Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

The Best Secondary Except Brakk Or Detron

.solitus

Question

We have :

- AKLex which deals really high damage and really high crit

- AKMagnus, which is critting better than AKVasto right now, with its 25% crit chance and 200% multiplier, this is also a thing to consider

- Twin Gremlin, one of the high damaging automatic weapon with balanced fire rate

- Despair, one of the most infamous secondaries, one of the Stalker's arsenal and the 2nd to King Acrid in Damage 1.0. Somehow it is not suitable for long range but in shirt range, it gets the job done.

- Twin Viper Wraith : insane fire rate, great crit potential, could potentially be a dangerous secondary when used correctly without spray and pray.

- Bronco Series : the shotguns of secondaries. Quite similar to Detron and Brakk.

I'm having a hard time to choose one of above. Which is the best?

23 answers to this question

The sicarus prime and Bronco prime are beasts. The Bronco for it's spike damage that scales wonderfully with multishot and percentage boosts.

The Sicarus for it's balanced Burston-style damage, making it useful against ALL factions, with just elementals needing to be modified.

my Gremlins are almost always at my side. 

AkBolto's should probably be on here, though. effectively a Belt Fed Lex minus the non-direct Damage stats.

and since Physical Damages don't really matter as long as it's enough to make your Elementals up into the clouds - then who cares about the Physical Spreads for midlevel+ content.

as for 'best' - such a question has no answer to it. the Weapons all operate differently. find one that you enjoy using.

I really liked the bronco prime, then the brakk came out and was basically a direct upgrade, but now with the damage split it has massive impact damage, if you need that, go for it

I was also a big fan of the magnus when it came out. 20% crit chance, 20% status chance is solid. and now that we have akmags, with more cirt and status chance? yes please, my second extra magnus is crafting now. my original magnus with multiple forma and a potato in it will be the placeholder for now (that will be a grand total of 3 magnuses, for those counting. but only for a short while)

but my recommendation is to get something that complements your primary primary. unless you have one primary for each faction, then it doesn't matter too much. but right now my go-to primary is the hek, which is mainly puncture damage. and my secondary is the magnus, which is mainly impact damage. if the complementary damage stuff doesn't really matter to you, then get the akmagnus. those things are going to be status+crit machines. I cannot wait

Despair is one of the better automatic-fire secondaries, and some people (Like myself, I have to admit) are leery of binding mouse wheel to fire a specific weapon-I'm used to using it to switch weapons, which will be more important in Melee 2.0 when melee becomes another weapon slot, for instance. Others just don't like the inefficiency that results from using it as such. This is why people like the despair.

On a side note, I think the twin gremlins may be better than despair though. Cbf doing the maths though ^.^

Despair with multishot build are really high damages with nice accuracy, quite decent fire rate and 0.8s recharge. Not the biggest "burst" damage compared to Bronco P or Detron but truly realiable and extremely efficient on grineers.

My exotic love goes for the Sicarus Prime, with the mod that lowers recoil (can't remember the name...) it's damn accurate and a real pleasure to use plus its damages without being very high are balanced making it usefull on any faction.

I'm not using Aklex but one of my friend is getting 6k crits on high lvl Heavy Gunners so if you don't mind the huge recoil and low fire rate it's really good.

Haven't tried AkMagnus yet (getting that Magnus to 30 before...) but seeing the stats they seem to be quite decent.

I guess there it's up to your playstyle to choose what is best or not...

AkBolto's should probably be on here, though. effectively a Belt Fed Lex minus the non-direct Damage stats.

and since Physical Damages don't really matter as long as it's enough to make your Elementals up into the clouds - then who cares about the Physical Spreads for midlevel+ content.

+1

Also the 'bolt' projectiles throw bodies backwards so you can do without a punch-through mod to some degree. Depending on if you use punch-through or not and if the bolt effect satisfies you or not, this could result in damage gains.

I do not know why Stug is still so popular. It has good numbers, but it's such a wonky weapon that it becomes hard to apply that damage, and eventually when enemies get tough (where you want the best; see topic) it will become dangerous to use as the enemies charge and bring that damage right back over to you. I guess if you like it and you stack CC on something like Vauban... but I'd call it a niche weapon, not "THE BEST" secondary by any means.

Edited by VKhaun

I do not know why Stug is still so popular. It has good numbers, but it's such a wonky weapon that it becomes hard to apply that damage, and eventually when enemies get tough (where you want the best; see topic) it will become dangerous to use as the enemies charge and bring that damage right back over to you. I guess if you like it and you stack CC on something like Vauban... but I'd call it a niche weapon, not "THE BEST" secondary by any means.

People see the Stug as good because it's non-research based corrosive damage, it's relatively easy to make for new players, but the comparison ends there.

It has a horribly poor arc, the firing rate depends on semi-automatic macro mice or having a twitchy finger, and the explosion radius isn't good.  Outside of fighting Grineer, the Stug isn't good.

I like the Acrid for the perfect aim and Despair for the innate armor piercing damage (and two polarities upon creation), but if I could get the Brakk or Detron I'd enjoy them for the fact that they both provide high damage, short range secondaries.  Detron for Heavies, or the Brakk for the balanced damage types.  My twin gremlins haven't impressed me much once I get to 50+ level waves, due to accuracy and sporadic flight time.

I'll have to give my opinion once I get my Twin Wraith Vipers from Cicero in a few days.

+1

Also the 'bolt' projectiles throw bodies backwards so you can do without a punch-through mod to some degree. Depending on if you use punch-through or not and if the bolt effect satisfies you or not, this could result in damage gains.

Most of us who have used a GES Bio Rifle in our time have no trouble at all applying damage with the Stug.

Stug is very good - if you're good at using it. Certainly has a pretty tough drawback in self inflicted damage and target tracking, but a couple days spent Osprey hunting with it and you'll be fine >.>

The Shotgun Pistols just wreck everything else DPSwise, good old Bronco Prime is still a top contender even with the Brakk and Detron out there.

Acrid/Despair/Akbolto are excellent options, but if you want a hitscan weapon it gets tougher. Basically boils down to the Aklex, Akmagnus, and Twin Vastos. Akmagnus work very well with a crit build so they're my favorite of the three.