Fashion frame is were the money is

Edited by BigBadLenn
  • Like 2

Gonna repeat what has already been said but I agree. Limited weapon/Warframe slots for new players will be the elephant in the room of the New Player experience and no matter how much efforts DE put into it, as long as this is not solved many new players are going to run like hell, thinking their gameplay and efforts are gated behind limitations that REQUIRES that you spend money on it.

The first 2 Warframe slots will be pretty much spent early on if you farm the Warframe dropping from bosses: first on Rhino on Venus, second Excalibur/Mag on Mars/Phobos. New players won't even reach a third of the Star Chart that they will hit a paywall. Veterans of course knows better, but new players will be limited in sources of plat farming (which, by the time you reach Mars, will be Lith Void Relics farming ONLY, and that's even assuming said new players know about plat farming). There's 14 Warframes dropping from bosses on the Star Chart, the starting Warframe slots won't even allow them to get 5% of them (and that's assuming they picked Excalibur/Mag as a starter).

Give new players more slots overall, and you're gonna see that more new players will stay as they don't feel as restricted in their loadout choices, will learn to experiment with new weapons/Warframes (which, as far as I remember, was the goal of Duviri) and won't feel forced to spend money on the game before they can even reach Natah.

I mostly say that, because it was my own experience as a new player when I started playing. I spent real money on plat and I was not happy about it.

• Like 1

Personally I think it would be best to just remove the starting plat and give new players the slots. May as well remove the initial confusion on it being untradeable and stop them from spending it on something useless.

Edited by Katchowzki
added point
  • Like 1

I honestly think there should be a new quest straight after Awakening, called "Arsenal Up", basically a somewhat extended tutorial to introduces players to the more nuanced aspects of modding like Aura, Stances and Exilus slots, and at the end, rewarding players with an appropriate amount of weapon/warframe slots.

Optionally, give players 2x weapon slots, 1x warframe slot when completing each junction.

Edited by (XBOX)calvina
  • Like 1

This is something DE actually talked about in yesterday's Devshort!

The point they brought up (and I haven't seen anyone here mentioning it, nor the "Why do players quit" vid) - WF and weapon slots take up database space, which actually costs money.

That means accounts that join WF and then leave right after/never play, still take up database space... so, giving new players more slots straight-out is pretty risky.

However they did mention they're doing a ton of new player experience improvements in 1999 - and Koumei revealed its gonna release a bunch too.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, StarstruckPrime said:

That means accounts that join WF and then leave right after/never play, still take up database space... so, giving new players more slots straight-out is pretty risky.

What if the slots arent there right off the bat, but earned during base Starchrat/early Quest gameplay more easily. 

If they leave after and never play those slots are empty and do not take any database space. Also those are not Riven slots, where every riven is one of a kind.

Edited by Zakkhar
  • Like 2

On 2024-09-09 at 7:05 AM, Zakkhar said:

That and do something with the timers of crafting - if not for everyone, at least for new players. Imagine you are a casual gamer, you can play in the evenings and weekends - you farmed mats/BPs of new shiny warframe and the craft time is 0.5+3 days, which means you cannot really play it till next weekend. Most people just quit.

I watched the video and agreed with everything but would like to have a room for adjustments. I think its either we start off with 8 warframe slots and 20 weapon slots OR make very them attainable. I personally think the starting warframe slots are fine but I think we should get more as we rank up in MR not including night wave because thats to long work up to. Also with crafting times I think they should be long but not 3 days long. 72hrs crafts should reduce to 12-24hrs, 24hrs to 6hrs, 6hrs to 1hrs, and 1hr> to instant. I know people hate the wait time, as I do too, but I think this is a better compramise so DE can still get some revenue from impatient players which I'm ok probably because Im not impatient enough to even rush a 3 day timer even if it cost 10p.

Il y a 8 heures, StarstruckPrime a dit :

This is something DE actually talked about in yesterday's Devshort!

The point they brought up (and I haven't seen anyone here mentioning it, nor the "Why do players quit" vid) - WF and weapon slots take up database space, which actually costs money.

Are they saying that empty slots are still physically used in the database?

Number of empty slots available should be a freaking variable for each types of slots.

EDIT: The Devshort part talking about slots:

Edited by Quenquent