The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Digital Extremes Scamming Gamers: Outrageous Platinum Charges for Name Changes and Time Rushes 😡

58 minutes ago, Nesferion said:

I think that would be damaging to the authenticity of all players, I can't agree with that. It's simply silly. As I stated above.
I don't see what's your reasoning behind names being changeable at will. You can't do that in real life, why would you do that in a game?
There is a process which you need to undergo should you wish to change your real name. Don't forget, and it makes sense, there is a reason behind it.

Again, as I stated, names aren't tissue paper. People are remembered by their name and associated by their name. Whatever it may be.

So long it's not offensive and against the ToS and not violating any rule in general, it's good and the person is happy with it.

because real life and the internet should work completely the same

On 2024-09-14 at 6:40 AM, _Eclips3_ said:

The extra strict moderation is enough to discourage abuse. One harmless word in region chat and your 10+ year account with $1000 sunk in is gone to protect other peoples feelings. I don't think swapping names will help. It really should be free and only allowed once every 30 days like other games.

"worlds so woke now I can't say slurs anymore, who is it hurting they're just words!" Harmless words don't get you banned friendo

• Like 11

6 minutes ago, CephalonOlphus said:

"worlds so woke now I can't say slurs anymore, who is it hurting they're just words!" Harmless words don't get you banned friendo

Depending on how moderators take your words you most certainly can get bans, but i see your point.

Edited by (PSN)FrDiabloFr

On 2024-09-12 at 1:32 AM, NoobTubeNonsense said:

Digital Extremes out here charging 200 platinum for a name change like they're selling gold-plated usernames! I mean, I get paying for shiny cosmetics and those sweet heirlooms, but 10 bucks just to swap a name? That's a scam wrapped in a platinum bow.

In my experience, it tends to be rare to be able to change a name once you've picked one in an online game.  And of the games where you can change your name, I can't think of any where you can do it for free.  Because of that, I always put a lot of thought into the name I pick when starting a new account.

And in my opinion, there's a good reason why there should be an associated charge: name changes can be associated with activities that negatively affect the community, such as stalking and impersonation.  With the potential for abuse, there need to be countermeasures.  Putting a price tag on the operation reduces the likelihood that players will try to abuse the system, while also going a ways towards funding any overhead DE's team puts into vetting these name changes to try to pick out suspicious activity.  Personally, I'm for it.

On 2024-09-12 at 1:32 AM, NoobTubeNonsense said:

And don't even get me started on the rush charges—50 plat to speed up a 3-day item, but somehow 26 plat for a 4-hour job?

Personally, I'm not a fan of the rush model; in my ideal world, I'd leave the build times as they are but remove the option to rush.  I never pay to rush because it's not the kind of thing I'd ever pay for, and if it was as simple as choosing not to do it then I wouldn't have a problem with it.  The thing I don't like about pay-to-rush is that (whether intentionally or not) that model preys upon people with poor impulse control, and that includes a lot of people with mental disabilities.  I'd personally like the games I enjoy to be welcoming to such people, so I'm non-plussed that pay-to-rush is still in the game. I realize that DE does need to keep the lights on, but if possible I'd prefer they do it in a way that doesn't feel like it's targeting a marginalized demographic.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, proevilz said:

We have to be fair here and give credit where credit is due.

Warframe has possibly the most ethical monetisation system out of all games.

Can't really complain tbh.

Absolutely true, and not only is it fair, but it's also wise! Instead of being encouraging to buy and spend platinum on acquiring frames, instead of farming them, the market price is sufficiently high so as to not make the platinum spending on the warframes which can be found at the marketplace in game a common thing!

Digital Extremes incentivize playing over paying.
For that, among many other things they to well, they truly deserve respect.

Warframe monetization is phenomenal! 😎👍

• Like 1

On 2024-09-12 at 10:20 AM, (PSN)Magician_NG said:

Could be worse, DE's premium currency could've been untradeable.

Instead I gained 600p from trading two mods last week.

If you want to see an actual scam, I don't see DE out here with a $48k ship pack.

