Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

"shotgun Spazz" Mod Name Change Request

ChazTargrin

You cannot start a sentence with you being offended expecting anything else you say to have any meaning.Arguments were made, now we're going in circles.Anyway, I thought you're done with me.

I hardly have anything else to say.

You've had other things to say? Dude, you've repeated yourself, becoming even ruder, since that 'arguement' with Hax.

No, if anything, being offended gives him a right to ask. He has asked, people are discussing, and you are continuing to belittle. Don't act all high and mighty, you aren't. When you can actually prove me wrong in what I've said, then I'll gladly concede, but until then, keep trying.

Btw, good job on trying to get a rise out of me with an attack on how I talk, I think I've just found myself a new image to use for things

I'm not trying to get to you and you obviously don't even know what I'm refering to .Certainly, I wasn't referring to the OP.If you don't know what I'm talking about , you're pretty inconsiderate yourself.Don't worry though, I'm not expecting anything out of you.I simply don't care.

but what ever..you still have nothing to say to me.

Actualy , I wanna give a shout-out to @Baigan.Couldn't have said it any better.

I'm here to upvote the cracker post and let be heard that I think the OP is reading too much into it, being overly sensitive and entitled by being offended by it. HOWEVER, it is in his rights to be so.

I hate the sound of the mod (shotgun spazz just sounds bad) but I'd hate even more to see it changed because of special-snowflake-itis. So even if it's changed for something better, the change itself will remain tarnished by this very thread. :C

In reference to what exacly?Where exacly am I spamming because I think you have no idea what you're talking about.Just so you know, ad hominem is a logical fallacy.

double posting and repeating your own posts in a copy paste manner. very basic forum ettiquite to not do either of those things.

and also to not attempt to start flamewars with people because you don't agree with their viewing of a situation. nobody said you must agree, but you must respect it. i also think this thread might be taking the Mod name too literally, but that's okay, i grew up in a different region, under different circumstances, so i won't feel the same way. that makes sense. 

what doesn't make sense, is attacking peoples' beliefs because you don't agree with them. this is not a Holy War, this is a discussion board.

and ironically, in your futile attempts to shoot down a reasonable request that points out a possible misunderstanding of context in Warframe - you've bumped the thread like 20 times, which only draws more attention to the suggestion.

'Acceleration'

'Storm Shot'

are still the ones i think ring the best.

And this thread (more specifically Nnazqul) is the embodiment of why we can't have nice things, or actual freedom of speech, because people demand the freedom of speech in return for not using the freedom of thought.

On topic: I don't like the name of the mod either (mostly because it doesn't... feel right, for lack of a better word), but I do understand where the OP is coming from (it's a semi-offensive term in Canada). Personally, I think something along the lines of the "Shotgun Blitz" (I would have gone with "Blitz Trigger/Trigger Happy") or "Hair Trigger" is a good choice.

Come to think of it, a large number of the mods have names that make little sense. Why is the shotgun critical-hit called "Blunderbuss"? They were notoriously inaccurate and only hit things through the sheer number of pellets! Why is pistol reload speed not called "Speed-load" and instead "Quickdraw" (this one especially grinds my gears. What the F*** DE. Quick-draw and reloading have NOTHING to do with each other!)? I get the DE was trying to do something cool but I think they screwed up more than they succeeded.

Edited by Volthorne

And this thread (more specifically Nnazqul) is the embodiment of why we can't have nice things, or actual freedom of speech, because people demand the freedom of speech in return for not using the freedom of thought.

On topic: I don't like the name of the mod either (mostly because it doesn't... feel right, for lack of a better word), but I do understand where the OP is coming from (it's a semi-offensive term in Canada). Personally, I think something along the lines of the "Shotgun Blitz" (I would have gone with "Blitz Trigger/Trigger Happy") or "Hair Trigger" is a good choice.

Thank you for understanding, Volthorne! And yeah, Shotgun Blitz, Blitz Trigger, Trigger Happy and Hair Trigger all sound like good name ideas.

I can see why you're posting about this but really...? When I read it in WF I see it as a mod and think of its properties. I don't think of a disabled person. In fact I think of the Spas-12 shotgun. Pretty sure it comes from that. To an extent one could say should they change the name of the shotgun that exists in real life as well?

We just went over this in the previous page - I'm aware that SPAS-12 is an acronym (Special Purpose Automatic Shotgun), but the mod name is Spazz (that's a Z rather than an S) and was most likely intended to be a contraction of "spasm" - I'm fairly confident DE made an honest mistake, and didn't realise that the word could have unfortunate connotations for some of its audience.

In my country a cookie was called: Negerzoen.
If you would translate this to english it would be: ******skiss.

Now all the "colored" people didnt find it offensive. But some Politicians said it was racist so it got namechanged to chcolatekiss.

sometimes people are really over sensitive to something thats not ment to offend, yet some people will always find something offensive to them.

In my country a cookie was called: Negerzoen.

If you would translate this to english it would be: ******skiss.

Now all the "colored" people didnt find it offensive. But some Politicians said it was racist so it got namechanged to chcolatekiss.

sometimes people are really over sensitive to something thats not ment to offend, yet some people will always find something offensive to them.

