Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

[Suggestion] New Faction: Space Pirates

Vard

Well, they replace their bodies with tech, and stuff. 

Although we already have infested for the body-horror needs.

Yeah, but the Grineer are much more organized, and the mechanical replacements are only made to augment the body (female body mainly) for combat efficiency and resistance to damage, as far as we can tell.  

The "space pirate" faction can be more like scavengers and a small shadowy, rag-tag group of individuals that have very little influence politically in the systems, but just live off whatever they manage steal, rob or whatever off the other factions.  Thus, their body modifications can be more cyborg-like, replacing damaged body parts with whatever machinery they can find.  You know, laser arms and such.

Well, it could work. Or it could work as a part of grineer later on... With crowded, small corridors and glass cannon-mooks everywhere...

I still think that having a faction, that isn't outright evil or hostile to tennno would be more refreshing and unique, but I like your opinion too.)

I wonder why OP hasn't been updated with the list of suggestions yet... 

Edited by GTG3000

Well, it could work. Or it could work as a part of grineer later on... With crowded, small corridors and glass cannon-mooks everywhere...

I still think that having a faction, that isn't outright evil or hostile to tennno would be more refreshing and unique, but I like your opinion too.)

I wonder why OP hasn't been updated with the list of suggestions yet... 

Yeah, I agree with the limited resources DE has, they probably won't be introducing any major new factions any time soon.  Just think of the models they have to make, at least 3-5 different enemy types and that's a lot of work.  More likely they'll be increasing the Grineer enemy types.  

As to the non-evil/hostile faction, I think we already have some of that within the "backstory" or "lore" of the game.  Some alerts mention "Tenno sympathizers" which I can only assume those are Corpus people who are either neutral or friendly with the Tenno (I say Corpus, not Grineer, since it's hard to imagine sympathetic clones engineered to kill Tenno, lol), and provide assistance, maybe at a price.  I can see like a sub-faction of the Corpus who are willing to assist or do business with the Tenno, and they can be either black market merchant or something else.

Yeah, I agree with the limited resources DE has, they probably won't be introducing any major new factions any time soon.  Just think of the models they have to make, at least 3-5 different enemy types and that's a lot of work.  More likely they'll be increasing the Grineer enemy types.  

As to the non-evil/hostile faction, I think we already have some of that within the "backstory" or "lore" of the game.  Some alerts mention "Tenno sympathizers" which I can only assume those are Corpus people who are either neutral or friendly with the Tenno (I say Corpus, not Grineer, since it's hard to imagine sympathetic clones engineered to kill Tenno, lol), and provide assistance, maybe at a price.  I can see like a sub-faction of the Corpus who are willing to assist or do business with the Tenno, and they can be either black market merchant or something else.

Well, if they decide to make some new faction, I imagine even making the mooks one by one would work out eventually. Either way, variety is always welcome.

And, well, as I stated in my suggestions earlier in the thread, a faction, that actually does things on the battlefield, and isn't outright hostile (e.g. - you don't touch them and they'll try not to shoot you) would be nice. Say, having an alert go off not because of you, and then find them, hacking the lockdowns open, or shooting at the enemies along with you. I would say that there seems to be more factions than just Grineer and Corpus, we just don't get to see the civilians, or anyone aside from the military forces.

And, well, as I stated in my suggestions earlier in the thread, a faction, that actually does things on the battlefield, and isn't outright hostile (e.g. - you don't touch them and they'll try not to shoot you) would be nice. Say, having an alert go off not because of you, and then find them, hacking the lockdowns open, or shooting at the enemies along with you. I would say that there seems to be more factions than just Grineer and Corpus, we just don't get to see the civilians, or anyone aside from the military forces.

That is actually super interesting.  Will probably be slightly harder to program and work into the current game, but I'm sure they would love to add something like that into the game.  Gives the universe much more life.

That is actually super interesting.  Will probably be slightly harder to program and work into the current game, but I'm sure they would love to add something like that into the game.  Gives the universe much more life.

Yeah, that's exactly what I ment - more life and variety.

As for code, well, they already have the code for the factions, targeting eachother/a mob, finding it's way to the wall console and activating it. The real problem is how to prevent players from accidentally turning them hostile with AoE skills... 

Yeah, that's exactly what I ment - more life and variety.

As for code, well, they already have the code for the factions, targeting eachother/a mob, finding it's way to the wall console and activating it. The real problem is how to prevent players from accidentally turning them hostile with AoE skills... 

Well, I'm sure the coding itself wouldn't be too much trouble.  But you know what happens when you change a simple line of code right?  All hell breaks lose.

