Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Rainbow Builds 2.0

-HAKUNA-YOUR-TATAS-

Question

Hey Everybody!  Hope you're all as amp'ed as I am for a possible U12 release today.  =)

Rainbow Builds 2.0...  With the release of Damage 2.0 I'm still finding myself stacking multiple elementals on my weapons, because the damage is just too good to ignore, and it seems to be smarter than using simple impact, puncture and slash damage mods.

In most cases we can only use 2 combo elementals per build, barring those weapons that use a combo elemental as their main damage type (stug, tysis and detron, etc.) so you either get:

-corrosive with blast

-radiation with viral

-magnetic with gas

My questions to you all are:

Do any of you actually use any of the above 3 combos and/or why?  If not, do you use a single combo elemental along with a regular elemental?

Please discuss.

=)

Edited by sushidubya

All weapons should be locked to 2 elemental mods. 

Innate weapons would become more viable because they could have a bit more variety. And we could finally start using other mods like Mutations, Zoom, or Recoil reducer.

You can use those mods right now if you want.  In fact I use the mutation mods on occasion.  I don't avoid using zoom and recoil reduction because I feel locked into a rainbow build.  I avoid using those mods because they suck.

You can use those mods right now if you want.  In fact I use the mutation mods on occasion.  I don't avoid using zoom and recoil reduction because I feel locked into a rainbow build.  I avoid using those mods because they suck.

It does not help that there is no place where the default weapon zoom is not good enough to land a perfect headshot with any accurate gun and on most maps more zoom will make you miss your shot.

I disagree rainbow builds are now just general builds but now we can specialize our damage based on faction or playstyle. before it was slap every damage mod on and go crazy. While it is confusing a small tutorial would be extremely handy or in game wiki type thing in the codex.

It depends on the gun, but yeah, 4 elemental builds really haven't changed. We just replaced Armor Piercing elemental with Toxic.

Sure, some guns use a crit build instead of 4 elements, and others need ammo, reload, or mag size, but look at an optimal Penta build:

Serration

Multishot

Heavy Calibur

Firestorm

+

4 elementals  (Wildfire is still an elemental mod)

Blast + Radiation + Viral + Max Serration  + Max Multishoot Ogris .. oh the fun...at least until i miss fire. >.>

Oh man, never thought to do that.  It's sounds like allot of fun.  I'll have to try.  =)

Idk I have no problem with it, what you do in the bedroom is your business not mine

554992_1404951159723363_2009883807_n.jpg

LOL.  Yeah I like the current system, but I wish there were more dual stat mods like wildfire, stunning speed, ice storm, malignant force, etc.  so I can either stack damage or for some utility.

EDIT: Grammar, typos.  XD

Edited by sushidubya

LOL.  Yeah I like the current system, but I wish there were more dual stat mods like wildfire, stunning speed, ice storm, malignant force, etc.  so I can either stack damage or some utility.

Dual-stat mods were one of the best parts of Mod 1.0 IMO.  I'd love to see more of them in the future, maybe associated with whatever DE has in mind for 'end game' content.

rainbow builds never vanished at all, we have fewer damage types possible to potentially "proc", but we still have to fit the same number of elemental mods.

there rainbow's still here, it just does something different now.

Edited by Methanoid

a rainbow build was called a rainbow build because no matter what it increased overall damage. this is no longer the case, hence rainbow builds are dead.

while yeah, there are different builds, and each can be good, but no build is possible that is the absolutely best build for every enemy, not even for every faction. meaning you not only have to choose what build for what faction, but also what build for what enemy. usually the biggest threat. but you have to be careful, adding the wrong mod can both lower dps and waste a mod slot.

example, ferrite armor vs corrosive/blast or corrosive/cold, both do the same damage but the latter doesnt waste an 11 point mod slot

Edited by HillsAndTheSea

I use Toxin and Radiation on my Hind, seems to handle almost anything just fine. The Toxin is just for Corpus to bypass their shields. I wish I could say Radiation was helping by confusing enemies all the time, but I never notice it. Now using a Dera with the same combo, feels good since it can handle Grineer a little easier too.

I don't really have a favorite sidearm yet, so I mod that to cover whatever enemy I might have trouble with.

In the Void, I've modified my Sobek into a Blast + Corrosive monster.  Why?

Well, Blast knocks down heavies, even if it is 25% weaker against them.  But, Corrosive is 75% stronger against them too.

The combination provides for a perfect setup to spray down into a group, knock them all down, drop their armor, and let my allies mop up with ease.

All weapons should be locked to 2 elemental mods.

Innate weapons would become more viable because they could have a bit more variety. And we could finally start using other mods like Mutations, Zoom, or Recoil reducer.

A good compromise to this would be to still allow however many elemental mods someone wants but only apply 1 or 2 combo's max.

Hey Everybody!  Hope you're all as amp'ed as I am for a possible U12 release today.  =)

Rainbow Builds 2.0...  With the release of Damage 2.0 I'm still finding myself stacking multiple elementals on my weapons, because the damage is just too good to ignore, and it seems to be smarter than using simple impact, puncture and slash damage mods.

In most cases we can only use 2 combo elementals per build, barring those weapons that use a combo elemental as their main damage type (stug, tysis and detron, etc.) so you either get:

-corrosive with blast

-radiation with viral

-magnetic with gas

My questions to you all are:

Do any of you actually use any of the above 3 combos and/or why?  If not, do you use a single combo elemental along with a regular elemental?

Please discuss.

=)

I use radiation + viral for grineer, because the radiation deals with the biggest threats (napalms/bombards, also elite lancers though they're weaksauce) and the viral hits all grineer health pretty heavily.

I miss the old rainbow builds. You actually got status effects. Now, there's no point in pretending you'll actually activate any of them.

As far as what I've actually combined, I've been on a "reach r15 kick", so I keep shuffling between unpotatoed weapons. The only actual combo I'm sporting atm is blast+corrosive on my DMR. It appears to be doing a good job.

I use radiation + viral for grineer, because the radiation deals with the biggest threats (napalms/bombards, also elite lancers though they're weaksauce) and the viral hits all grineer health pretty heavily.

Yes agreed I moved away from corrosive since my normal damage mods have no issue taking care of light units. :)

I miss the old rainbow builds. You actually got status effects. Now, there's no point in pretending you'll actually activate any of them.

This.

It all feels like extra damage, and most dont feel like actual element weapons.

A suggstion might be to have a max of four mods which effect damage in any way. Eg: bane + 3 elememts, or base + crit damage + 2 elememts, or 3 base damage + 1 element. Leaving 4 slots for anything else.

Personally i think a better idea might be that elements do not do extra innate damage, but just change base damage to the element type, and add proc chance. So the point of an elemental mod is for am effect, or to align a gun to an enemies weakness.

But back on topic, i usually do the following if not leveling weapons:

- secondary has viral+radiation. Used as an anti boss, big guy or stalker killer.

- melee whatever, typically blast, as its funny knocking them down sometimes.

Them primary i swap for faction:

- ignis has heat + corrosive.

- soma has magnetic + crit.

Nice easy way of covering all bases, without have to fiddle with A B C stuff.