Yes but trading comes with risk of getting negative plat from a bad trade 

because someone is using 

A plat from a shady site 

or B chargeback plat 

in the case of A

DE could implement a system that when put in trade window it would scan the plat to see if it’s legitimate and insta ban if it’s not 

legitimate plat could maybe have unique coding that gets scanned

would definitely cut down the fake plat in circulation they could also go after the sites themselves and shut those down 

trading gives me anxiety every time I do a trade for plat

got a negative plat lockout years ago from a bad trade not sure if it was fake plat or if a buyer did a chargeback 

but it happens 

trades come with its own risks and downsides 

so definitely hold onto the plat or the same amount just in case 

It’s unfortunate this is even a thing 

but what can you do 

personally I very rarely trade for plat and prefer to just buy it to support DE from Xbox  psn or steam 

Trades too risky 

Edited by Ersedu
  • Like 1

40 minutes ago, Ersedu said:

because someone is using 

A plat from a shady site 

or B chargeback plat 

in the case of A

DE could implement a system that when put in trade window it would scan the plat to see if it’s legitimate and insta ban if it’s not 

would definitely cut down the fake plat in circulation they could also go after the sites themselves and shut those down 

got a negative plat lockout years ago from a bad trade not sure if it was fake plat or if a buyer did a chargeback 

but it happens 

but what can you do 

personally I very rarely trade for plat and prefer to just buy it to support DE from Xbox  psn or steam 

Trades too risky 

What you're suggesting isn't really possible. Platinum can't be "bad" until the chargeback happens. Which means that there is no way to know if plat is safe or not until the original purchase of it has elapsed the chargeback period which is usually two to four months.

And a two+ month hold on platinum isn't very practical. Plus putting a notification in-game telling you if plat is older than two months isn't wise either as it'll just scare players and not all banks/card companies have a two month hold.

Also "fake plat" isn't a thing.

Edited by trst

26 minutes ago, trst said:

What you're suggesting isn't really possible. Platinum can't be "bad" until the chargeback happens. Which means that there is no way to know if plat is safe or not until the original purchase of it has elapsed the chargeback period which is usually two to four months.

And a two+ month hold on platinum isn't very practical. Plus putting a notification in-game telling you if plat is older than two months isn't wise either as it'll just scare players and not all banks/card companies have a two month hold.

Also "fake plat" isn't a thing.

Still not any better as there’s really no way to protect oneself from this 

and so your stuck for 4 months with the risk of platinum being subtracted and potentially in the case of those unaware or that think they are safe getting a negative balance 

as I said before trading for plat is just far too risky 

and if you get negative balance your the one left holding the bill to pay back out of the red to access your account 

which is again why I very rarely trade anything for platinum and going forward will probably only trade items for items 

guess I was misinformed about the fake platinum it’s what I refer third party seller platinum as 

Edited by Ersedu

33 minutes ago, Ersedu said:

Still not any better as there’s really no way to protect oneself from this 

and so your stuck for 4 months with the risk of platinum being subtracted and potentially in the case of those unaware or that think they are safe getting a negative balance 

as I said before trading for plat is just far too risky 

and if you get negative balance your the one left holding the bill to pay back out of the red to access your account 

which is again why I very rarely trade anything for platinum and going forward will probably only trade items for items 

guess I was misinformed about the fake platinum it’s what I refer third party seller platinum as 

It's not that risky. Plus there's the plethora of ways to protect yourself from this ever happening or being a risk to your account. Like maintaining a minimum balance, not trading with minimum trade requirement/suspicious accounts, avoiding suspicious trades, etc.

And I guess you could call RMT plat to be "fake" but with how cheap platinum is I'd suspect most, if not all, is just people trying to launder money from stolen cards/info thus it's the same as the chargeback issue. And RMT is a huge ToS violation anyways, at which point the plat is forfeit anyways as the offending accounts would just be banned if found quilting of engaging in RMT. Region hopping could account for it too but again falls under the RMT issue.

Edited by trst

4 minutes ago, trst said:

It's not that risky. Plus there's the plethora of ways to protect yourself from this ever happening or being a risk to your account. Like maintaining a minimum balance, not trading with minimum trade requirement/suspicious accounts, avoiding suspicious trades, etc.

