Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

A Simple Fix For The Frost Outcries...

Hybridon

Frosts Globy Globe was loved because it allowed players to go up to high levels in defense, keeping the pod protected, cause at a certain number of waves enemies just shatter the pod with a few shots, maybe even 1-2 hits, making it virtually impossible to go to high waves without Frosty.

The fix is very simple, now that Snowglobe got "nerfed" (even thouigh I agree with the change to a certain extent):

1 - Have the cryos health be around X hits from enemies. So lets say we aimed for a 50 hit cap, the cryo needs to be hit 50 times for its health to go down to 0. It regains health at X% per second.

2 - Cap enemy damage. This may also help obsolete frames have a space in Defense, instead of the same Frost/Nova bla bla bla combination people ask for when goin to high waves. Enemies already get a buff in health, armor, shields. Cap there damage so that you dont get one-hitted pods, one-hitted frames, etc.

Why have healing frames (oberon, trinity) if those powers become useless once enemies start to do so much damage, theres no real difference if you have a max Redirection, Vitality, etc equipped?

P.S. Then you can go and balance all frames to an extent.

Edited by Hybridon

On the topic of healing frames, I don't think Blessing ever becomes obsolete, and Oberon's heal (name escapes me at the moment) can auto-revive during it's duration.

Back on the topic of Frost: One of the big changes I can see coming out of this "nerf" is the necessity for players to actually stay near the cryopod during defense missions. I'm sure we've all seen Ramboframe running off to camp a doorway while the pod gets hammered by MOAs or Chargers.  Now that Snow Globe isn't a Fire-and-Forget skill people will actually have to defend (weird right?) the cryopod. 

On top of that, it encourages frame diversity. So maybe Snow Globe loses effectiveness at higher waves. Pick a Nyx and Chaos the waves to death. Pick a Loki and Disarm everyone. Vauban is still very viable with Vortex and Bastille. Even Nekros is useful to a degree with his clone deathsquad.

I don't think that capping enemy damage or modifying the cryopod is necessary. Capping damage just makes bullet spongey enemies that don't feel dangerous but still take ages to kill at higher levels (Borderlands had this issue). Changing the cryopod to your proposed system doesn't solve the fact that MOAs, Chargers, Toxic Ancients and a lot of other enemies have high attack rates/high rates of fire that would burn the cryopod down even at low levels. 

On the topic of healing frames, I don't think Blessing ever becomes obsolete, and Oberon's heal (name escapes me at the moment) can auto-revive during it's duration.

Back on the topic of Frost: One of the big changes I can see coming out of this "nerf" is the necessity for players to actually stay near the cryopod during defense missions. I'm sure we've all seen Ramboframe running off to camp a doorway while the pod gets hammered by MOAs or Chargers.  Now that Snow Globe isn't a Fire-and-Forget skill people will actually have to defend (weird right?) the cryopod. 

On top of that, it encourages frame diversity. So maybe Snow Globe loses effectiveness at higher waves. Pick a Nyx and Chaos the waves to death. Pick a Loki and Disarm everyone. Vauban is still very viable with Vortex and Bastille. Even Nekros is useful to a degree with his clone deathsquad.

I don't think that capping enemy damage or modifying the cryopod is necessary. Capping damage just makes bullet spongey enemies that don't feel dangerous but still take ages to kill at higher levels (Borderlands had this issue). Changing the cryopod to your proposed system doesn't solve the fact that MOAs, Chargers, Toxic Ancients and a lot of other enemies have high attack rates/high rates of fire that would burn the cryopod down even at low levels. 

Blessing grants invincibility, on high levels its useful because of that, and only that, because there is no way to heal a person that gets one-hitted. And you see people gettin one-hitted the moment blessing ends.

Oberons healing also, at a certain point it gets obsolete, because for the person to have it attached, they have to lose health, if you get one-shotted, then you cant revive, because the ability does not attach itself, cause you lost max health at once.

As to Frost, he did need the changes, and still will need work, like other frames are still bein worked on. The problem is the current defense mechanism does not reward at all skill and strategy. Once an enemy one-hits the pod, it isnt about skill and takin care of the pod, because the amount of enemies makes it virtually impossible to avoid one enemy hitting the pod and giving you a failure.

When I said cap the damage, it isnt to cap it at what level 1s and 2s currently deal, but at higher waves, as long as it doesnt one-hit us. Taking a few hits and being downed is part of the process. You have to work your way into not being hit at all.

Heck, Ive seen people doing ODD up to wave 78, and losing because a single Eletric Crawler decided to hit the pod, and killed it instantly. Wheres the skill involved then? You already have to use countless rounds of ammo to kill a single enemy, but all it needs is one shot to bring in mayhem, thats not difficult or challenging, its just boring.

Edited by Hybridon

Freeze - Sentinel need to stop shooting frozen enemies because he instant cancel freeze and freeze need to have small AOE like 2-3 meters
Ice Wave - It should slow enemies for longer time
Snow Globe - just bring back old one that slowing effect work with Power Range mods and nerf it from 30 seconds to 15 seconds duration
Avalanche - Freeze enemies for some seconds 5-6. Update 12.0.1 Adding maxed Stretch mod making Avalanche freeze all near enemies for couple of seconds, it doesn't work always but wokrs. I think it is a bug and Avalanche need to freeze them oryginally without Stretch mod and works always.

Edited by IfritKajiTora

1 - Have the cryos health be around X hits from enemies. So lets say we aimed for a 50 hit cap, the cryo needs to be hit 50 times for its health to go down to 0.

That means jack nothing when most Corpus and Grineer enemies (you know, the ones whose bullets are supposed to be absorbed) have automatic weapons and shotguns. A squad of Grineer Lancers would have that shield down in about 2 seconds on Terminus.

That means jack nothing when most Corpus and Grineer enemies (you know, the ones whose bullets are supposed to be absorbed) have automatic weapons and shotguns. A squad of Grineer Lancers would have that shield down in about 2 seconds on Terminus.

Thats why I used a hypothetical value, plus the aim of defending is you have to avoid it getting shot. Once you reach a certain level there isnt real skill or strategy, it all bottles to not letting a single shot land, while my idea gives you a margin of error, of natural error that always happens no matter what level they are.

Edited by Hybridon