And in regards to AoE skills aggroing the neutral faction... I think the onus would be on the players to avoid doing AoE damage :P

Well, I'm sure the coding itself wouldn't be too much trouble.  But you know what happens when you change a simple line of code right?  All hell breaks lose.

And in regards to AoE skills aggroing the neutral faction... I think the onus would be on the players to avoid doing AoE damage :P

Yeah, yeah, I know, but it seems that with alarm it would be just 'use existing code to find the console, cue the hacking pose, use existing code for invoking the alarm, but change it to 'off' '. I wonder, what kind of bugs could this invoke.

And, well, it would make the game quite harder actually, seeing how most of the skills have SOME sort of AoE to them. Maybe rewarding the players for not aggroing the Pirates would work?

So... I have an idea for a pirate faction boss. 

I couldn't make her look right in my sketches, so I wrote a bit of fanfiction to describe her instead. Warning, some parts are awkward because they touch on unexplained parts of lore.

A place for everything and everything in it’s place, no matter how accidental was the journey.

A group of rogue archaeologists always has a chance of finding a miracle. She was that miracle. A cryopod, that opened and let her out into the harsh, lifeless tomb the once beautiful tower became, surrounded by people on the run from everyone, desperately trying to find something the old race left behind to help them...
The pirates, as they got dubbed by the corpus fleet, spent time waiting for a ship to come and take them away from the desolate site by telling stories. Old stories. About old earth. They told tales about great warriors, mages raging wars of cold, humanity, uniting in tries to hit down moon with a weapon they called ‘babylon’, a nation of gasmask-wearing people hunting down witches... And, above all, pirates. The image of freedom, as the stories suggested, helping people selflessly and fighting the tyrants... They said that they can only wonder how accurate the stories are, but some images burned in her mind, filling up what was erased by all the time in cryosleep. She was a warrior. Now, she had a purpose to fight.

“Hah! Wearing red, tenno? All you can do is dress up!”-the bombard shouted...  Her warframe, indeed, wasn’t looking quite as purpose-driven as grineer battle modifications, where form followed purpose. Nor did she take from Corpus lack of imagination. Her own suit followed the ideas she found to be her inspiration... Red jacket with black gloves and high black shoes on short heels, grown to look as close to the parade jackets she seen on rare pictures archeologists still had as it was possible, leaning close to her figure. Her face had a clear attempt to recreate ‘eyepatch’, and in attempt to recreate the look to the fullest she even wore a hat once... Before the battlefield reminded her the borders of reasonable. If anyone ever asked, she would tell that she would prefer to have more slim and agile build, but she wasn’t going to argue with her nature about how buxom can a warrior be before it becomes ridiculous. Especially with such a mutilated example of that aimed it’s weapon at her. No, she wasn’t going to take fashion advices from a mutilated chunk of flesh with more metal in it than some corpus proxies.

Although tenno aren’t known for witty replies, so she pulled the trigger. Pirates didn’t have quite as much resources when she had to make her weapon of choice, and the tower itself didn’t turn out to contain enough materials, or even intact protoform ‘blueprints’ to create a weapon, so she had to improvise... The gineer grunted, as a load of fletchettes hit into his chest, exploding almost harmlessly... Safe for throwing him on his back-”Agh... is that all you can...”-he grunted, looking up... at a dagger, rushing to his throat... The shotgun she had crafted out of the limited resources she had at her disposal, utilized designs of bolt-weapons. Although the smaller charge and projectile speed had forced her to forget about piercing her foes, rigging the fletchettes to explode had granted her a formidable utility she could use to get some breathing space...

She stood up. The room was empty, save for her and soon to self-incinerate body of her foe... The warframe she ended up with didn’t provide quite as much abilities like she felt it had to, but who was she to argue... Although with the artifact, located here, everything could change, she thought, opening the door...
“Danger. The vessel is under attack by unknown individuals.”-the pager announced, as she faced... Four warframes. As if a twisted mirror to her long-forgotten past, they looked at her in the split second the surprise lasted. One of them held the artifact. Oh well, she though, rising the gun...

Sorry for that.

Ahem, so

Name - The red lady.

Origin - a tenno, accidentally uncovered by pirates, who decided to fight on their side and took in all the stories of old earth they had.

She would wield 'blunderbuss', a cc shotgun, that shoots explosive fletchettes for weak damage, but guaranteed knockdown.

I suppose, for unique experience, she would appear in a rectangular, arena-like room with four turrets on the corners. The turrets would have severe damage, but slow speed... Unless the red lady aids them with her abilities -

Scrapegoat - Red lady points at one of tenno, making the guns aim at him with much greater speed and precision.