While true, the major difference here is that your example is a translational discrepency, something that really means nothing at all, and the mod Shotgun Spazz is purposefully named as such. I'm not saying potential harm is intended by the mod, but it's still named, not translated.

i cant really understand this post.

someone feels offended by something, so?

why is important?

i guess you should cancel family guy, south park or even the simpsons, because you know, someone somewhere will be offended.

i am in a country where english is not the native language, but if DE decides to call a mod "tiro loco" / crazy shot - i can asure you i wont care at all.

damn, every game that uses demons names for their moves or caracters  should be banned, because some religious would be offended.

is insane.

I am for changing the name because it's simply a bad name.

It used to describe a Noun or a Verb as clumsy, and/or inept primarily. It also describes losing control when angry, twitching as if mentally ill, and as an insult towards slow children. Spaz is always an insult, the word does not have a positive usage.

Edited by LazyKnight

Agreed - Spazz is not the word I'd use. It's potentially offensive to some and it doesn't convey the feeling of increasing rate of fire.

As far as the name change suggestions are concerned, I like them - What about something like Rapid Feed or Rapid Fire though?

Edited by MirageKnight

While true, the major difference here is that your example is a translational discrepency, something that really means nothing at all, and the mod Shotgun Spazz is purposefully named as such. I'm not saying potential harm is intended by the mod, but it's still named, not translated.

I actually translated it so people would know what it was about..

I do not see a problem considering it has different meanings, whereas one is a shortened form of an illness.

Although if a majority would find it offensive, I wouldnt be against a change.

As for a new name Speedy Shells, Fast Blast

Edited by jmthebigman

I'm fairly confident DE made an honest mistake, and didn't realise that the word could have unfortunate connotations for some of its audience.

Or maybe they don't let stupid slang stifle their freedom of expression.

Edited by Brimir

I must admit, while OP has brought up an interesting point I'm going to disagree that it's offensive. Simply put - anything can be offensive to anyone. 

In this case, the word "Spazz" is offensive to you because you feel its a reference to a disability. Which most likely is not the case.

Besides, I also live in the UK and I'd tell you not many people use the word "spaz" as an insult these days - it's fallen out of fashion with the chav community.

But, if the word offends you, which it seems to, then don't use the Mod. Delete it any time you get it and recognise that you won't use the Mod on moral grounds. 

well I hate to bump a thread like this but there's something I feel I need to expand on.

and also to not attempt to start flamewars with people because you don't agree with their viewing of a situation. nobody said you must agree, but you must respect it. i also think this thread might be taking the Mod name too literally, but that's okay, i grew up in a different region, under different circumstances, so i won't feel the same way. that makes sense. 

what doesn't make sense, is attacking peoples' beliefs because you don't agree with them. this is not a Holy War, this is a discussion board.

People keep nurturing this sense of entitlement to respect and it's just wrong.You don't have to respect nothing.I will respect your right to have an opinion, and you can have your freedom of thought too Volthorne, but I don't Have or Must respect your opinion.

Nothing is above criticism.No belief is above criticism.If we don't question what we believe, we wont make any improvements.

If you can't get over your hurt feelings, that's a matter of growing up.Your feelings might get in the way of the truth.

Unfortunately, people can't get over that.That is the reason we can't have nice things.

Over here in the UK "Spazz" is literally only used as an insult towards the disabled. It is as bad as putting a racist or homophobic word in the mod's name.

Changing the name takes near-zero effort on DE's part, and earns them some goodwill.

This isn't about taking away your freedoms, we don't want to take your guns away or let Ash marry Vauban, we'd just rather not have that word in the mod, and hope DE can understand why.

I get your point OP, but "Spazz" pretty much is in regards to "Spazzing out".

And "Spazzing out"  may or may not be derived from spasms that certain people with a form of  Cerebral Palsy can have, however I really don't see the big Issue here? (As well as the fact that DE probably didn't name it for that particular reason)

It's a name of a mod, which in fact let's you fire a shotgun faster by "spazzing out", it's a play on words, nothing more, nothing less.

I mean it's not like it's called something along the lines of "Exterminate *insert racial slur/mental illness here* for fun" right?

Edited by Farris

Bloody hell really. I hate how the UK is turning into North Korea. The number of teenagers we've physically imprisoned for writing 'mean Twitter comments' is really quite shocking. Being offended does not grant anyone special rights.  

My advice would be to grow some testicles. 

I am personally indifferent to the matter being discussed, but I give the OP +1 and support his argument as there is absolutely no harm in renaming the mod to something more suitable to everyone.

Put another way, this is similar to how Saryn is called "Saryn" and not "Sarin" (the real-life toxin substance).

As for my fellow peers who are being needlessly rude and/or inconsiderate, learn to be classier. Jeez.

You're taking the word "spazz" out of context, and THAT is the problem here.

Someone having a "Spaz-Out," would not necessarily even attack the target threatening them. A clear example of this is arachnophobia, where they might spaz-out, and flee the room if they thought a spider was in there with them.

In context: The only way the word spaz fits "Shotgun spazz," is for one slang version of the word "spaz-out," that has to do with a spaz-out episode that results in the person shooting everything with a silhouette.

Edited by LazyKnight