And I guess you could call RMT plat to be "fake" but with how cheap platinum is I'd suspect most, if not all, is just people trying to launder money from stolen cards/info thus it's the same as the chargeback issue. And RMT is a huge ToS violation anyways, at which point the plat is forfeit anyways as the offending accounts would just be banned if found quilting of engaging in RMT. Region hopping could account for it too but again falls under the RMT issue.

I think I’m just paranoid from the last time I got locked out from a bad trade 

I do check who I’m trading with and keep a balance equal or greater to what I trade for

but in general I really don’t trade that much except to buy stuff from other players 

I very rarely trade for plat due to my bad experience with it

On 2024-09-17 at 12:16 AM, CephalonOlphus said:

They do though, people give meaning to words, you choose to be hurt by them.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, _Eclips3_ said:

They do though, people give meaning to words, you choose to be hurt by them.

People give meaning to laws as well, so following your logic do you commit crimes whenever you see fit?

People giving meaning to words doesn't take away the merit of the meaning. I'm 100% certain you'd be upset if someone threatened a loved one, even though those are "just words".

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Ersedu said:

because someone is using 

A plat from a shady site 

or B chargeback plat 

in the case of A

but it happens 

but what can you do 

Trades too risky 

I don't think there is such a thing as "bad plat" I think it's a matter of stolen credit card/charge backs. 

On 2024-09-13 at 12:41 PM, PollexMessier said:

I never agree with charging for name changes. It's such an incredibly stupid thing to charge for imo. People make spelling errors. Or change their mind after making a cringy name. Just let people change it. Microsoft charges the cost of a damn indi game to change your gamertag and it's ridiculous. Just let people change their damn names. It's a fraction of a percent of the data transfer made when you do a single mission. It's just a scumbag move, and you're never told it'll cost you to change it until after you've made your name.

The rush costs are also stupid. But they're not really there for the average player. They're there for impatient whales. The time gate on foundry items is annoying but it's not really that bad to wait them out. Just try to always have stuff crafting in there and you'll hardly notice cus you'll always have something to claim from the foundry. Most people stumble into that sort of mental work-around fairly early on. I'd say standing is worse cus it puts like a month long time gate on the high rep items. And you can't always pay around that. Just have patience with that stuff.

Id rather have rush mechanics than alot of the bs most games have. 

And for name changes, I think at a minimum there should be a long cooldown on it.

On 2024-09-13 at 3:40 PM, _Eclips3_ said:

The extra strict moderation is enough to discourage abuse. One harmless word in region chat and your 10+ year account with $1000 sunk in is gone to protect other peoples feelings. I don't think swapping names will help. It really should be free and only allowed once every 30 days like other games.

I disagree. Theres different kinds of abuse. I'm sure they'd still catch you just fine dropping slurs in region chat but what about things like being an A-hole in clan/alliance chat or being an A-hole or scummy in trade chat. 

On 2024-09-16 at 6:16 PM, CephalonOlphus said:

Yeah yeah I've seen people on the internet complain then it turns out they were dropping N bombs or something but I have legitimately seen cases where moderation becomes overzealous.

On 2024-09-16 at 6:20 PM, (PSN)FrDiabloFr said:

Depending on how moderators take your words you most certainly can get bans, but i see your point.

Yup. 

On 2024-09-17 at 3:10 PM, proevilz said:

We have to be fair here and give credit where credit is due.

Warframe has possibly the most ethical monetisation system out of all games.

Can't really complain tbh.

I agree. It doesn't rely on lootboxes. It doesn't seperate players into haves or have nots with quests missions dlc etc (like destiny). It doesn't charge for quests or story content. New frames/weapons are always obtainable for free. The list goes on.

54 minutes ago, _Eclips3_ said:

They do though, people give meaning to words

That is literally how words work. We agree they have meaning so we can use them to transmit information. Sometimes, that information serves the sole purpose of instilling negativity, and we can't always choose how we feel about the stimuli we receive, or else nothing could ever make us unhappy at all.

That said...the SC***horpe Problem absolutely exists, as does that of automated systems not recognizing context. So, if you want to argue that harmless words can get you banned, that is the thing to point to, but it doesn't sound like that's what you had in mind.

(Edit: I didn't realize we actually had a word filter on here. My point is flawlessly demonstrated.)

Edited by JadeFromWarframe