Witchhunt - Red lady reactivates broken turrets and/or doubles their firerate.

As a bonus for those, who like to get up close and personal, she would have

Preemptive strike - Red lady executes a devastating melee strike, delivering guaranteed death to whoever she hits, along with shockwave-ish explosion. Although if you see it coming and avoid it, she just swings her fist in the air and gives you a bit of time to empty your mags.

Thoughts?

Edited by GTG3000

So... I have an idea for a pirate faction boss. 

I couldn't make her look right in my sketches, so I wrote a bit of fanfiction to describe her instead. Warning, some parts are awkward because they touch on unexplained parts of lore.

A place for everything and everything in it’s place, no matter how accidental was the journey.

A group of rogue archaeologists always has a chance of finding a miracle. She was that miracle. A cryopod, that opened and let her out into the harsh, lifeless tomb the once beautiful tower became, surrounded by people on the run from everyone, desperately trying to find something the old race left behind to help them...

The pirates, as they got dubbed by the corpus fleet, spent time waiting for a ship to come and take them away from the desolate site by telling stories. Old stories. About old earth. They told tales about great warriors, mages raging wars of cold, humanity, uniting in tries to hit down moon with a weapon they called ‘babylon’, a nation of gasmask-wearing people hunting down witches... And, above all, pirates. The image of freedom, as the stories suggested, helping people selflessly and fighting the tyrants... They said that they can only wonder how accurate the stories are, but some images burned in her mind, filling up what was erased by all the time in cryosleep. She was a warrior. Now, she had a purpose to fight.

“Hah! Wearing red, tenno? All you can do is dress up!”-the bombard shouted...  Her warframe, indeed, wasn’t looking quite as purpose-driven as grineer battle modifications, where form followed purpose. Nor did she take from Corpus lack of imagination. Her own suit followed the ideas she found to be her inspiration... Red jacket with black gloves and high black shoes on short heels, grown to look as close to the parade jackets she seen on rare pictures archeologists still had as it was possible, leaning close to her figure. Her face had a clear attempt to recreate ‘eyepatch’, and in attempt to recreate the look to the fullest she even wore a hat once... Before the battlefield reminded her the borders of reasonable. If anyone ever asked, she would tell that she would prefer to have more slim and agile build, but she wasn’t going to argue with her nature about how buxom can a warrior be before it becomes ridiculous. Especially with such a mutilated example of that aimed it’s weapon at her. No, she wasn’t going to take fashion advices from a mutilated chunk of flesh with more metal in it than some corpus proxies.

Although tenno aren’t known for witty replies, so she pulled the trigger. Pirates didn’t have quite as much resources when she had to make her weapon of choice, and the tower itself didn’t turn out to contain enough materials, or even intact protoform ‘blueprints’ to create a weapon, so she had to improvise... The gineer grunted, as a load of fletchettes hit into his chest, exploding almost harmlessly... Safe for throwing him on his back-”Agh... is that all you can...”-he grunted, looking up... at a dagger, rushing to his throat... The shotgun she had crafted out of the limited resources she had at her disposal, utilized designs of bolt-weapons. Although the smaller charge and projectile speed had forced her to forget about piercing her foes, rigging the fletchettes to explode had granted her a formidable utility she could use to get some breathing space...

She stood up. The room was empty, save for her and soon to self-incinerate body of her foe... The warframe she ended up with didn’t provide quite as much abilities like she felt it had to, but who was she to argue... Although with the artifact, located here, everything could change, she thought, opening the door...

“Danger. The vessel is under attack by unknown individuals.”-the pager announced, as she faced... Four warframes. As if a twisted mirror to her long-forgotten past, they looked at her in the split second the surprise lasted. One of them held the artifact. Oh well, she though, rising the gun...

Sorry for that.

Ahem, so

Name - The red lady.

Origin - a tenno, accidentally uncovered by pirates, who decided to fight on their side and took in all the stories of old earth they had.

She would wield 'blunderbuss', a shotgun, that shoots explosive fletchettes for weak damage, but guaranteed knockdown.

I suppose, for unique experience, she would appear in a rectangular, arena-like room with four turrets on the corners. The turrets would have severe damage, but slow speed... Unless the red lady aids them with her abilities -

Scrapegoat - Red lady points at one of tenno, making the guns aim at him with much greater speed and precision.

Witchhunt - Red lady reactivates broken turrets and/or doubles their firerate.

