Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

I Feel Like People Are Forgetting The Purpose Of Mastery Rank.

JimJam_

The title is a bit long, but it explains this pretty clearly.

Alot of people are saying x weapon needs a buff, and that's okay, but sometimes I think that people need to remember that weapons have mastery rank. The lower mastery ranked weapons being the ones obtained earlier on thus being weaker, naturally. Not everyone can get 6+ weapon or Warframe slots to rank up quickly and get the best gear, so they get the low tier weapons.

Some weapons are being labelled 'trash' (eg Kogake) because they have little to no use in late game, however from a new players perspective they can be very useful for their level.

Another point. I think there needs to be more content in the early game arsenal. The braton and strun are nice, but can be expensive for early game players. Give them something to work towards. The seer could be an example, but new players won't know initially how to get one (or how they got the blueprint) And the orokin cells are unlikely to be obtained by a new player.

I apologise for any typos, posting this from my phone :P

Edited by JimJam_

THE problem, however, is that Mastery as a power-gating system is not fit for purpose. It requires no skill, no effort and is no indicator of progression -- all it takes is willpower to level up weapons you do not care about, at all, and use them as nothing more than Mastery fodder. This problem is further fortified with the fact that certain weapons are obviously superior to others within the same power tier. The fact that some weapons are also gimmicky and therefor underperform compared to the tradinional weaponry for that particular slot.

To sum it up, it is pretty hard to rationalise the purpose of the Mastery system when the system itself is bad by design and is an indicator of bugger all. It needs to be reworked or scrapped completely.

THE problem, however, is that Mastery as a power-gating system is not fit for purpose. It requires no skill, no effort and is no indicator of progression -- all it takes is willpower to level up weapons you do not care about, at all, and use them as nothing more than Mastery fodder. This problem is further fortified with the fact that certain weapons are obviously superior to others within the same power tier. The fact that some weapons are also gimmicky and therefor underperform compared to the tradinional weaponry for that particular slot.

To sum it up, it is pretty hard to rationalise the purpose of the Mastery system when the system itself is bad by design and is an indicator of bugger all. It needs to be reworked or scrapped completely.

While working towards the next Mastery Rank is not based on skill, the tests themselves are... at first, they're dirt easy to pass but once you get to 8+, well you need to show you know what you're doing else you'll fail them constantly. Thankfully though, past 8th rank, it's mostly for bragging rights since no weapon requires a MR higher than 8. So technically, you just have one hard test to deal with to have full access to weaponry and frames.

... At least, for now.

Edited by Wiegraf

This 'Mastery System' is a pay wall.

You have 2 Warframe slots and 8 weapon slots.  The only way to increase them is to pay real money for Platinum, or get lucky with the RNG when it comes to mods.  Otherwise, you're going to increase incredibly slowly, because it's easier to get rid of weapons, than to get rid of 'Frames especially, like in the case of my clan mate, who has a Mag, (which they love) and a Trinity (which they also love)  But they did several Phorid fights and have all the bits for Nyx.  They would like to play with the Nyx, but they like their Mag and spent too much time grinding for Trinity.  But they want to try out a Nyx. But they can't because there's no other way to get Platinum than to pay for it out their wallet, or get incredibly lucky with the RNG.  Unfortunately, they're less skilled than I am (and I'm not very good at this game.)

This 'Mastery System' is a pay wall.

You have 2 Warframe slots and 8 weapon slots.  The only way to increase them is to pay real money for Platinum, or get lucky with the RNG when it comes to mods.  Otherwise, you're going to increase incredibly slowly, because it's easier to get rid of weapons, than to get rid of 'Frames especially, like in the case of my clan mate, who has a Mag, (which they love) and a Trinity (which they also love)  But they did several Phorid fights and have all the bits for Nyx.  They would like to play with the Nyx, but they like their Mag and spent too much time grinding for Trinity.  But they want to try out a Nyx. But they can't because there's no other way to get Platinum than to pay for it out their wallet, or get incredibly lucky with the RNG.  Unfortunately, they're less skilled than I am (and I'm not very good at this game.)

Use the starting plats for slots, either weapons or Warframes; there's no reason to use the starting plats for anything else worthwhile really and he'll have 3-4 Warframe slots.

I don't like the idea of tiered weapons at all. If I like the handling of a specific gun, i should be able to make it as strong as every other gun with enough effort. I understand the idea that you should be rewarded for unlocking and ranking expensive an difficult to get guns. Why not increase the mastery rating for rare guns and frames and give passive bonuses depending on your mastery level, which increases the damage with all guns across the board. That would reward you for getting rare stuff but let you use what ever gun you like.

Use the starting plats for slots, either weapons or Warframes; there's no reason to use the starting plats for anything else worthwhile really and he'll have 3-4 Warframe slots.

yeah, the guide I read told me to do as much. I wish it also told me that there is a daily reward for 50% discount on plat purchase....

I didn't even know how this mastery thing worked (I assumed it was based on killing and doing missions, not unique items levelling) 

I just sold all the crappy weapons w/o ranking them much and played with the same maxed loadout for a long time staying at rank3.

Im not a fan of mastery system and requirements, its not much an indication of progress. Would be better and more intuitive if you unlocked weapons by clearing planets, maybe more drops from the bosses. But that's cause it works like this in other MMOs. If WF goes its own way its fine, just communicate it to the players. Play Lares/Appolo all day for a week with junk weapons to unlock Soma!  

Edited by Monolake