Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Is Anyone Else Afraid Of Melee 2.0?

Ribboz

"Hey, melee 2.0 brought a bunch of cool functionality, but you can only use it if you grind up all your favorite weapons to 30!  Buy some affinity boosters!"

Guess that would be something DE would do.

Rereading this thread, I noticed this post... If it's really one of your favourite weapons, why isn't it 30 already? Either you've just got it and you'll keep ranking it because you like it so much, or you've just forma'd it and you'll keep ranking it because the forma means you have a build planned for it.

Rereading this thread, I noticed this post... If it's really one of your favourite weapons, why isn't it 30 already? Either you've just got it and you'll keep ranking it because you like it so much, or you've just forma'd it and you'll keep ranking it because the forma means you have a build planned for it.

I have a lot of weapons I like.  I don't like grinding.  I prefer to just use whatever I feel like using, which means many of my weapons aren't at 30.

Of course, I like my weapons to remain competent, so I forma them, and that further contributes them to staying below max level.

At the very least, melee 2.0's sweeping buffs should (ideally) make it a simpler affair to rank up melee weapons, since they'll be more potent.  Hopefully.

Well, for me, it's because it's Melee and I solo mostly.  Which means it's either guns, or forfeit the mission.

Then again, when I play in a group, I can't really melee anyway, because someone usually shows up with a Soma and melee is kinda useless.

Well, for me, it's because it's Melee and I solo mostly.  Which means it's either guns, or forfeit the mission.

Then again, when I play in a group, I can't really melee anyway, because someone usually shows up with a Soma and melee is kinda useless.

I've never really had an issue levelling melee weapon, both solo and in group. While in group, shared XP gets you a ton of XP, even if you're not getting the kills and soloing... use a Loki or Rhino or something.

biggest think that worries me is possible combo moves that would add unnecessary complexity - and would be just too bothersome and annoying to use and master just so you could benefit the new melee system.

If i have to do complex combos to kill a target.. vs shoot it in the weakspot... why should i bother killing my nerves and waste time.

Stuff like: jump-crouch-A-melee-D-W etc

Every big change is exciting and scary. It promises a lot, but there's a fear it will either not deliver on those promises, or ruin the experience. All you can do is hope for the best and wait to see.

Close your eyes, hold your breath and cross your fingers if it helps.

Edited by Haldos

Am looking forward to it actually, I want to love single swords again, mainly my dark sword. 

Damage 2.0 broke my dark sword, i can relate. The new animations are nice but the update at heart should be a damage rebalance.

biggest think that worries me is possible combo moves that would add unnecessary complexity - and would be just too bothersome and annoying to use and master just so you could benefit the new melee system.

If i have to do complex combos to kill a target.. vs shoot it in the weakspot... why should i bother killing my nerves and waste time.

Stuff like: jump-crouch-A-melee-D-W etc

No one at DE wants street fighter combos like that, nor has anyone suggested it. Many players use games like MG:R, Dynasty warriors, and DMC as a broad example for how they want melee so you can probably expect DE to model after those games.

But yeah. If melee is stays spam2win and recieves no damage buffs or maintains less versatility than guns then the update will be a failure. Hopefully DE has avoided that while they have the time

In Saints Row, you hold down a button and use the D'Pad or analog to choose a weapon, if the devs do not do this or something similar, then this game would be one step closer to Goldeneye...

Remember Golden Eye? of course you do, the classic N64 Goldeneye version without the new mechanics and horrible weapon switch feature which took a year to switch to the right weapon.

Who here listens to the livestreams?  Because I have and they've said quick melee will still be in there, and that it won't be any less effective, it's just all the new stuff (+heavy strikes) will have to be pre-equipped.  Also they've mentioned something about a selector wheel, it was sort of mumbled.

remove handguns and only allow one weapon and one melee?

i would be a-ok with a system like this:

1 ranged / 1 melee

you could have say an ogris and galatine, but since both require 2 hands to wield u could only use 1 or the other at a time, same for akimbo guns or dual-wielded melees

but say if u wanted to equip the dark dagger and the acrid, then you wield both of them simultaneously: pistol in one hand, dagger in the other

ala Hayden in Dark Sector (of course he had a rifle/shotty, then the sidearm/glaive combo)

Actually... the most thoughts I have about Melee 2.0 is what they mentioned about blocking / parrying and how proper timing is going to execute counterattacks and all that.

I'm seriously wondering how mods like "Parry", "Reflex Guard" and "Reflection" are going to behave within Melee 2.0 and whether they will break or make the new melee game. Or perhaps they are redesigning these mods on the fly, like they did with the Status chance mods, in order to cope with the new needs of the Melee 2.0 system.

This will be interesting to test.

Some sort of lock-on is needed. I HATE forcibly circling enemies because my weapon attacks fast(I use Dual Ichor). Or missing because I go past them entirely. So something like dark souls, where you can lock onto every enemy(but only for melee weps) would be nice.

I think I've commented in the past here, but since we're presumably on the eve of Melee 2.0, I gotta say that I'm kind of concerned. If it doesn't go well, then I think this game's popularity and player count is gonna take a dive. I don't' think I can personally stand having a half-implemented system that wasn't tested as thoroughly as maybe the Devs once thought, like Dmg 2.0...The horrible thing is that I don't WANT to have to leave the game because I believe that Warframe has a foundation in something great, but if I see this opportunity squandered, then, well...Guess it's been a nice run. I REALLY hate to say that...

Some sort of lock-on is needed. I HATE forcibly circling enemies because my weapon attacks fast(I use Dual Ichor). Or missing because I go past them entirely. So something like dark souls, where you can lock onto every enemy(but only for melee weps) would be nice.

You should try switching on the option "Melee Auto Targeting". While this still needs tweaking, at least you are not passing through enemies any more if you initiate an attack. The downside being, even while you are following fleeing enemies while mashing the melee button automatically... but with the ENEMY's speed with instead of your own, which more often than not results in you not connecting hits with a shortranged weapon and slice air.

Another downside is that your sliding attack might not propel you forward, but just spin around because an enemy is directly behind you. A benefit of this is, that the slide attack stops in front of an enemy more often than not so you can guarantee a hit and not passing through them, applying the damage to thin air.

It is an option I use for short ranged and fast attack weapons, and sometimes on certain missions.

I absolutely dislike the "Camera tracks target" option because more often than not, it will make you MISS targets if you also have the option enabled "melee follows camera".

If it doesn't go well, then I think this game's popularity and player count is gonna take a dive. I don't' think I can personally stand having a half-implemented system that wasn't tested as thoroughly as maybe the Devs once thought, like Dmg 2.0...The horrible thing is that I don't WANT to have to leave the game because I believe that Warframe has a foundation in something great, but if I see this opportunity squandered, then, well...Guess it's been a nice run. I REALLY hate to say that...

Well, beta is beta, for one. For the other, considering that you hear left and right (and seen in missions) that after a certain point melee isn't used any more, I think it can only get better. And if not, then it is still bad but in a different way than before *chuckle* I also don't think the last word for damage 2.0 is spoken, yet.

And if people are really leaving the game in masses, impacting their platinum sales, it might be just exactly the broad hint (which would be a subtle as a trainwreck) to let them shift focus in order to reclaim the players they would have lost.