As a bonus for those, who like to get up close and personal, she would have

Preemptive strike - Red lady executes a devastating melee strike, delivering guaranteed death to whoever she hits, along with shockwave-ish explosion. Although if you see it coming and avoid it, she just swings her fist in the air and gives you a bit of time to empty your mags.

Thoughts?

I really like this the only flaw is the instant death part maybe about 90% of health goes down?

I really like this the only flaw is the instant death part maybe about 90% of health goes down?

Well, I thought that guaranteed kill will work, since she'd be telegraphing that attack about as much as any other boss makes a stance before make a shockwave. Sort of "if it hit you, you deserved it", but I se where you're coming from. I guess 90% health could work. Maybe it could scale with her level from 50% when attacked by one player and to downing the player in case there's three others to revive him?

[Edit]

Also, another suggestion of a pirate weapon

MT34kK4.png

"Screwdriver" gauss weapon

With base damage of 50 and firing rate of 3 this bolt-launching coil weapon could indeed be a rival of Snipetron... If not for it's damage fall off, starting at 20 meters and gradually reducing the damage to mere 20 at 100 meters. Although it still has innate armour ignore, so it more than makes up for that.

Is used by the more squishier pirate boarders.

Well, I thought that guaranteed kill will work, since she'd be telegraphing that attack about as much as any other boss makes a stance before make a shockwave. Sort of "if it hit you, you deserved it", but I se where you're coming from. I guess 90% health could work. Maybe it could scale with her level from 50% when attacked by one player and to downing the player in case there's three others to revive him?

[Edit]

Also, another suggestion of a pirate weapon

MT34kK4.png

"Screwdriver" gauss weapon

With base damage of 50 and firing rate of 3 this bolt-launching coil weapon could indeed be a rival of Snipetron... If not for it's damage fall off, starting at 20 meters and gradually reducing the damage to mere 20 at 100 meters. Although it still has innate armour ignore, so it more than makes up for that.

Is used by the more squishier pirate boarders.

i like it :D and hopefully we get this pirate stuff in for the next update or so

i like it :D and hopefully we get this pirate stuff in for the next update or so

That would be semi-miraculous.))))

Guess we'll have to wait until the next livestream to find out if devs like this idea at all, heh.

While we're waiting - another weapon idea.

4jFwRVf.png

"Argument" automatic shotgun.

Used by pirate abordage troops, this tri-barelled shotgun is big, bulky, has no idea of accuracy and a spread only marginally smaller than a frag grenade, not to mention a lenthy spoolup time. Though it remains the weapon of choice for the shield-equipped, armoured troopers, since the sound of it's spoolup motor is oftenly the last thing their foes hear before it empties it's 30-round mag, killing everything in the general direction it's pointed into, dealing whopping 80 damage per round to ensure that it's owner wont have anything to worry about while swapping it's mag for entire 3 .2 seconds.

That would be semi-miraculous.))))

Guess we'll have to wait until the next livestream to find out if devs like this idea at all, heh.

While we're waiting - another weapon idea.

4jFwRVf.png

"Argument" automatic shotgun.

Used by pirate abordage troops, this tri-barelled shotgun is big, bulky, has no idea of accuracy and a spread only marginally smaller than a frag grenade, not to mention a lenthy spoolup time. Though it remains the weapon of choice for the shield-equipped, armoured troopers, since the sound of it's spoolup motor is oftenly the last thing their foes hear before it empties it's 30-round mag, killing everything in the general direction it's pointed into, dealing whopping 80 damage per round to ensure that it's owner wont have anything to worry about while swapping it's mag for entire 3 .2 seconds.

A shotgun is already cool but an auto shotgun is WAY better

A shotgun is already cool but an auto shotgun is WAY better

Yeah. And no one ever complained about Boar sniping, heh. 

I'm just thinking that a gun with a defining spin-up sound and nice damage would be delicious. That is, if you don't mind it not being able to shoot ondemand, taking an eternity to reload and eating ammo faster than you can kill a grineer sawblade.

Yeah. And no one ever complained about Boar sniping, heh. 

I'm just thinking that a gun with a defining spin-up sound and nice damage would be delicious. That is, if you don't mind it not being able to shoot ondemand, taking an eternity to reload and eating ammo faster than you can kill a grineer sawblade.

cool

i give credit to EVERYONE who agreed on this :D

That's a lot of credit, seeing how this thread is 9 pages long...

Either way, it's 4am where I am and I'm getting progressively more stupid. Guess meaningfull conversations will have to wait.

Also, just for laughs

45282.strip.print.gif

Edited by GTG3000